Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

What I Learned From My First Puffs . . .

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by plateauguy
  • Latest reply from Love the briar
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

plateauguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

From Mrs. P: Last night I had my first puffs and here is what I learned:

1. Just because my grampa smoked a pipe, I did not inherit his ability. You have to learn how, and it's harder than it looks. As Roth says, "Patience and Practice."

2. While learning, it's not relaxing. You have to juggle the pipe, lighter, and your mouth. Rob finally had to light the pipe so that I didn't scorch the bowl, or set myself on fire.

3. Just because tobacco smells really good, it doesn't taste like it smells. This was a huge disappointment.

4. My tobacco selection might need to be Mango Tango or something Raspberry. I started with Capt. Black White.

5. I was not dressed right for the occasion. I was too casual. Next time I'll wear my burgandy caftan with the gold paisley print on it. (Come on guys, you knew this one was coming a mile away.)

6. I'll try again, but if I decide that the pipe is not for me, I'll still pack my little Mizzou with tobacco and sit and smell it while Rob enjoys his pipe.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

wilson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mrs. P nailed it. That's what it's like for newbies -- is it packed right, did I light it properly, should I tamp now, or is that too much . . . All except for the needing to dress better part, though she'll probably look elegant with her caftan.

Instead of CBW, maybe some 1Q or C&D Autumn Evening or Berry Good?

Tell her to hang in there. It is harder than it looks, but it's not rocket science and it doesn't take very long to get to the point where you enjoy it. It takes a lifetime, or at least a few decades, to master it (maybe by the time I'm 70?) but it becomes enjoyable pretty quickly. All the more so because she has someone to coach her. After all, Grandpop figured it out and so will she.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. 4dotsasieni

4dotsasieni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Greetings from Tiger Mountain to the Enumclaw Plateau:

All the rest will come eventually, but I can promise you that finding an aromatic that lives up to its hype will not. The more flavor the label promises, the more disappointed you will be. So Mango, Cherry, Raspberry, Egg Nog, Grandma's Brownies, whatever, forget it! Eventually you will find a tobacco whose taste you enjoy, but it will be more the actual tobacco taste, and not the promised exotic casings and flavorings.

I personally have found that the aromatics I enjoy most are the lightest on hype: McClelland's Tastemaster, and 4noggins' Three Blind Moose.

Hang in there and it will all eventually come together as a pleasurable, relaxing experience (and yes, I always wear my burgundy caftan with the gold paisley print on it while smoking.)

"Thus shall you view these fleeting worlds: As bubbles in the stream;
    A lightning flash, a puff of smoke, a phantom, and a pipe dream."
    - The Diamond Sutra (slightly edited for pipe smokers)
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hi again, love the photo and thanks for posting!

You've pretty much got it down ... well, you have the concepts down pat. You are really doing quite well for a "rookie"

Take your time. Hard to do in this push button world of instant gratification, I know, but it isn't a race -- one smoke a day or one smoke a month, whatever works for you.

After all, it's the journey, not the destination.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

plateauguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys for the encouragement to Mrs. P.

I took her to the doctor today and found out that she has double ear infections. That might have affected her first smoke impressions. Anyway, she ready for another go at it as soon as she feels better.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mrs P, if you want something sweet that actually tastes pretty good, I would recommend getting some Boswell's Christmas Cookie or Pennsylvania Dutch Treat or Berry Cobbler. I found all three of those to taste like they smell. You might also want to taste a nice sweet Virginia flake like Astleys 109. it does take time to get the nuances of pipe smoking but if you stick with it, I think you will learn to love it.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts Mrs. P.

Don't give up too quickly. It is true tobaccos rarely taste like how they smell (and Capt Black may not be the best tobacco to start with). Tobacco is, no matter what, tobacco. Even the most fragrant aromatics still taste like tobacco - with just a hint of flavor.

Try 1Q or even better, Wilke Rumcake.

Then begins the trick of getting a good smoke. It takes time and patience - good luck and keep us posted.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

IMO, aromatics are definitely not a beginner's smoke. Tricky to pack and burn properly,
    prone to developing tongue searing moisture, and, since usually heavy on the Burley,
    more alkaline and likely to bite. Better to acquire the taste for tobacco first, perhaps
    Sam Gawith Medium Virginia Flake (fully rubbed out); then venture into flavored blends.
    But if you must, try Low Country Santee, or University Flake (rubbed).

Your tongue will be the final arbiter. Just my 2ยข

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You know there is one aspect to a freshly packed pipe that is often overlooked.
    When you have a nice clean pipe and a freshly packed bowl of some marvelous smelling tobacco.
    You don't have to go for the matches or lighter right away.
    Takes some puffs on that unlit pipe.
    You know that, taste and smell are inextricably linked.
    Oh.... the nuances of the tobacco will come rushing through and you'll say....

Mmmmm tain't bad.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Love the briar

Login to Send PM

I do the same thing L. I often smoke a unlit pipe for quite some time on occasion, I too love the taste and smell as I exhale it threw my nose.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jpmcwjr, haparnold, workman, jfred, alaskanpiper, chilllucky, pipebaum81, cigrmaster, davet, lightxmyfire