PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
As I start collecting more and more tobacco. Last night I had an oh shit moment. What if? What if-I just lost interest of smoking and collecting various tobaccos. Or health reasons forced me to stop. Now this could happen to anyone on the board and I pray it doesn't.
But what is your thought? Am I the only person that looks at my tobacco stash and thinks, Oh shit; that's a lot of tobacco. It would be a total waste if I had to part with it.
I would like to hear what your back up plan is-if you had to unload your tobacco for some unforeseen circumstance , Cause lord knows I don't have a back up plan. Do you pick your brands not only for taste but resale value?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If I have to sell off my cellar, jarred items would be offered for sale here. Unopened tins, I would sell through Pipestud. If I die, Sablebrush (Jesse) is the beneficiary of my stash.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Don't even think about it. Resale value doesn't mean anything to me, and seeing someone gouging tobacco prices makes me sick. If I ever come to a point that I'm not got going to do it anymore, most of my collection will go in the trash, and I'll keep the rest for decoration.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"...most of my collection will go in the trash..."
But...but...what about us poor tobaccoless orphans? :crying:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would probably ask here first, but there wouldn't be any selling. I'd just give it away. One member found out that I threw a Dunhill pipe in the trash, and sent me a PM pleading to send him pipes before I threw them away. :rofl:

TAD is like bolemia or any eating disorder. When they look in the mirror, they will always see a fat person, even as their muscles and face draws in.

I have never, ever, ever looked at my 200+ lbs of tobacco and thought that I had enough. And, the certainty that I will never stop smoking my pipe, has never had me question myself. The person who has the most tobacco when they die is the winner. And, my family is instructed to put all of my pipes and tobacco in the crematory with me when they fire it up. The very idea of someone else enjoying my pipes or my tobacco enrages me. I just hope my wife can find another husband.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Wilson, having been in the situation, here's what I did.
6 years ago I had two heart attacks. Flat lined twice in the process. I guess I needed both to prove to my exes I'm not a heartless ba&^%d. ;)
Once released it was suggested I alter my "life style". Which I did. Diet changes, plus sold off, gave away, etc all my pipes, tobacco, tampers, cigars etc. Almost everything. The only one item I saved ( unintentionally ) was a special Ming Kahuna tamper, which Art made for me, that has never been used, an only recently was re found.
After 18 months of being tobacco free, I decided to buy and enjoy a cigar. Lights went on. Life is too short to not enjoy it. Then started to try and re build a collection from ground up. I lost so many pipes that I can never replace. It was a huge mistake. I should have just packed everything up, nice an tidy, labeled, with information about each item, and stored it away. That way if something happened to me, my family would know what to do with the contents of the container.
I do get this question asked a lot by clients, that have health issues. As I've been there, here is my advice.
Do what you need to do, IF you're forced to stopping smoking. BUT >>>>>>>> pack at least 1/2 lb of your favorite blend, a tamper, some pipe cleaners, and 3 pipes. Put the pipe in socks and in boxes, if possible. Pack all into a large enough box, label, and store somewhere safe. That way if you do ever decide to jump back in you're not starting from scratch.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Cosmic might have the right idea.

my family is instructed to put all of my pipes and tobacco in the crematory with me when they fire it up
:lol:
Although I think that I would sell everything through pipestud, and hopefully I could give away my 100 plus mason jars on this forum. I don't see that being much of a problem..

Enjoyment is for the living, enjoy while you have time. And I hope my pipes that are of value could be smoked and loved by a few more owners in the distant future.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
I'd probably look to trade for things I might be interested in, ie, I'll swap you x-amount of tobacco for a cool old pocket knife, or whatever--lots of folk are interested in swapping things they've grown tired of but that someone else would absolutely appreciate and be glad to have & use. I've done this a few times before and both parties always feel happy about the swap.
After that, I'd defo go the route of putting whatever extra I had up online here & on a couple other websites. Let a group of like-minded people see if there was anything they'd like a crack at.

Hey, if you can stand the idea of letting any of the tobacco go, then why on earth would you just be getting rid of it, to be getting rid of it. At some point, no one will even see these blends again. And, if you want to trade a few tins for a doodad now, just think of what you could trade it for after tobacco is illegal. You could trade it for a car, gasoline, or drinking water. But, sure, sure, trade it for a whimsidoodle now, as opposed to holding on to it and getting something better later on.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've included instructions regarding my cellar and my pipe collection in my Will which is essentially to either sell it off at a pipe show or consign it. But if I should make the decision to give up pipes and tobacco before I shuffle off this mortal coil, I've considered several options. I could take the pile to a pipe show, set up a table, and sell it off. I could consign it to Pipestud. I could gift it, or some of it, to Shaintiques for his free pipe project, and gift some to other friends that I have in the pipe smoking community. Or I could do a combination of any of the above.
Right now, I'm just enjoying what I have. If that ends before I croak out, I'll dispose of the tobaccos and keep a few of my most interesting pipes. At this point I have more than I need, which is why I've essentially discontinued buying pipes and tobaccos.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
I gave up smoking 20+ years ago. Went into bodybuilding and fitness and then got cancer. Told terminal!

Decided to go back to cigar and then pipe smoking consultant said you have nothing to lose.

All my old pipes and things given away so had to start from scratch.

Now having given up work due to health and short on money, pipes and tobacco are a luxury.

If you want to stop keep something's back, you don't know what's round the corner. You may go back to it however you feel now.

Don't trash it give it away on the forum. Others could benefit.

Maybe sell some of the more expensive items.

I still regret the lost pipes I gave away, particularly the red one I had, not sure what make.

So my advice is don't do anything hasty, but try if you can to help other pipe buddies! What goes around comes around!

Just a thought.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I'd sell some with pipestud but most would head to the "free pipes project" that runs on the forum.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
Great info friends. I have no plans on stopping. I was curious to know what members plans are with their cellars. Specially those who have been collecting and storing tobacco for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.