Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
All,

As you can see from my last post, I am a big fan of aromatics, so I was rather upset to find out Drew Estate was no longer making their pipe tobacco blends. Many smokers never even knew about such blends let alone their discontinuation. Any body know why they stopped? Was it the FDA's stalled law to regulate pipe tobacco?

Reactions: Servant King
I'm not sure if it was an FDA thing or not. I know that they've added some new cigars to their line-up, and that their pipe tobacco was being practically given away by all of the retailers for a few years now. The Briary uses what tins they have left to even out the wonky legged furniture. P&C had the tins for like $5 or something ridiculously low like that. I never found one that I liked, but I didn't think they were awful. Maybe, they just found cigars to be a bigger money maker for them.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
That's a shame. I actually found two blends that I liked - Grand Central and Meat Pie. I still have a tin of each in the cellar so I guess they will sit there for a while.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I think it had something to do with the sale of Drew Estate to Swisher Cigars a couple of years ago and they decided not to continue with the pipe tobacco line. I'm sure Russ O. would know the exact reason

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Drew Estate started with their pipe tobaccos, but then jumped in with both feet and became the distributor for Tsuge and introduced the Tsuge tobaccos. They also had Tsuge design a line of pipes for them. Then they hired Grant Batson to be their "pipe guy", and I think he did quite well. I'm not quite sure whether the decision came because the pipe business didn't fit well into their business model or if it was something else, but they made the decision to get out of pipes and tobacco. We bought most of their inventory for Tsuge because Drew Estate is an important business partner for us on the cigar side.
Russ

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I liked Gatsby Luxury Flake as well, and bought a few tins when it was on deep discount (plus 20% off and free shipping) at CI. I'm certain that if you look around, you will find a comparable STG flake.

Reactions: Servant King

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
I am a delicate flower and as such, I love aromatics. Their Toasted Black Cavendish..... incredible. I have four tins of Harvest on the Hudson, but they shall not last long.
If I read blendtobac right, Drew produces Tsuge pipe tobacco? Any feedback on that line, aromatically speaking that is.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cigars are a heavier revenue stream, so when a choice is made, cigars win. I think cigars have a conspicuous consumption aspect, people like to be seen waving them around and seeming to live the high life, whereas pipes are a more meditative less dramatic smoke, in general. It's a stereotype, true, but at chains, cigars come first because they pay first.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I just ordered Gatsby from P&C, $5.99/tin. I noticed that the blends had been out of stock for a while, as I had ordered several about 6 months ago, and liked them. They have a promo going on for 48 hrs. So stock up now! Promo code "STEWIE" 20% off sitewide.

Status
Not open for further replies.