PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
So I've been buying tons of different tobaccos in small amounts to find out what I like. There are two particular tobaccos I bought that have a similar taste. I am not sure how to explain it other than a bit of soap taste. C&D Nutty Irishman and C&D Irish blessing. Could someone tell me what it is as to avoid? Should I expect soap in all things called Irish? Or am I just crazy?

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
It sounds like the taste of regret. Now I have two to add to my "want to try" list. Thanks man. :)

Jan 8, 2013
Maybe there are Leprechaun "parts" in those blends.
That's exactly what happened. Before the blend's creation, a drunk leprechaun was stumbling along, nose as red as his hair from a bit too much drink, looking at some uncut tobacco leaf. With a terrible case of the hic-ups, from again a bit too much drink, he hic-upped a mighty hic-up, causing him to lose his balance and he fell right into a tobacco shredder. That tobacco made it into both of those blends. Well the blender, at first horrified by the death of the wee little fellow, and somewhat perturbed he never found out where the leprechaun's pot of gold was hidden, and not wanting to let good leaf go to waste, blended it up and smoked it. He liked it so much he hunted down all the remaining leprechauns in the world. He now keeps them down in a dark basement, shackled, and chained to the floor, until it's time to replenish the blend. Then he makes the leprechauns draw straws, the shortest straw meaning that leprechaun will be shredded and blended much like the first. Remember that next time you smoke these blends, you're contributing to the slavery and genocide of leprechauns.
Help stop leprechaun slavery and genocide by calling the Leprechaun Protection Foundation at 1-800-777-GOLD

This has been a public service announcement.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Uper-
Sorry, you have a handful of smart-ass "answers", and I don't know those blends. My guess is they both contain a lot of burley with the same topping. I do hope you get at least one informed opinion.

Jan 8, 2013
Glad you liked the story lol.
All joking aside, perhaps you're getting that flavor from the cavendish in the blends. Try another C&D blend containing black cavendish and see if you get that same flavor. You might be interpreting the flavor in an odd way mixed with the other components.
Edit to add: It could be the topping that you're interpreting in a soapy manner as well.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Sorry, you have a handful of smart-ass "answers"

Yes, I resemble that remark.
Uperepik - I can only guess it is a Lakeland essence. A regional, flowery, grandma's soap type flavor popular to some across the pond and in America. I really like it, actually. PM your terms and I may be able to take it off your hands. Now that I have behaved as an adult for two minutes, I am bushed.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Soapy may not be the right description, can't really put my finger on it but it's different for sure.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's your palate and it's like no other so, you really are on your own. Check what is in the blends. Then, try something totally different with "Irish" in the name. You'll start to narrow down the culprit which is offending your taste buds.

Mar 1, 2014
This is a perfect example of why people need to stop calling Lakeland blends "Soapy".
Soap tastes nothing like Floral Extract.

People are well aware of what soap tastes like outside of just the smell. Anyone who makes the association between Lakeland blends and Soap without specifying that the smell is the only similarity is really just trying to be misleading.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
They apparently both have a liqueur called Irish mist, maybe that's the culprit

This is the only common denominator that comes to mind to me. Clover? Heather? I don't read soap, but I do detect floral ...

This is a perfect example of why people need to stop calling Lakeland blends "Soapy".

I tend to agree (I just find all the jokes about Lakeland "soapiness" funny :lol: ). When I think Lakeland, I think floral, like Geranium. I have sampled a couple blends in the past that had too much deer tongue that made me think more soap than vanilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.