PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
I recently bought a Savinelli Accademia 611KS and I'm trying to match a tobacco blend to it. Does anyone smoke a Virginia Flake in a Dublin, if so, how do you pack it?
I wanted the pipe because I thought it was a cool looking shape (although this is the last place one needs to give a reason why a pipe was bought).
Sometimes I play a game when I'm on pipe web site and see many pipes displayed. I try to pick out the ugliest pipe, the pipe I could never see myself smoking. After I make my choice, I look at it for a while and think, "It's really not that ugly, you know it's kinda nice, maybe I could smoke it…"
This does not bode well.

I only smoke my flakes in Dublins, my absolute favorite shape. I rub them out, cube cut them, and sometimes fold and stuff them.
To me, the Dublin is less pretentious than the billiard. The Dublin is purely practical, no slight dips in at the rim or fancy delicate curves. A funnel shape on a stick. A country boy's pipe. A man of the world.
The bowl is flared, so the tobacco will cook (or stove) as you smoke it, and the flavors concentrate as the fire brings the tobacco down the triangle. Changing, making a single leaf tobacco take on dimensions of flavors, subtle changes in nuances as the sugars in the leaf caramelizes.
Yep, give me Dublin, or give me death!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I especially enjoy English and non-aromatic burley blends in my Dublins, although I'm sure they'd do fine with Va or Va/Per flake. I seem to get a little more out of Va or Va/Per flake in somewhat smaller bowls of whatever shape, and flake tends to smoke a little longer than loose tobacco so the smaller bowl doesn't shorten the smoke comparatively.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have 3 Dublin shape pipes, two of which I usually smoke Virginias and English blends in. The third one is an old BBB that for some reason I started smoking Esoterica's Blackpool in, and it smokes it so great I never smoke anything else in it. Sounds crazy I know, and maybe it's just in my mind, but I really enjoy this combination so much I can't break the habit! :crazy:

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I have always been impressed at how well tobacco burns in a Dublin and usually end up with only ash at the bottom. The perfect shape for smoking anything, IMHO. But I agree with Cosmic that flakes tend to smoke particularly well in a Dublin.

Jan 8, 2013
I just finished a bowl of McClelland Dark Star in a Bjarne dublin. I just rubbed it out this time. I've also folded and stuffed (still trying to get the hang of that), and cube cut in a dublin for descent smokes.
I wanted the pipe because I thought it was a cool looking shape (although this is the last place one needs to give a reason why a pipe was bought).
I don't think so. I know many out there by a pipe because they figure said shape will smoke a certain tobacco well. Most of my purchases have been because I really liked the way the pipe looked. I worry about what I may or may not smoke in it after the fact. I say enjoy your pipes however you see fit.
The third one is an old BBB that for some reason I started smoking Esoterica's Blackpool in, and it smokes it so great I never smoke anything else in it. Sounds crazy I know, and maybe it's just in my mind, but I really enjoy this combination so much I can't break the habit! :crazy:
Orley, I don't think that's crazy at all. I have a Hilson Dream that smokes Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream as though the two were made for each other. I paired the two up just for giggles one day, you know... "dream" tobacco in a "dream" pipe and it was a match entirely accidentally made in heaven. Next time those two came together it was another perfect smoke. Once again, after that, they came together in a rotation again.... perfect smoke. I figured no point in trying to buck destiny and now that's the only tobacco I'll smoke in that pipe, and the only pipe I'll smoke that tobacco with. That pipe is a dublin as well, by the way.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I do smoke PS LBF in a Dublin shape pipes. Fold it and a little bit rubbed tobacco on top.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
After posting my preference for Blackpool in my BBB Dublin, I reallized that I haven't smoked that combination lately. So I fired up the old pipe with said Blackpool, and things have not changed! This is still a great combination, the BBB smokes like I remember and the Blackpool is still the wonderful slightly licorice/molassas tabacco that I'm really fond of. Don't find a lot of love for Blackpool here, but still I'm a fan. :D

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I have two Dublin's, a Dunhill shell and a French Colossal. In the Dunhill, I smoke sharp Oriental-Balkans, Durbar, White Knight and such. In the Colossal, softer Orientals (The Grand Oriental blends, McClelland 24) and dark Virginia flakes. I'm always amazed how well my Dublin's smoke and wonder why I don't have more.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
While a fair proportion of my new collection [ got one in storage back home and one out here] is straight billiard, I own five Dublins and I have to say they are my favourite kind of pipe. I think most of use,havng chosen wisely and rehomed those briars we haven't bonded with, do tend to remind urselvs of the wisdom of our choices every time we smoke, I have an affinity for the Dublin shape. All of mine are dedicated to Flakes; Va/Per, Va or Ky.

csc_0885_shiftn_crop

img_2965_1

I have many lovely pipes back home and I do miss them; they've been "resting" for five years! I really miss my Bjarne Freehand Unfinished Dublins. More than my Dunhill!

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
These images are not being shown. I've jumped through the hoops setup by the site; opened another tab, logged into a photography site, posted the images in my gallery, pasted the url, went back to my post, clicked image, pasted the url into the site and pressed OK.
Nothing.
I have to say, this is the one aspect of this website which is severely sub-standard. Kevin, please fix this

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If this is the image you wanted to post, it works OK for me.
32E7601C9B804513817C8C0AC97E0900.jpg

I like to fold a flake for the Dublin, but I scuff it up into a clump before I load the bowl.

Michael (Cosmic), nice post on the merits of the shape. :wink:

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Dublins are are wonderful for flake tobacco! I have two Savinelli KS dublins and they are awesome. I'm not too complicated- I simply rub out and stuff with the three layer method- I'm finding I should pack a bit tighter than I think.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Come on Michael, the only pipe shape less pretentious than the Billiard, is the Poker, or a Nording... :wink:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have to say Dublins are ideal for flakes. The taper of the bowl helps to leave a little air pocket in the bottom and prevent any clogging of the draft hole. It's best if you fold and stuff. Rubbing it out obviously could eliminate the air pocket. I've never cube cut a flake, but I have had Peterson. St. Patrick's Day blend which was a rather chunky cube cut and it worked well in the Dublin keeping the air pocket.
To fold and stuff I just fold the flake in half sideways then long ways and then rest it on my middle finger steadying it with the pointer and ring fingers and use my thumb to rough it up a bit. Then just load up the bowl and give it one medium strength tamp. Usually I'll take any scraps that fell off and put it on top as kindling. It makes for a nice even cool long smoke.
You can obviously smoke whatever in a Dublin. Many people though have said that it produces great results with flakes. Most flakes are Virginia, Virginia/Perique, or English so I'm sure those are the more popular blend styles for Dublins.
Personally my Dublins/Zulus are dedicated to Virginia and Virginia/Perique blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My latest pipe purchase is a Savenelli unfinished 920 Dublin. I'm waiting for the right moment to fire it up. It has a pretty big bowl, so I'm thinking English and non-aro burley blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.