PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I noticed that there are few pipe shows this year in Germany that I might be interested in attending--one in May and another in October.
I feel rather silly asking this question, but what happens at a pipe show? What do you do there? Is it sort of like a pipe bazaar? Can you get some really good deals on pipes? Are there pipe tobacco samples and opportunities to try new blends?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes to all your questions. And you tend to spend more than you planned, so if it matters, take cash and leave the cards home, if you want to limit yourself. Pipe shows have a smoking area if you can't smoke on the exhibit floor. Shows offer blend samples. Most pipes are at some discount. Most raffle off pipes and accessories. Good deals on pipe cleaners, pipe tools, and racks. Most have goody bags with a blend or two to carry home. Go with questions in mind, so when you find the real carvers and pipe students, you can tap their banks of knowledge. Usually there are some real tobacconists and blenders with knowledge and insider news to share. I'd say allot no less than three hours. If you can spend the whole day, with time out for lunch (arrange to get back in the door) you can probably use the time. Lots of conversation and a few characters in the smoking area. The smaller shows don't have food except for the exhibitors, but it varies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
One of my favorite activities at a pipe show is to sit and smoke with other pipe smokers. Women say that men don't talk. Not true. We just talk about different things. If you are sitting with a stranger, while both of you are smoking, there is a good chance you will be friends by the end of the bowl. If each of you know that you will be sitting together for an hour, it is amazing what topics come up. I have met experts in international law, builders of high end kitchens, truck drivers, pipe makers, college students, ex-gang bangers,etc. It is amazing what you can learn if you take the opportunities.
Winton

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Winton and Mso
You guys are right on the money.
I can be loquacious by nature, but sitting next to a pipe smoker opens up all avenues of conversation.
Really looking forward to Chicago.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I attended my first pipe show, The West Coast Pipe Show, last year and I've already booked my room for November. Pipes of all descriptions both new and estates, up and comers and elder statesmen, tobaccos from a number of blenders, vintage tobacco, all this and the camaraderie of collectors, carvers, blenders, historians sharing their passion for the hobby. Three of the best days that I've spent in recent times.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Sounds like an absolutely great time, can't wait To go to my first, and I'm sure not my last.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've only gone to the West Coast Pipe Show here in Las Vegas.
Usually the two big monsters in online pipe retail, Pipes&Cigars.com and SmokingPipes.com, are at this show. There's also some B&Ms there like Smokers Haven and Ye Olde Pipe Shoppe. There's usually around two dozen or so artisan carvers there. Ashton and Moretti are typically there. Also, there's usually a dozen or more tables of people selling off some of their personal collection.
Brian Levine was there this past year with Sutliff and Mac Baren tobacco. He had a number of blends on the table to sample and discussed the brands with show goers. Russ Oullette is usually there with his Hearth & Home blends discussing them with show goers as well and handing out samples. Russ also usually sells tins as well at the show. This past show he was greatly missed by many as he didn't make the trip.
Continuing with the tobacco there are usually a few tables selling vintage tins. The PipeStud is a regular with some really nice out of production blends to purchase.
Last but not least there's the interaction with other show goers. Some will bring vintage tins of out of production blends and offer up a bowl. Most are just great people that will shoot the breeze about the hobby with anyone if they sit down near them or bump into them browsing the same table.
Overall you can learn quite a bit about the hobby at the shows. I've learned a lot more about the engineering of the pipes from various carvers. I've also learned more about the different leaves and blending styles from the blenders. I've also learned a lot of history about the hobby and different smoking techniques from other show goers.
I highly suggest going to a pipe show at some point. Even if you have to wait a year or two to save up the money to afford the travel expenses and set aside some spending money it's more than worth it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Newark Pipes Show that was billed as the NY Pipe Show was pretty lame to be honest. I had a friend in from Georgia staying with me but both myself and Dan were just a little non plused by the size. Nice exhibits but I manage to go around the thing in the time you would spend at a garage sale. The after party was an entirely different matter and as several people commented above we got to exchange views over a bowl with a diverse cross section of the American social spectrum. I am indeed looking forward to Chicago which I think will be more representative of 'Pipe Shows' and assuming this winter ever ends should be a pleasurable experience!

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
At the Chicago Show, we try to do many things, including 300+ tables of pipes, tobacco and historic exhibits. Everyone's favorite is the 6000 square foot smoking tent where we smoke and talk with pipe smokers from all over the world. At the Show you can buy, sell and trade pipes and tobacco, smoke in the UPCA slow smoking contest for the USA national championship, enjoy our free Friday night banquet for 600+ pipe smokers, judge Virginia/VaPer blends to help chose the best blend in the Chicago Bowl contest, attend pipe seminars, learn how to make a pipe with world renowned pipe makers, and just relax.
Here is our draft schedule for the 2015 Show:
THE CHICAGOLAND INTERNATIONAL PIPE & TOBACCIANA SHOW

2015 SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

WEDNESDAY April 29, 2015

9 am Pipe Making Seminar, Mega Center Annex, Pre-registration required
THURSDAY April 30, 2015

9 am Pipe Making Seminar, Mega Center Annex, Pre-registration required

4 pm International Charatan Collectors Society, Turquoise Room (Tower)

6 pm – 10 pm The Chicago Cigar Show in the Tent
FRIDAY MAY 1, 2015

9 am – 4 pm, Smoke and Swap, Tent (8 am vendor set up)

9 am The Chicago Bowl opens, Tent

9:30 am – 4:30 pm Champagne Limo to Premium Outlet Mall, Hotel Lobby

12 pm – 5 pm Welcome Table, Hotel across from indoor/outdoor pool

2pm-5pm Civil War Pipes presentation by Ben Rapaport, Mega Center

3 pm UPCA Annual Meeting, Ruby Room (Tower)

5 pm Cornelius Crans Netherlands clay pipes Mega Center

7 pm – 10 pm Welcome Buffet Dinner, St. Charles Ballroom

7:30 pm presentations at Welcome Dinner

9 pm Kevin Godbee, PipesMagazine.com, Atrium

9: 15 pm Rob Cooper, Young Pipe Smokers, Mega Center

9 pm Ladies’ Tobacco Related Arts & Craft Program, Turquoise Room (Tower)

9 pm Pipe Repairmen Roundtable, Sapphire Room (Tower)
SATURDAY MAY 2, 2015

7 am Exhibitor Set up, Mega Center

10 am – 5pm Chicago Pipe Show, Mega Center

10 am Chicago Bowl opens, Mega Center

11 am – 3+ pm Silent Auction, Mega Center

12 pm Private Ladies’ Luncheon for Exhibitors, St Charles Ballroom Salons 5 & 6

2 pm PipesMagazine.com Meet Up table, Tent

4 pm The Chicago Bowl closes, Tent and Mega Center

4 pm Smokers Forum Meet Up table, Tent

6:30 pm Cocktails, Pipe & Cigar Banquet at 7 pm, New Orleans Ballroom

9 pm Doctor of Pipes Meeting, Arnold Palmer Suite (Tower)
SUNDAY MAY 3, 2015

6:30 – 9:30 am Pipe Show Breakfast, St Charles Ballroom, Salons I, III, IV

8 am Study of Tobacco in the Bible (Tent)

8 am Exhibitor Set up, Mega Center

9 am – 5pm Chicago Pipe Show, Mega Center

12 pm Show Awards Presentation, Mega Center

1 pm UPCA United States of America National Pipe Smoking Championship, Tent
MONDAY MAY 4, 2015

8 am – 12 pm Post Show, Terrace Café Area
Please keep in mind that all of the above activities are subject to change or cancellation, even at the last minute, due to illness or unforeseen circumstances.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
What Happens at a Pipe Show?
Stays at a pipe show..... Sorry somebody had to.
In my experience (only been to the Columbus show)

Lots of browsing of pipes and tobacco

Lots of haggling (at estate tables - I don't pick much or at all with carvers)

Lots of talking to carvers and vendors

Lots of trading pipes or tobacco

and most importantly Lots of money spent that I somehow have to hide from my wife
Some advice: get some cash out of the bank every so often until the show and then you walk in with cash and no "big" item will show up on your bank statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.