PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
SaATD.jpg

At the chance of sounding dumb, I have to ask. What are these? I've seen them ever since I began buying on eBay, but I have no idea what you would use them for.

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
mrrogers i think they're to place on top of the tobacco before you light up to save losing the tobacco from the pipe once you have lit up and when you tamp down they keep an even surfacefor relighting if needed. That's the only thing i can think of.

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
You can put them in the bottom to keep tobacco from going up the stem, but like pipetrucker said they are to go in a left hand weed pipe in general.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Some will use them in Pipes where the base of the chamber is wearing thin from use... Another method for this same problem involves the use of 'load stones', which are small chunks of clay, to place in the bottom of the chamber before loading the Pipe. They look a lot like cat litter & can also be found as Meerschaum granules, used for the same purpose. Still another technique involves the use of 'Pipe mud' to build up the bottom of the chamber. It is made from water & Cigar ash.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I use filters in my filter pipes. I went into a local corner liquor store to ask if they had pipe filters and the guy tried to sell me pipe screens. When I explained to him this wasn't what I needed, he looked very confused.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
water faucet screens. window screen small hole rapair.

wait till the cops find out, wont they be surprized.

may have to process all the homes and hardware stores in america.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Actually, you've got some fine ideas for these things grouchy. I do have a small hole in one of my screens!

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
yep, and thats why the water doesnt come splashing out. just unscrew faucet head, rince or replace screen. window and faucet dont care whether screens come form the hardware store or head shop.

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
"window and faucet dont care whether screens come form the hardware store or head shop."
Thats awesome! HaHaaHaa

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
can buy most anything you want in florida and most likely anywhere else in the usa.

in the case of florida they are all labeled for tobacco use only, yea right uh huh.

thats what i use all of mine for. so who needs a briar?

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
you're right ranger, among other uses.

in a briar everytime you dumped your pipe would have to put in new screen and they will tar up, or dottle quickly due to compounding air flow restriction. i dont do it or wouldnt even try.

Status
Not open for further replies.