PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
One of the things I noticed is when I smoke my pipe my back pain is less. I've been fighting lower back issues for a long time. When I light up I can honestly say it helps my back. Maybe I'm not thinking about it, or it relaxes me. My dad said its because I breath slower. Personally I don't care why I know it works. For me anyway. Any thoughts from anyone else???

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
It could be a combination of things, but tobacco's therapeutic effects have been well-documented--regardless of what the anti-tobacco lobby wants you think.
For example, my nerves are completely shot (long story). When things are at their worst, smoking my pipe brings the calm better than anything else. For that, I'm thankful.

Jul 15, 2011
I shattered the bottom half of my right leg about 10 years ago. It still causes me hellacoiius pain to this day. On the best days, it is horrendous, but smoking a pipe at the end of the day helps to calm the pain, and also helps me calm my nerves from a stressful day at work and kind of levels me out and gets my head back on track. The pipe is most definitely therapeutic, I agree.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have endured low back pain for 30+ years. Even with only occasinal pipe smokine the pain decreased to annoying levels. Maybe it is an fluke, but perhaps I finally found a way to relax.
Winton

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
@Pipe Novelist - I didn't know that ... serious ouch, glad pipe smoking helps.
@jeff59 -
I find pipe smoking to be a mostly calming activity. It's been my escape from every day life where I take time to reflect some.
I liken it to Tibetan monks cultivating and drinking tea, so they can stay alert during meditation. Nicotine has this effect, somewhat.
As any acupuncturist will tell you, stress or depression has a significant impact on your body. If you are in a truly relaxed state, not just idle, it makes sense that you will be better able to rest whatever spinal or muscular problems that give you your back pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.