Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Search Forums  
Tags:  No tags yet. 

What is a Military Bit?

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by madmurdoc
  • Latest reply from mrenglish
  1. madmurdoc


    Senior Member
    Joined: Dec 2012
    Posts: 329


    Login to Send PM

    The Dr. Grabow Omega I have says Military Push Bit on the package. What exactly is a Military Push Bit, and what are some other kinds of bits?

    “The same hand that can write a beautiful poem, can knock you out with one punch—that's Poetic Justice.”
    ― "Irish" Wayne Kelly
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. hans


    Joined: Dec 2012
    Posts: 196


    Login to Send PM

    Google is your friend.
    Found this on another site.

    "A military bit (aka army mount) is one where the tenon of the stem attaches to the shank at a metal-covered socket.

    The Peterson Army pipes are a nice illustration of these: like so.

    I've heard two stories as to the etymology of the term:
    1. It originates from a hasty pipe repair in the field of combat, possibly using a spent brass round.
    2. The style was designed to be broken down quickly in the field, e.g. in case of the need for total darkness or quick movement. The metal fitment allows you to remove the stem from a hot pipe with less stress on the wood."

    Click here

    "Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires."
    - John Steinbeck
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. ohin3


    Preferred Member
    Joined: Jun 2010
    Posts: 2,682


    Login to Send PM

    The bit simply wedges into the pipe rather than having a mortice and tenon that fit together.

    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. eaglerico


    Preferred Member
    Joined: Jan 2011
    Posts: 1,205


    Login to Send PM

    Check this out

    Pipedia Pipes Parts

    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. rmbittner


    Preferred Member
    Joined: Dec 2012
    Posts: 2,177


    Login to Send PM

    As far as I'm aware, the "military" bit is one of the few whose name refers to the way the tenon-end of the pipe meets the pipe shank. There are also "thread" or "screw" bits, which actually screw into the shank (fairly common on meerschaums but not on anything else). All of the other bit names refer to the overall shape of the bit or the specific shape of the mouthpiece. Nowadays, you're not likely to see an orific bit, which is a round hole at the end of the mouthpiece (rather than a broad opening). Most common is the wedge bit, which if extended a little on the sides might be called a "fishtail." You're also likely to encounter a steck bit, which features a hole on the *top* of the bit, for projecting the smoke to the roof of the mouth rather than the tongue. (Handy if your tongue is tired out.) These are most popular on Peterson pipes and, due to their shape (and the strong Peterson association), are also called P-lip bits.


    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. ssjones


    Joined: May 2011
    Posts: 6,812


    Login to Send PM

    I gather a silver-spigot is the same as a military bit, just with a metal (silver) clad stem piece?


    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. mrenglish


    Preferred Member
    Joined: Dec 2010
    Posts: 1,502


    Login to Send PM

    Hey Al, you would be correct!

    Posted 1 year ago #


You must log in to post.



    Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

   Members Online Now
   buzkirk, tbradsim1, dermotfahy, condorlover1, petes03, andya27, david555, natibo, sidious, sparks, darthcider, texmexpipe, pitchfork, voorhees, lestrout, samcoffeeman, darwin, mrenglish