PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
Hey guys, I believe I have narrowed my pipe search down to 2 pipes. Either a Peterson System 303, or a Peterson Walnut Spigot 999.
Clearly the spigot is more money, but I wouldn't mind spending the extra money if it is worth it.
So, what is a spigot? What benefits would I get with the spigot pipe over the system? What is the difference between the "tan" spigot and the "walnut" spigot?? Is the walnut spigot a good pipe??
I know I have a lot of questions, but tomorrow I'm placing my order through smokingpipes.com and wanted to make sure I'm making the right choice!
Thanks everyone for ALL the help, means a lot!

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
From the Peterson website:

The Peterson Spigot is characterized by a sterling silver covering on the tapered end of the mouthpiece which compliments the sterling silver band of the pipe. The Spigot style evolved from the practice of soldiers in earlier centuries who repaired broken pipes by sliding a used cartridge case over the shank and reinserting the mouthpiece.
Some spigots are systems but not all. Spigot pipes are usually a higher quality pipe and grade briar. That Walnut spigot 999 on smoking pipes "looks" like it could have a system in it but it may not. Regardless the military style connection is nice - you can clean the pipe out during a smoke if you have to.
Update:
The Peterson Dry System is built into the bowl of each Spigot pipe, which is a chamber system designed to enhance your smoking experience. Everything about this pipe design screams classic and that is what makes it so popular with collectors.
I stand corrected - this says all spigots are dry systems. I like the look of that Walnut spigot. If I had the cash I'd get it. I've got a system darwin, which I love buuuut... my next pipe is going to be a higher quality grade pipe, not that the system standard isn't decent.

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks for the reply! So, from what it seems like, the spigot pipes are just a higher quality pipe? I have the cash to buy it, but just enough. I know it'll be something I'll keep for a very very long time so I don't mind spending the extra cash if the pipe is worth the money. Especially if it has a built in system chamber. My other choice is a system pipe, so it's kind of like killing to birds with one stone.
I've been looking at the 302 and 303 systems. I want a pipe with a decent sized bowl, but not overly large. I can't tell by pictures if the 302 is too big, or just the right size. Same thing with the 303, I can't tell if it's too small or just the right size. There are no smoke shops in my area that carry Petersons, so I'm going off of dimensions and pictures for size references.
Why is the "tan" spigot more than the walnut? What is the difference? (Probably a dumb noobie question)
That walnut spigot looks very nice though...

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Peterson does a number of different finishes and charges differently for them. There isn't a better or worse between the two or that one is "higher" quality. It's all just personal preference between the two. Smooth finish w/ black vulcanite or sand-blasted with faux-cumberland acrylic.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The term "spigot" refers to a variety of cap covering the shank where it connects to the stem. Unlike a military bit, a spigot cap is a squared off shape. Generally spigot caps are made of sterling and cover the outside, end and a portion of the inside airway. The stem also has a sterling cap that slips into the capped shank mortise.

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
How well does the stem stay locked in the shank? All the videos I have seen make it look very easy to take the stem off the pipe. Will it stay very secure during a smoke? or do you have to be careful with it to make it not come apart?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
FWIW, I own several Peterson spigots and none are system pipes. What makes them especially nice is that the stem can be removed during a smoke and any moisture can be blown out of the stem. Plus you can remove the stem right after a smoke and clean the pipe.
I highly recommend them.
As for the stem coming off while smoking, yes, this can happen. If the pipe is well fitted and you push it in firmly, not likely to happen - but it can. Plus they often weigh more than a regular pipe, so if you're a clencher, may not be the best choice.

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
Okay, cool. Is there anyway you could accidentally bend or mess up the silver if you push it in too hard?

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
It sounds like an awesome pipe, and is beautiful I'm practically sold and about to purchase right now. I just don't want the pipe to come apart during a smoke, that's my only worry.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My experience with spigots is that they're pretty secure. The metal against metal fit seems to hold very well. The stem should be inserted so that it is firm, but doesn't need to be tight. You can damage a spigot, or any military type of bit by ramming the stem in too tight.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I got this one for Christmas and couldn't be happier. My next pipe will be a black one. If I knew at the beginning of my pipe smoking about these this is where all my money would have went.

check some of the europian sites they generally have much better prices on Pete's even with the shipping.

link

peterson_green_spigot_xl02.JPG

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Generally, they are pretty secure but there are some around here (err...foggymountain) who have horror stories of the army mounts falling out during the smoke. I think if you are clenching or not makes a major difference but I've found most Petes are heavy enough that you'll tend to hold primarily rather than clench anyway.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have been smoking a pipe for over 40 years and my wife just bought me a Peterson Royal Irish full bent. This is the first spigot that I have ever owned. I have no idea why I waited so long since it is true that it is very easy to remove the stem from the pipe similar to a military bit and spigots are immensely attractive pipes and very practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.