PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

groo

Lurker
Jun 30, 2018
Okay, I admit it, I'm a Lord of the Rings fan and have been for 40+ years now. Adding that to my recently having taken up the pipe I have, of course, been checking out Middle-earth tobaccos. I've found several I plan to try but one I found mentioned but doesn't seem to be available anymore is Halfling's Leaf. The reviews I've read were very positive and I'm intrigued (probably because it isn'r obtainable). Does anyone know of a close match for it or perhaps a recipe?
Thanks,

Tim CC

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The FDA put the blender out of business.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-new-fda-rules-have-put-me-out-of-business
Cult Blood Red Moon may be to your liking though.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
+1 to pappy, I have a couple of their blends, and I think they're pretty good. They have a nice Middle Earth line of tobaccos. I still have a nice supply of Second Breakfast, which smells fantastic.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I know Vauen has some Lord of the Rings themed tobacco and pipes. Haven't tried the tobacco so can't speak to it except to mention that it is called "Auenland" with hobbit and shire subcategories. Perhaps one of them is similar? Vauen also produces churchwardens that are what the characters smoke in the movies. The only Vauen pipe I have is a pot so can't speak to the smokability of those churchwardens.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You can't smoke a name. Find something else that you like, but put it in a jar and write "Halfling's Leaf" on it, in crayon.

groo

Lurker
Jun 30, 2018
Chasing Embers: Thanks, a shame that happened. I'm adding Blood Red Moom to my "give it a try" list.
pappymac: I've got them on my "plan to order soon list".
seldom: I'll check them out
woodsroad: Not planning on smoking the name, just sounded good from what I've read. If the reviews all said it tasted lawn lawn chipping I wouldn't be interested. :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The FDA put the blender out of business. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-new-fda-rules-have-put-me-out-of-business
No; this guy threw up his hands two years ago and used the FDA as his "reason".

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
No; this guy threw up his hands two years ago and used the FDA as his "reason".
Well that was certainly rude and uncalled for. His business was out of pocket, and like many B&Ms, companies, and carvers, he closed his doors to prevent taxation and financial loss.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well that was certainly rude and uncalled for.
No, John is correct. He gave up. He still had years to go before any real changes may have effected his business. Look at the pipe makers who threw in towel. The FDA isn't even regulating pipes (yet).

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Considering public opinion of tobacco usage, I probably would have too. Often small businesses don't fair well in legal battles.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yes, but you can't hide under a rock every time someone says Boo! Who knows how this will end up? Nobody. Better make hay while the sun is shining.

Status
Not open for further replies.