PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
9F7AC44F-79B7-4EE2-BB44-B048F594A949_zpsbma5bsuh.jpg

This forum is a product of the human condition. Of course it is; it is created by humans. We see rudeness and uncouth conduct. We are witness to instigation and hyperbole. We watch as danielplainview gets the short end of a transaction at the hands of a Brother of the Briar. Worry not, these are only the drawbacks of a thriving forum and there is so much more to be gained.
On a separate thread I mentioned having never had the opportunity to try the mysterious, sought after, almighty and holy grail Penzance. Just the name draws allure. Pipe smokers from around the world creep in closer to listen...P E N Z A N C E... Shh, can you feel it...I can dear reader. Check this out.
In the aforementioned thread a Brother of the Briar stepped up and, without being asked, offered me an opportunity to try Penzance.
Little did I know he would send me an unopened tin.
I would never have imagined it would be aged, let alone from the year 1999.
When he refused my offer to cover the shipping expense I was floored.
When he sent me a link to his virtual cellar and asked that I choose a few more items to make it worth the shipping expense my jaw fell so hard it cracked the concrete beneath me. (see? hyperbole)
The package showing up in 5 days having traveled over 6,000 miles was impressive. The fact that the whole interaction happened in less than seven was unimaginable.
The fact that he refused any and I mean ANY compensation is nothing short of true kindness. I have done nothing for him. I am in no real position to repay this gesture. He owes me nothing and yet here I am with his amazing gift. What is a friend? In my book a friend is someone who spends effort doing for you. Don't agree? Can we not agree that an enemy is someone who goes out of his way to detract from you.
Tarheel1 is my friend. I have never met him, never heard his voice but he is my friend. He has asked for nothing in return. I will make it up to him as best I can. I have no Penzance other than what he gave me but I have a few ideas. What are they, you may ask? Sorry, it's between friends.
j/B

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
That's superb pipebaum, what a wonderful gesture and a noble post by you, and a nice balm to another thread you alluded to. I agree with the broad point you make about what is a friend and should like to add to me a friend is also a person that you may not see from one year to the next and yet you pick up as you left off.
Yet in this instance a generous stranger has become a friend so an added bonus is to be had also.
I reckon you should put the Penzance to good use in your new poker and meditate upon contentment.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
pipebaum81:
Isn't it grand how a simple piece of wood and rubber, and some tobacco to fuel it, can bond men (and women) of disparate backgrounds? As Thomas Chandler Haliburton said in his book titled "Sam Slick, the Clockmaker: The Sayings and Doings of Samuel Slick, of Slickville," "The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It is the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
Based upon your description of tarheel1's benevolence, I believe that he may safely be included in Mr. Slick's list as stated in the last sentence of the quote above. God bless him, and you.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Hunter I had not come across the quote before,it most certainly made me smile. Good on you for sharing it.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I hope you enjoy the tobacco. Penzance is my favorite and I am glad I could share it. If the box was bigger I would have included more tobacco. As I said before I am not expecting anything in return. Many brothers of the briar have been kind and sent me samples of tobacco I have wanted to try and I wanted to pay it forward. We are both brothers in arms as well as brothers of the briar and leaf.
It is unfortunate that a bad apple slides in amongst the rest. Those that are here to take advantage by price gouging or cheating brothers are not the norm when it comes to our group of people. You will find most pipe smokers to be kind and friendly and courteous. Almost as if they were of a generation of old. The more kindness and friendship we spread touches individuals. This usually changes the individual for the better. The more we touch the better the world becomes, and boy does it need it. Just remember the kindness shared and spread the joy. Pass the kindness on to another so we can change the world one small piece at a time.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Had I been asked previously what my expectations of a Briar Forum would be, this would not have been one of them. Based on my experiences elsewhere, I would've expected far more deception than honor, far more thievery than giving. I would've been wrong. I am proud to be a member of this forum and I'm not overstating this. Some will view us as being overly dramatic in our reaction, but I don't think we're being overly dramatic at all.... Well perhaps a tiny bit, but when it seems everybody is asking "where is mine" and "I'm entitled", for someone willing to give rather than take.... Tis very very cool and I'm glad to see it. VERY WELL SAID jB!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
tarheel1:
I was unaware that you were a serviceman, and so I thank you (and pipebaum81) for your service to our country. Is the emblem shown in your avatar military? If so, then for which branch, and what does the motto thereon mean?

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Very nice all around, what a great and generous gesture by tarheel. Good on you, brother, and thank you both for your service to this great country. Aged Penzance is the tits, man. I bought a tin with a few years of age on it from a member on here and it was very very smooth and delicious. The bag i have now is pretty fresh and there is a dramatic difference in the two, IMO. Enjoy the little slice of heaven and the rest of the baccy, buddy.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Pipebaum you could't have said it any better. I've had the same experience, given tobaccos to try and a mind to pick with different beginner questions. I know these good deeds will be paid back and forward, just not 100% how.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A Brother of the Briar is a friend. To take up the burl of the white Heath, a cob, the white goddess, or whatever friendly receptacle of the noble leaf you may favor, and not be better for it to your fellows is utterly dispicable. The image of the pipesmoker is supposed to convey kindness and merryment, to do otherwise is a black mark for us all. Thank you for your deep and insightful thoughts pipebaum, and I too was deeply saddened by danielplainview's experience as it will surely leave a mark on trusting others on the forum. Sorry for the rant, pipes have just always meant more to me than just a bowl to smoke tobacco out of.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I believe that I would be considered an outlier, politically speaking, as a member of this forum. I am a strong gun control advocate, I support the Affordable Care Act and other clearly liberal leanings. However, I would be honored to sit with any member of this forum and smoke a pipe in philosophical discord at any time. That would appear to be the strength of the forum and the impact of the pipe.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
The more kindness and friendship we spread touches individuals. This usually changes the individual for the better. The more we touch the better the world becomes, and boy does it need it. Just remember the kindness shared and spread the joy. Pass the kindness on to another so we can change the world one small piece at a time.
So true and well said! You have my respect tarheel1! :clap:

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
Where to start?
oldreddog, your recomendation to break in my new Ferndown is exactly what Tarheel suggested. I will indeed honor him by using his tobacco first to be the first smoke in my new briar. Great idea!
huntertrw, your input never disappoints. The quote you offered up says it all.
for someone willing to give rather than take.... Tis very very cool and I'm glad to see it
Nate, so well put. The vast majority of people here seek to share. Whether it be information, kinship, time, or a good deal. A beautiful part of the interactions here is that they have a life after-the-fact and away from the forum. When I smoke I think of all those who have impacted me and my piping process. I almost always smoke by myself but never alone.
chasingembers, I see no rant just good insight. Tarheel's kindness could not have come at a better time. The forum may have needed a bit of reassurance.
Thank you to all who have read thus far.
j/B

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
This is the perfect example of why I keep coming back to read the thoughts of the members of this forum.
While there have been a few duds in the couple of months I've visited here; the out-pouring of goodwill and support on this forum is phenomenal.
I'm proud to be call myself a member of this community.
To my fellow service members, veteran and currently serving alike, know that you are admired and loved for your sacrifice and service.
OooRah!
Rob West

146th Medical Company AA, First AD

Desert Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.