PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Seemingly a forum-imposed black-out on news from the 2015 West Coast Pipe show. So what say any of the attendees?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Don't have perspective as it is the first show for me ever.
But all's good. Great folks, thousands of pipes, hundreds of tobaccos on sample, friendly and helpful atmosphere. Brian Levine was the speaker last night at the dinner, and the show reopens at ten, closes at three.
I found what I wanted in the first hour, and may bite on another pipe or two today. What I decided I wanted was a rack of 12 Comoys, all beautifully restored by Steve O'Neill. And a nice blast Savinelli, and a small Charatan.
Very nice tobaccos from Standard of PA, especially Smyrna, to be released in December. (They have three John Cotton resurrections.)
This is a lot of good times, and I will plan to return next year.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
" What I decided I wanted was a rack of 12 Comoys, all beautifully restored by Steve O'Neill."
I am a Comoy Fanboy, that would be really nice. Thank you for the on-site info.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Everyone is hung over, or canceled their internet services to pay for the pipes they found...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have just spoken with El President Dan of SToP who is displaying the companies wares at the West Coast Show. Firstly I would like to thank Kevin the owner of Pipes Magazine for all the forum support during the summer in the run up to the launch of these blends which really acted as a 'spring board' to the guerrilla marketing program that SToP launched with our multi continent tobacco tastings. I have to say this has really written the book on how to get a new/old blend into commerce and generate buzz. Again I have to thank Tim (rsuninv) for running the first tasting as well as Jesse and Dave Shaine, Andy Stewart of the UK, who all contributed to the successful launch by running club tastings and to all those who posted their feedback on the forum and cheered us on from the sidelines.
I only had a brief moment to talk to Dan on the phone today and whilst I thought that wearing that Liberace outfit for the Vegas show was a little OTT apparently no one seemed to notice! It would seem that SToP was the chatter of the show and Dan was on his feet all day meeting and talking to people who stopped by the SToP table. According to Dan we got a fantastic reception with people not only after the free samples but genuinely interested in the Standard Tobacco story and how we got to where we are today. If you are going to the Vegas show stop by and say 'Hello' to Dan.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I just just returned from another nights smoke filled room in the tower with friends and fellow collectors. It is always so much fun to spend a long weekend with guys who understand and share my passion for collecting pipes! I picked up a 1993 Castello Pipe of the Year with a silver tobacco leaf band and found a very rare (I got weak in the knees when I saw it) piece of ephemera for the Castello collection from a CA pipe shop who was at the show for the first time. I plan on spending Monday at a favorite cigar shop before I fly home tomorrow night. 8O

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for the updates, guys.
Dave, congrats on your score. Are you going to share a photo, or at least a description of your ephemera find? Inquiring minds, my friend...
JP way to go on your first show. It sounds like you had a wonderful time and are heading home with a handful of new pipes. That's just awesome.
Let's see some pictures, folks.
-- Pat

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For me it's a bucketful! Pix later as I am onna plane. But got 12 station pipe rack......with 12 Comoys beautifully restored by Steve O'Neill. A beautiful black Sav blast and a modest Charatan rounded out my uh needs.
First time atendee and it was well worth spending the time and dough. Plus came away with samples that will take some real time to smoke.
Edit. I see I have largely repeated myself Sorry.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'll post pictures under the West Coast Pipe Show 2015 thread eventually. Recooperating from the show now lol.
I got to sample War Horse and John Cotton's Number 1 which were excellent! I also got to try Luxury Twist Flake and Cube Blend from Stokkebye and I know what else will be in my next TAD.
Picked up a nice clovat from Phil Rivara at the Tobacco Pipe Collectors table. Probably will do a break in bowl this weekend.
As usual I got a Don Warren pipe. This one is a nice maple wood with antler accent an turquoise band. Interested to see how the maple wood is.
Briarworks had an awesome show deal going on their Bambino pipes, $65 for sandblast and $75 for smooth. Great little nose warmers. I picked up a corduroy or wire brush finish black straight Dublin.
Dagner Custom Pipes had an amazing little nose warmer sandblasted straight Rhodesian that was designed in collaboration with Tom Eltang. Can't wait to break that guy in.
Also got to enjoy the Q&A with Russ. Apparently there was some confusion as to which room he was doing it in, so it ended up being a more intimate conversation style event. So glad I was able to track him down and join in. Learned a lot in that hour.
All in all it was a great show!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The Seattle Pipe Club was there with their current blends as well as one new one that's due out some time soon. I didn't sample it because at that pint my tongue was exhausted and I wasn't tasting much of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.