PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Just curious as to what people prefer. Which types of Virginias? Do you mind a little Burley? How much Perique? Any additional leaf (Cavendish, Dark Fired) to give it some zing? And, most importantly, how strong should it be?

First and foremost for me, I want flavor, sweet and spicy, sonetimes a pinch of spice, sometimes some peppery. I'm not sure that I prefer any burley in there, unless its a tinge of something to add something to chew on like a dark fired kentucky. But, I'm not sure that I want any white burley or nutty burley. Just a red, gold, or a blend of Virginias.

When I am at the end of the day and want stregnth, I'll grab some Royal Yacht or a rope. But, durring the day, I just want flavor.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
VAPer -- my favorite blends. Satisfying and at the same time an obsessive frustration chasing those leprechauns!

good questions. I like the flavor combo so much that I end up liking a pretty wide spectrum. My ideal VAPer actually doesn't exist (except in my own blends), but would be a combination of McClelland's red & stoved Virginias, Gawith's Indian/african VAs and St. James Perique. - maybe some dark fired KY also, or a C&D burley also. See, it's a, "Maybe this awesome addition, or a little of this..." situation for me

I don't mind burley in a VAPer/VAPer/Bur and in fact like some of C&D's take on the style that include burleys. Dark fired is also a welcome ingredient for me for the strength and body. I often like a cavendish addition as well (I know, sacrilege!)

Personally, I like a good amount of perique that adds it's distinctive jammy notes and spice.

As for strength, I most often want that nicotine kick, so I usually like 'em strong. At the same time though, I fairly regularly smoke McClelland's and other relatively mild blends.

These have been my favorite blends for the past 10 years or so, and I'm still exploring the style. If I had to pick, I'd say flavorful, yet strong like Triple play or St. James woods with a little added perique.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I bet mackeson gets my signature

Yes embers, when I saw your sig I got a bit of a chuckle. Some of the finest literature of the 20th century. Or at least some of the most amusing

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
I look to make sure that it's in a tin with the label "Samuel Gawith St. James flake".
Whatever's in there, that's what I'm looking for.

Yes, I love the tangy sweet McClelland Virginias also.
"Earthy" would be a VaPer quality that I just don't desire. Earthy or too cloyingly sweet, as in a topped or heavily cased Virginia. I'll finish a tin if I find one of those negative qualities, but I sure feel a sense of relief when I get to the last bowl full. Of course popping the next new tin of anything always gets me giddy. :puffy:

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
When it comes to condiment additions to Virginia/Perique mixtures, I've found I gravitate towards dark fired kentucky. I don't mind some burley..and wouldn't be mad if the right oriental was meshed in there.
I LIKE Perique, but I don't LOVE it like some do. For me, less is more with Perique.
Complexity is appreciated and necessary if it will be an all day smoke for me, as I may get bored of the same flavor.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I have two ends types of VA/Per blends that I enjoy. Bayou Morning is one. It has a musty, earthy, and sometimes sweet thing going with a fair amount of plum/pepper from the perique. And then on the opposite side of the spectrum is Luxury Navy Flake, it is bright and citrusy, sweet and the perique is a supporting player. I find that Luxury Bullseye Flake splits the two nicely, and I believe LBF has some burley in it. I don't mind when burly is included, sometimes as is the case with LBF it brings a nice body to the smoke, and some oomph too.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
For the Perique component, I want just enough that I can't taste the pepperiness in my mouth, but get a nice spicy zing in my nose on the retrohale.
For the VA component, I want plenty of the grassy/fresh mown hay quality, but with a tart citrusy zest as well.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've found flakes or coins in general to be more flavorful and cooler-burning than rubbed/cut blends. That narrows it down some. I also look for a blend where the Perique adds a 3rd dimensional complexity and fruit to the VA, but without making it spicy as in hot-peppery. At present the one blend I found does that best for me is Dunhill DNR.

Status
Not open for further replies.