PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2013
Especially when breaking in a new pipe, what if your smoke gets interrupted and you have to stop halfway through?
Other than it being a travesty (haha), should you tamp it out and re-light it later? Should you empty out all the contents of the bowl, unsmoked tobacco and all and let the pipe rest?
What do you think, oh masters of pipe lore?

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Happens to me all the time -- I get interrupted, lay the pipe down, and take it up again later.
No problem, just re-tamp. re-light, and you're off and running. If it gurgles a little just run a cleaner down the stem.
What always amazes me is how it sometimes tastes different after a hiatus, fresh and new, like the first pipe of the day!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I am not a master nor know what I talk about, but depending on the baccy & pipe, will light it up later & is good. Better taste results than from most cigars.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I have had a similar problem in that I have trouble knowing when i've actually finished the bowl in my new pipes. I think I am done then dump out the ashes and the bottom has no cake.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
You can use the tier break in method if you're worried about not smoking the bottom of the bowl; I generally don't worry too much about it; but others swear by it.

carbz13

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2013
Last time I was at Boswells, JM gave me a little tip I have yet to try. He said he likes to pack a full bowl first thing in the morning and smoke it for 5-10 minutes at a time spaced throughout the day. He said it's a completely different experience, and that he highly recommends it.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I agree here, I think it is ok to lay down a pipe and come back to it later, especially a new pipe being broken in. I always go back to a unfinished bowl and complete the smoking process to the bottom of the bowl.
mike.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Generally Virginia based tobacco's seem to work best with DGT but I do this all the time with other styles of tobacco's as well.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Last time I was at Boswells, JM gave me a little tip I have yet to try. He said he likes to pack a full bowl first thing in the morning and smoke it for 5-10 minutes at a time spaced throughout the day. He said it's a completely different experience, and that he highly recommends it.
-Good call carbz. This is what I do sometimes at work. I can stretch one bowl out all day and yes it is a great way to enjoy a pipe and a favorite tobacco. Works very well with Virginia based blends and flakes.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
At work we only get 15min break twice a day. I eat a light meal and have about 10mins to smoke. I will smoke one bowl for the whole day; Light it in the car for the 7min drive in. Smoke a bit before starting. A few puffs at first break, a few puffs at second break. At shift end I finish the bowl within 5min then pack another to smoke while waiting to punch out and for the drive home. I've never noticed anything different other than the slight taste of 're-fry' at the beginning.
Keeping the pipe in my pocket I get ash and half burned bits falling out of the bowl. I have burned holes in the pocket of my work shirt and jacket but that's the way she goes sometimes. Thinking of making those 'plugs' from wine corks I saw on here to prevent any other shirts or jackets pockets from getting ruined again.

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
I lay down a pipe and come back to it all the time, usually not much worse and sometimes better than when I left it.

Ive yet to burn a hole in my pocket with a pipe in it, maybe I should quit while Im ahead.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I generally just light it up again after maybe a 15-30 minute break. One blend that tasted horrible after a 15 minute break was Peterson 3P's, it was just bitter and nasty. I have not seen a blend go bad that quickly before.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I relight until it doesn't taste good and then call it a day. If it's a brand new never smoked pipe, I smoke a couple bowls of Carter Hall. It burns so well that even I can always smoke that to the bottom of the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.