What Do You Spice Your Carter Hall With?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Carter Hall won the throwdown between Prince Albert and Carter Hall.
What do you like to add to your Carter Hall to make your own personal blend?
I like a pinch or two of perique added to Carter Hall. Adds a fruity note that has a nice nic-kick.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I have mixed Carter Hall with Five Brothers in the past to get more of a punch. Carter Hall has a nice flavoring that the Five Brothers absorbs very well.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Lately I have been adding more straight burleys to it. Sutliff mild burley mixed in is my favorite. I have my pouch filled with 1/3 carter hall, 1/3 mild burley, and 1/3 toasted burley. The Carter Hall takes the edge off the toasted burley, and brings out the buttery taste I like. Carter Hall has been 99 percent of my smoking since 2012

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I used to put all kinds of things in it but now I use it as a work blend or in-between smoke to retune my taste buds. So as is pretty much.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I will by trying the perique soon. Have to order some. Any suggestions who to order from? What to look for?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Smokingpipes.com Sells Cornell &Diehl Granulated Perique. It's what I use. Some suggest to allow the flavors to meld by aging it for a few months after mixing. I like that fresh perique punch. To each his own.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Thanks! I like the perique tingle.
Askwith Cake is 20% perique. That stuff is addictive!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have mixed Carter Hall with Five Brothers in the past to get more of a punch.
Lately I have been adding more straight burleys to it.
C&D's Cube Cut Burley, Dark Burley or P&C's Dark Fired Kentucky Burley are great, especially with a small pinch of Cavendish or Perique for some sweetness and kick.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Adding a little Captain Black white gives a nice vanilla flavor and room note, and takes away the chemically, goopy nastiness you get with straight CB. Mixing CH/OGS/Lat either 60/30/10 or 70/20/10 has been my favorite "home brew" for quite a while now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't had CH for a while, and when I went to buy a pouch nearby at smokerfriendly, they had neither tub nor pouch, so I bought their last pouch of PA. However, I thought I'd throw a few ideas in the kettle. Tambolaka might make an interesting base note; I'd just go with a sturdy pinch in a bowl's worth. Black Cavendish would give CH a little more volume to the smoke and might actually bring up its constituent tobaccos too. McClellands Red Cake Virginia 5100 might sweeten it and give it a bit more depth, and I'd go about equal parts with that. Again with the base note, I think Mac B's Old Dark Fired, rubbed out to appropriate size, might do interesting things in a wide chamber, a pot, author, or diplomat, for example. Mixes can really turn up good taste and fragrance. Some of my best smokes have been homemade "blends."

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Yeah, what's up with availability? Lately it feels like I have to "special order" PA or CH more often than not at the B&M...

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I was doing what Perdurabo does, a bit of Perique mixed in. Haven't smoked CH in awhile, and gave up on trying to mix it with anything. Found it to be more of a chore as I could never seem to get the flavor to balance just right.

Status
Not open for further replies.