Pipes Magazine » Pipes Accessories

Tags:   

What Filters Work Best With Peterson Pipes?

(14 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by lordofthepiperings
  • Latest reply from antipodesman
  1. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was thumbing, or rather scrolling, through the Peterson catalogue and saw that a few of the pipes I have from Peterson are able to use 9mm filters. I was curious as to what kind works best with them? I know some guys don't like filters at all, but I'm thinking filters might help to curb my ginigivitis irritation when I smoke. So once again any advice on what filters work best with Peterson Aran series, I have a B5 and an 05, would be greatly appreciated.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It may sound silly but............... Peterson filters.

If at first you don't succeed you are running about average.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't seem to find those anywhere. Haven't spotted them on any online sites or at any local B&M's.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only find them listed on UK sites. Generic 9mm filters should work though. The Peterson filters are activated charcoal if I remember correctly.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. jimmyg

jimmyg

Login to Send PM

hey up lordofthepiperrings if you go on ebay and put in petersons filter it will bring them up,from the uk only tho,but i think you could use most 9mm filters, if your struggling i would be happy to get them from my end for you and forward them on for you

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. nabottle

nabottle

Login to Send PM

Being new to pipe smoking, my question has probably been asked many times before. Do filters reduce the flavor and enjoyment of a smoke. There is no way I would ever want a filter on a fine cigar. So I can imagine that it might decrease the enjoyment of a pipe as well.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. hilojohnny

hilojohnny

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In my experience, a filter inhibits the draw of the pipe....Since I savor an open draw I do not use filters....

Live Aloha!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To wade in on this question.... I would say it's the one that you have thrown away before you put it in your pipe that works best.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. nabottle

nabottle

Login to Send PM

Just as I thought. Thanks hilojohnny and Lawrence. I'll never give it another thought.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hey up lordofthepiperrings if you go on ebay and put in petersons filter it will bring them up,from the uk only tho,but i think you could use most 9mm filters, if your struggling i would be happy to get them from my end for you and forward them on for you

Yeah, any 9mm filter will fit the Pete filter pipes according to the literature I was able to find, doesn't have to be the real McCoy...I might be inclined to try Savinelli's 9mm Balsa filters (or better yet, find a 9mm balsa dowel, and go to town with a saw); from what I hear, they don't detract from the flavour of the smoke as much as the charcoal contraptions do.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My personal feeling is a deep and abiding hatred for any kind of filter.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. menckenite

William

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with the majority. The best filters for Peterson's pipes are the ones not in them.

Pics of my pipes & stuff: http://photobucket.com/menckenite
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

westcoastrich

Login to Send PM

I like and use filters, for me they stop or at the least cut down any tongue bite. I can smoke just about any virginia tobacco enjoying the flavors with my normal draw, and not have to wory about concentrating on small sips or getting bitten. I don't think I am loosing any of the flavors, but with my limited palate ability I will never for sure, don't tell me I don't want to know, I am happy with what I am doing.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. antipodesman

antipodesman

Login to Send PM

Use the 9mm balsa filters. I use them in some pipes and they are fine. Forget the suggestion to make your own. That really would reduce your draw. The commercial ones have a corrugated edge. After each smoke I cut off the black end with scissors and wash and dry the filter. Some would say it is not worth the trouble and I can't disagree with that. Just try it, you might like it or not.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   gerritjan, mikestanley, necron99, riffraff, ruger414, numbersix, woodsroad, kdflyer, kcghost, samcoffeeman, tbradsim1, claypipesarchaeologist, lonestar, twoonefive, jfox520, woopigsooie