PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablohoney

Lurker
Jun 18, 2015
As I've been sampling different aromatic and English blends, I keep finding myself coming back to Squadron Leader.
I've heard that Dunhill's My Mixture 965 is very similar with the addition of Cavendish to give it some smoothness. Comparing the two, I get it. And from, what I understand, swapping the Cavendish for Perique gets you Nightcap. As a former cigarette smoker, I was quickly able to identify the Perique from having tried American Spirit Perique blends.
So... that all said... Squadron Leader seems to have a distinct, almost "pine" kind of flavor that I can't figure out. Is that Latikia coming forward? If not, how would you describe the flavor?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Woodsy, leathery, beef jerky ish, sometimes salty, sometime musky.
I can send you some pure latakia if you want to try it . . thatll let you know pretty quick.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Not all Latakia is smoked with the same thing. I wonder what Cedar Latakia would taste like? I wonder if Cedar Latakia would be poisonous? It is supposed to repel insects.

pablohoney

Lurker
Jun 18, 2015
I can send you some pure latakia if you want to try it . . thatll let you know pretty quick.
Sure! I've got tons of Drew Estate (all of them), some Grousemoor, Molto Dolce, 965, Apertif, Moontrance, or Cherry Bomb that I'd be happy to send in return.
From what I'm reading already though, I'm kind of confused. I thought woodsy / leather / campfire were all characteristics that defined any English blend (in modern terms)?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I speak mainly of the cyprian variety, syrian lat tastes more fragrant, sweet, sometimes a bit incense-y.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
The thing that makes an english blend an english blend is because it usually contains generous amounts of latakia.
PM me your address. i need nothing in return.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
pablohoney:
Welcome to the Forums!
I once described, in part, the taste of Latakia as follows, "...wet leathery, smokey, late fall-woods musty sweet, and cow-barn-like ripe. It's one that, if it could be transubstantiated, I would happily chew on for hours in the same manner that my dog worries her favorite marrow bone." I hope that you find this to be helpful to you.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
clickklick: not so fast my pipe making friend.....;)

English blends were originally called English blends because they were made in Great Britain and also because of the old, now repealed, Tobacco Purity Laws that had to be adhered to in Great Britain at the time. Because of the purity laws, all additives to tobacco blends were very restricted and very limited. You could not add much, if any, flavorings to the tobacco; and additives such as preservatives, humectants, etc. were not allowed. Therefore all of the English blends back then were considered pure tobacco blends. All blends that were produced in Britain at that time had to fit within the parameters of the purity laws and were all considered English blends.

http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-news/english-blends-and-latakia-blends-one-in-the-same/

mike

pablohoney

Lurker
Jun 18, 2015
I really appreciate the insights so far.
To make sure I'm on the right track, I've just finished up a bowl of The Aperitif, and while it seems to have more of the flavor I'm going for (relative to 965 and Nightcap) it still doesn't have that earthy-pine kick that I was getting from Squadron Leader.
Since these are all pretty common brands, I'm guessing a lot of you have experience with them and can help me compare. Is that Squadron Leader flavor I'm going for the Latikia, or is it something else entirely?
I know it may be obvious to say "If you like Squadron Leader so much, stick with it" -- but I'd like to see if I can get more of that flavor from time to time.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Pablo, I have some vintage whole leaf Latakia that I'd be happy to send you. Cut it up, add it to a blend that you already know, and see how it changes the blend. Or just smoke it straight. It's the Lapsong Souchong of tobacco. PM your addy.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Newbroom... In general terms when you ask most pipe smokers what an English blend is... They will not provide that history. Thank you for sharing the original meaning.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Fine. No one else has answered the original question, so I will. It tastes like heaven, because it is fire-cured with ambrosia and lightly topped with angel tears. There. I said it.

Status
Not open for further replies.