PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Hello gents,
I have been ravenously going through a lot of the posts on this page about restoration projects and I think I am ready to start trying it for myself. I have a big shed that isn't getting much use that I would like to convert into a small shop for restorations. I'd like to get some suggestions for what I should get for it. Right now, I have a good bench, two metal factory shelves, a bench clamp and several other clamps, micro mesh pads, a cheap drill, a couple buffing wheel inserts for the drill, carnauba wax, beeswax, white diamond, alcohol, course salt, and oxy clean and containers. I haven't hunted down some good beater lots on eBay yet. I plan on getting some beat up grabows and the like to start practicing. Anything else a beginner should have?
Cheers,

Randy
EDIT: Or any advice too!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I think you have the basics down and just need the pipes! I think once you start working you might see areas to improve your tools or materials, but that is probably just a matter of efficiency. Some of the more experienced restorers here might have some advice for you though. I think just having the dedicated space to do this is half the battle!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
smeigs has a good thought. One caveat, no beer until the machinery is shut down for the day! As a wood worker I have seen too many examples of what happens when moving parts and beer are in too close proximity. That said, a cold one goes great as you get the area cleaned and ready for tomorrow's shift.
After a couple of beers you don't even mind having to open the shop-vac, cut open the bag and fish out that drill bit you just vacuumed up.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
@ warren.. good call on waiting till you are done to open up a beer! You dont want to be looking for your fingers in that shop vac.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
drwatson: I so remember the days of riding my bicycle into the old service station, ostensibly to pump up a tire. The reality being I had discovered the calendars in the shop. Suddenly girls became an object not to be distained, but ogled and wondered at.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
As a kid I remember my grandpa having this old calendar up, every time you would lift up the clear plastic sheet over the girl it would removed her bathing suit and show her b-day suit. So now there is always a pinup calendar in my work shop/garage.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Old cotton t-shirts are great for hand buffing. If you get into restaining, get the Fiebings Leather Dye. Great stuff! (Don't get the "Oil Dye")
Honestly, you have the makings of a great set up. When I started out, I just added items as I needed them. Each project will dictate that. Have fun!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
1/3 horse motors from Craigs list are cheap. Get a 1/2 x 20 arbor and you can run chucks, buffs, or anything else you need...

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned, but I require a radio or ipod dock to listen to some tunes while I work. I also have a little crappy TV so I can watch Jeopardy in the afternoons.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Magic Erasers, disposable gloves, and hundreds upon hundreds of pipe cleaners and q-tips.
Invest in some shank brushes too.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Wire and nylon brushes always find their way into every shop. That and a magnifying glass will come in very handy!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
a lot of throw away gloves, a box of 100 is only a few bucks (HF). Halcyon II if you want to buff deep rustication or blasts easier. Lots of rags, cut up shirts and sheets work, or you can buy the box cheap. Headphones or some type of ear protection if you're grinding. If you start sanding and grinding a dust mask and collection, a shop vac or pilfered vacuum is fine, it gets everywhere fast. 91% Isopropyl alcohol and Rice to sit the bowls in. Leather dye is mostly used, never oil. You can get the base dry (red, blue and yellow) aniline powder and mix with the alcohol instead of water making every color and MUCH cheaper than buying Fiebing's. Many threads have listed books on identifying pipes, you may want to start reading one of those. These guys don't grab a $400 Dunhill in a $30 lot out of luck. ID some of the restorers on the site and go back and look at their threads, tons of tips there. Tim West at http://www.jhlowe.com/ has many parts, and will spend an hour on the phone helping you out.
Zach, people in my area are cheap and I can never find used motors :crying:
Craig

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I would echo a stool, Lots and lots of sand paper, countersink, complete set of sharp drill bits, super glue clear and blank, stems, stems and more stems. Shank brush after shank brush, a sealable garbage can. High quality needle files are essential for fixing up stems.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I use my needle file set a good bit. Here's my workshop setup:
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/08/19/my-buffing-motor-setup/

Status
Not open for further replies.