What Does the Term "English Para" on a Pipe Stem Mean?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

6 Fresh Castello Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Have seen several pipes now with the marking "English Para" on the stem. Probably simple but can't find an answer. ??
Hoppes
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ah, good to know. Funny though, all the ones I have with that have a very open slot. Are they molded?

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I was going to guess "English paratrooper", pipes distributed to English paratroopers during WWII

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Jesse nails it. The rubber tree is actually a "Para" tree. I've seen stems stamped with Para as well, I'm guessing that was a term used before the 60's?

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
I actually did a fair amount of research on this some time back. The "para" stamping on a stem simple means that the latex used in the vulcanite formulation was extracted from a Para rubber tree ...
tazOri4.jpg

... and not from an alternate (and historically inferior) source ...
qeIWn89.jpg

The distinction was an important one in the late 19th and early 20th centuries when, as the clipping above states, many rubber products were produced using the inferior sources. You can still find the stamping on some stems made in the 60s, 70s, and maybe even the 80s, but the distinction means less since the tree had been well cultivated outside of Brazil at that point and the supply of para latex was plentiful. I think some pipe manufacturers just thought it sounded cool. So, they kept using it.
"English" para refers to rubber that was produced from latex extracted from trees grown in the rubber plantations of British Malaya. At one time, these plantations were the largest cultivators of the Para rubber tree outside of South America.

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Doesn't mean anything about the slot, it means that the stem was made of vulcanite manufactured in England. I have a push tenon Jobey prince from the 50's or before (my gramp's is smoking it in a picture taken in '56) with that stamped on the stem. Very nice pipe.
I agree that it indicates an effort to make or market a stem of higher quality.
Doc.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
I seem to remember somewhere that Kaywoodie Heritage pipes stems were made from "Para Rubber." I thought it was another term for vulcanite/ebonite. Nice to learn something new.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The high grade para rubber stems had a bit more "give" in them than the lower grade Vulcanite. That's part of what made Barling bits so comfortable. They used a much higher grade Vulcanite than Charatan or Sasieni.

Status
Not open for further replies.