What Do You Think of New SP Pipe Layout?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Smokingpipes.com has new layout on their pipe retail pages. They used to have the pipes arranged vertically

and you'd scroll down to view the selection. Now they have them in a grid of squares so you are looking at more

pipes at once. The pipe pictures seem a little smaller, and perhaps a little dimmer, but you do get to view more

at once. I found the change a little unsettling, but I still haven't made up my mind. What do you think of the

new graphic layout for pipes at SP?

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
It sucks but then I hate change. At least they haven't changed the individual pipe pages.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Hmm... don't like it. I'd much rather see the list of name brand pipe, click on it, and go from there as it used to be. Then again, I don't like changes and when all is said and done it doesn't really mean squat. :wink:

gunslinger

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2014
I haven't looked at the pipes section a lot yet but my first impressions of the tobacco section looks pretty good. I like how after you click on a brand you can see more selections within that brand on one page with the new grid layout. I also like how after you are viewing a brand you can narrow your selections by tin size or cut or even collections. For instance, when you click on Tinned Tobacco, then GL Pease, you get selections at the top for 2oz, 8oz, 16oz, Flake, Plug, Original Mixtures, New World Collection, Old London Series, etc. Kinda nice how that works now. I generally don't like change either (especially if it is just for the sake of change) but I can see what they are trying to do and it's not bad.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Like any other change, I'll learn to live with it. I don't buy many pipes online but at least I can peruse the entire array in one shot.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I don't like it.
I do a lot of surfing on my BlackBerry, so with the old layout I could just zoom in a bit on the list and scroll down.
Now I have to scroll right and left and down, which is a big pain.
On a 32" monitor I'm sure the new layout's fine.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
it is what it is.. look's like they are trying to make it easier for folks with touch screen devices.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I really don't like it. I like order, hierarchy and linearity. The way that "apps" just randomly fill up the screen on a tablet or mobile drives me nuts -- it just looks like a mess. The grid layout has the same feel to it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, I think dochudson may have gone to the point on this. Being a Luddite (one who is always

behind the technology of his times -- my avatar is sideway for that reason) I hadn't even thought

of the touch screen suitability of this new smokingpipes.com format, but I bet that was the techy

intent. Since I rarely use touch screen, it wouldn't have occurred to me. The grid of pipes must

be incredibly small on even a fairly large smart phone screen. I don't see how people select what

they want to look at. Oh well, it must work some way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
peck, good point on the ability to scan more pipes. It was always a little arduous to scroll down

the columns. I hope maybe they can enlarge the pipe images at least a little and sharpen and

brighten them a bit too. The concept is good; the execution a work in progress.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I like it better, as well.
since I have a smart phone that is much smarter than its owner, it does seem quicker to me on a laptop.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I like the new layout, and in general I don't like change. Makes it easier to compare for me.

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
I use an iPhone and find the site user friendly. Seems fine to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think smokingpipes.com has actually brightened up the image since yesterday. Is that possible?

I don't think the images are any larger, but they are certainly brighter and easier to see. What do you

think? (Yeah, I know, the pictures are brighter but I'm not, yada yada.)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I saw in on the laptop yesterday, which worked fine but I thought it was going to be difficult via the android. I just checked this morning and the layout works well. Plus, they fixed the pictures on the pipe page and I can now view them on my Android as well (previously they zoomed too much). This looks like a positive update on my end.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I just saw it myself. I am fine with it. The overall look and feel is nice, very attractive, but I am surprised they would do a re-design and not make it mobile friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.