What Have You Found In Your Estate Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
This is my cellini billiard estate buy. Great size for me. But as I prepare to clean it out I discovered the excessive cake AND the bonus bugs.
That got me wondering what interesting finds have you all discovered in your estate purchases?

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
That is just nasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are some big ol cracks in the bowl. Make sure to let us see it when you are done.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Ouch. That one's gonna be a duzy to clean out. I'd be concerned about the crack on that rim. Give it a good ream down to the bare wood. Attack the shank with nylon brushes and isopropanol. I'd sand down and top the rim. Superglue for the crack. You got a job in front of you. Good luck.

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
So fill the crack with clear superglue? I can't think of how else to repair a crack.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Nice! The worst I've found is cobwebs in one. I also got one onetime that was full of tobacco, and someone had actually done the charring light on it! Makes you wonder why they never finished it. I'm actually smoking that pipe right now, it's a Prince Of Whales rusticated straight billiard.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Wow.
I've never found bugs in an estate, but I have found various amounts of cake and well aged and half-consumed tobacco. On occasion I've found well used chalk philtpads in the bottom of an old bowl. I've also had bowls that were so caked up that I couldn't fit my little finger into the bowl.
I think Kash's course of action is a well laid out plan for that pipe.
-- Pat

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Pat, that's been my experience exactly. I have a very large Denicotea billiard sitting here, just arrived yesterday, with a half-smoked bowl of tobacco in it. What happened? Was the the old man's last breath? Should I put it in a shadow box and not smoke it? Nah... who knows what might be under the crust there? I'm hoping to find a diamond or gold coin some day, but no luck so far. I'll just have to keep buying old pipes, I guess.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I thought I'd gotten some bad ones, but bugs!!!!! My wife wouldn't let another estate pipe in the house if she saw that.
I'd follow Kashmir's advice - he does beautiful work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If anything would dissuade someone from estate pipes, this photo might do it -- a big crack in the rim, a vast

crunchy uneven cake, and a graveyard bug to boot. I know there's a reason I feel a thrill and chill down my spine

when I see an estate pipe is "unsmoked." Most estate pipes are in far better repair than this one, and many have

been professionally sanitized and restored. But in my own case, I am happy with my 30 and 40 year old one-owner

estate pipes that have never met a reamer and likely never will.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Bought an Edwards Skipper bent bulldog that had cobwebs, and what looked like a toothpick jammed in the air passage. Must have had a few layers of grime on the outside as well. Took about two hours to clear the airway w/o resorting to a drill, and several repeat buffings to clean the stummel and stem.

It was worth the effort, because it's a fine smoking pipe.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
+++ eibhir.
Some things are just meant to be recycled. Unless its got sentimental value, or it's a family heirloom, I'd toss it. There's just too many damn fine estate pipes out there to be had for under $50 to try to restore a badly cracked bowl. If you do go ahead, remove all cake down to bare wood. Boil strummel in boiling water for an hour. Replace water several times. Soak overnight in tub of alcohol. Up to a week OK. Change alcohol as it undergoes discoloration. Rub down outside thoroughly with alcohol wipes. Use toothbrush to clean the cracks thoroughly. Clean inside shank with nylon brushes, Qtips and cleaner soaked in alcohol. Dry for a week. Get ypursef three C clamps. Put bits of sponge on clamps. Fill cracks in with superglue. Clamp symmetrically on all sides using three clamps. Till cracks close. Do this before glue as a test, just to make sure cracks seal. If they don't soak in water a couple week, briefly dry cracks and re clamp. Should close now. Then for real apply glue. It's OK if glue oozes out. You'll sand down and re-stain the whole thing later. If this sounds like a lot of work - it is. But worth it of the pipe has MEANING to you or a loved one or a customer. Your call.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Things i have found, solid cake all the way up to a half inch under the rim. Note even a hole in the middle. My guess was cheap goopy tobacco until it was nearly sealed and then gravity filling in the rest after it sat. Pipe cleaners stuck in tar, cobwebs, pieces of stingers or stingers that came off the stem, ancient mold. Oh and here is a suggestion for fixing the bowl. I once saw a dunhill on ebay that had a silver band around the bowl about 2/3rds of the way up, and a crack in the bowl. It was obviously an aftermarket band, now that is sentimental value.
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/04/18/can-a-cracked-bowl-be-repaired-taking-a-lesson-from-gan-barbers-work/

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I wouldn't even mess with that pipe. Not because of the bug, but because repairing that crack probably won't be a one time ordeal. I had a lot of six that I ended up only keeping four of, two of which are still in a bag in my pipe cleaning supply cabinet. I had to toss two because they were dropped so many times and the stems were practically chewed shut, couldn't even get a pipe cleaner into them.
Some things just aren't worth your time. I drew the line on those two pipes early.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
On a related note, I recently bought an Edgeworth tin to use as a prop for my pipe photography. When it arrived, I found this small metal tag rattling around inside.
1474641_10201105742353345_155717254_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.