Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

What Do You Like Or Dislike About An Oom Paul?

(54 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by slowwideturns
  • Latest reply from dottiewarden
  1. slowwideturns

slowwideturns

Login to Send PM

I'd just like to hear everyone's thoughts.

j.k. livin'... the j's for just the k's for keep
    Posted 2 months ago #
  2. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

I dislike the way they look.

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^This, and I am not a fan of the smoke rolling up my face from such an exaggerated band. The more bent the pipe, the more smoke I tend to get into my eyes.

Michael
    Posted 2 months ago #
  4. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The more bent the pipe, the more smoke I tend to get into my eyes.
    Yep.

Posted 2 months ago #
  5. jrenko

jrenko

Login to Send PM

I have seen both good and bad ones. But not a shape i think i will ever buy

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an oom paul, but for me the major drawback is the moisture that builds up in the heel. It's not from the tobacco, it's actually my spit. The oom paul I have is petite and clenching is very handy, but since it's that bent part of my saliva just goes down the stem ...

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 2 months ago #
  7. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Login to Send PM

Yeah, agreed. I'm not a big fan of how they look. They just don't do anything for me. I don't mind the smoke that gets in my face, but when it gets in my eyes it really makes them water like a son of a bitch, so I try to stay away from anything burning right up against my face. Plus, I am currently regrowing out the beard and wouldn't want the bowl nestled in my face curtain.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The shape doesn't really do anything for me, so I wouldn't have one in my collection. I do think that there is a fair amount of wood in it, so I suppose if it was a nice piece of briar, this shape would show it off nicely.

Posted 2 months ago #
  9. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the bowl nestled in my face curtain
    If it makes you feel any better, I smoke a couple of pipes which hang directly in the beard. None have caused any problems. YMMV

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I dislike the shape and the history of the name (I will leave it at that). However, for me, it is the easiest pipe to smoke while doing something with my hands.

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy mine for what they are - great pipes for walking the dogs or working in the garage. They are ugly to me, but they sure do work great when you need both hands free. I also smoke an Oom Paul when kayak fishing with a wind cap. I thought about selling mine, but I kept them as workhorses.

Neal
    Posted 2 months ago #
  12. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those are very nice looking for being workhorses. Nice photo.

Posted 2 months ago #
  13. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of them are ugly, I think, but not all. Most of them also sport some huge chambers and weigh a ton. But I've never smoked one. I really like medium-small half-bent billiards, so according to math a large, full-bent should be about 4 times as good.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  14. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those are very nice looking for being workhorses.

The right Ool Paul is actually the work horse. It’s quite old and an estate pipe I picked up. The perla nera I use in the garage but carefully. The egg (middle) is vintage and never smoked.

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This classic video of the Castello factory (link below) is where I first noticed an Oom Paul Pipe. I knew I wanted one after seeing the carver smoking his big pipe while working. But after owning two of them now for a few years I realize that I prefer the Bent Egg to the Oom Paul and would recommend that shape instead.

Go to 5:40 in the video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Msnagew91p8

Btw, if you have never seen this video, be prepared for some wild Phil Collins music.

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Login to Send PM

Btw, if you have never seen this video, be prepared for some wild Phil Collins music.

Oh yes....I have seen this one before and I remember remarking at the time that I was a little shocked when I realized just what music was playing in my ears...It's like saxaphoned up 80's music.

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have one. While not a favorite shape for me, do like the shape depending upon the pipe as I'm fond of deeply bent pipes. Agree on the wetness of it, though, as it builds up more moisture in the heel than any pipe I own. But, it's a screw-in tenon and I simply unscrew it time to time during the smoking session to take a pipe cleaner to it and it becomes manageable.

Posted 2 months ago #
  18. bradical

bradical

Login to Send PM

I imagine Muttnchop Piper playing that clarinet.

Don't go chasing waterfalls.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On the negative side, the association with the Apartheid leader of South Africa is unfortunate, though if you speak of it instead as a Hungarian, only somewhat learned pipers will know what you mean, and that that's it's second name. On the positive side: First, my wife bought me my Hungarian pipe, so that makes it special and appealing, as a Christmas gift. Secondly, the extreme bend and hang of the pipe gives a big bowl on a pipe that feels almost weightless. The good big bowl is quite deep and excellent for various blends, the dry Tabac-Manil Semois or Five Brothers, but other cuts and blends of various kinds. I never would have bought the pipe for myself, but having it, I appreciate it a lot. Mine is a Savinelli Hercules.

Posted 2 months ago #
  20. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like 'em, always have, but it's got to be a particular kind. Capped ones, no. Bulbous ones, also definitely no. A good clencher for old guys like me, not bad if you know how to manage the rising smoke. What I like is a good sort of angular one, lucite bit [comfort, wide-ish support, dentures. :)], craggy if possible Old Caminetto/Ascorti New Dear wax-drip type) finished ones usually look good to me. In fact my most treasured pipe is exactly that.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  21. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

extreme bend and hang of the pipe gives a big bowl on a pipe that feels almost weightless. The good big bowl is quite deep and excellent for various blends

Nailed, Tom. That is literally EXACTLY why I love my old New Dear so much. HUGE bowl & nearly non-existent in felt weight.

Posted 2 months ago #
  22. judcasper

judcasper

Login to Send PM

I had to do an image search, but ditto to the above.

I can't offer anything more constructive than that, as I don't know anything about the pipe.

Posted 2 months ago #
  23. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had a couple in the past, but could never get comfortable smoking them. But I recently bought a spiffy Brebbia, E. Buzzi, Pura Two Star from Marty Pulvers. I think it is kind of a Oom Paul design, and I guess it's also a fairly high end pipe in this iteration. You can find the same style now, but they aren't the same quality and come with a 9mm filter. The point is, that this has become one of my favorite smokers as it's not a large pipe, but has a generous bowl. But would you consider it an Oom Paul or not. Sort of?

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 2 months ago #
  24. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One could consider the Peterson Sherlock Holmes Watson to be a hybrid between Rhodesian and Hungarian. a pipe shape I find most attractive. I don't have the SH version but rather the Kinale version. This one does not get wet. Their Baskerville is another Rhodesian-Hungarian hybrid which is also attractive.

Posted 2 months ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

I’ll vouch for Irishearls comments. I like the moisture well in the Peterson pipes. I have bothe the Watson (xl-17) & Baskerville (xl-12) shapes. I break/cut the cotton tip from a cotton swab & drop it into the moisture trap. It does a great job in keeping the well fresh & the smoke dry.

Another tip, i’ll Flare the stem mortice, keeps moisture droplets from forming. I like the shape as it’t’s comfortable to clench, especially larger bowl sizes.

Posted 2 months ago #
  26. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

Not crazy about the shape, although I do like npod's egg shape in the middle.

Posted 2 months ago #
  27. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is the shape I now prefer. A big bent egg. For example, this guy can pack a two hour bowl with ease, it passes a pipe cleaner, and it feels like a feather on my teeth despite its weight. It is a jaw hanger extroidinaire.

Posted 2 months ago #
  28. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

^ Nice.

Posted 2 months ago #
  29. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Neal, agreed. I love the Peterson Sherlock Holmes Lestrade for the exact reason

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 months ago #
  30. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve never liked pipes with more than a half bend, so the Oom Paul never had a chance with me

Posted 2 months ago #
  31. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don’t have one myself. I like looking at other folks’.

Posted 2 months ago #
  32. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love them. A great smoke, light between the teeth and they are beautiful. There IS one problem though. You cannot get a cleaner through without removing the stem. That makes them gurglers.

Posted 2 months ago #
  33. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you are a clencher, you owe it to yourself to try one. I think they are a great shape. They tend to have a deep chamber which Im not crazy about. I used to be pretty much straight pipes. They are being slowly left for 3/4 to oom paul bents.

Posted 2 months ago #
  34. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

I don't like the look of them, is what I was going to say... until I saw the middle one in the group of 3 that npod posted. Interesting looking pipe!

The classic look of that shape, if there is one, looks awkward to me. And maybe sort of fat, in an unattractive way.

Posted 2 months ago #
  35. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's all about the proportion, fit and finish, and the hunk of briar.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  36. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like my Hungarians, due to the large deep chamber, and good hanging feature. Looks are all right, but not compelling. Mine don't gurgle, and I haven't gotten saliva down any pipe since 1970.

I hate the other name, as Paul Kruger was a racist and a shit.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  37. puffermark

puffermark

Login to Send PM

Personally, I love the shape, even if Dunhill took to calling it a "Hungarian" following the ass-kicking the Brits got at the hands of the Boers.

As so often happens though, the discussion opens avenues for some to show their spectacular lack of insight into South African history. Kruger was a racist, Washington was a slave owner. Tomayto, tomahto.

Posted 2 months ago #
  38. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

More Boerishness, then.

1.) Kruger has never been shown smoking the Hungarian shape.

2.) What fu**head started calling it by his cute little "uncle" handle? And how or why did that catch on in the States?

Posted 2 months ago #
  39. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Paul Kruger also had very deep bowels and was prone to gurgle.

Posted 2 months ago #
  40. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just on the human aspect of it for half a mo', I agree PK was an ass, & I hate the name of one of mny favorites being associated with him, but I just have trouble engineering myself a different moniker for a *thing*, like that jingoistic "freedom fries" or "liberty hound" crap; iss jes' toopid, y'know?

Posted 2 months ago #
  41. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 2 months ago #
  42. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't need more than one Hungarian, but the one I have is a certain kind of perfection, as mentioned many posts above.

Posted 2 months ago #
  43. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For years, it was one of my favorite shapes. But, when I started drawing comic books, I found it other shapes easier to deal with, so I don't smoke mine that often these days, and I don't feel the same about them as I used to. I did always like the fact that I can get a long smoke with one.

Posted 2 months ago #
  44. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This time actually ON topic, believe it or don't: This is a pic of the New Dear KS that I'd mentioned so you don't have to depend completely on my description earlier --

Obviously it's the same basic shape that we know, but even though it's not a sitter it's not rounded & is much craggier than a blast or even a Caminetto Business finish. It's more rectangular than round, & the front is more flat than curved, even though it doesn't show well here.

Posted 2 months ago #
  45. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bill, that pipe looks like it was salvaged from a house fire!

I found it other shapes easier to deal with

I'm curious: what shapes are those?

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 2 months ago #
  46. leafsmoker

leafsmoker

Login to Send PM

Plain and simple. I just do not like the shape. Just like others are stating..

The walls have ears, the windows have eyes, and the wise man tells no lies.
    You can offer someone a cigar, but you can never offer someone your pipe.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  47. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

salvaged from a house fire! [8O]

Train wreck, I think, but certainly close enough. Yeah, that's my baby. Probably my 3rd-oldest currently,

Posted 2 months ago #
  48. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy mine for what they are - great pipes for walking the dogs or working in the garage.

My exact reasons for enjoying mine. Add a P-lip and it is perfect.

Dislike. Most OP pipes I see are big and heavy. I want light and appropriately sized for hands free usage.

Posted 2 months ago #
  49. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whew, that is one ugly pipe, Bill. I'm glad you love it and gave it a happy home.

Posted 2 months ago #
  50. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

it's not rounded & is much craggier

It's more rectangular than round

the front is more flat than curved

Sounds like a description of my first high school girlfriend

Posted 2 months ago #
  51. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 months ago #
  52. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

npod, yours are stunning.

I don't own any because I don't like anything full bent.

Harris
    Posted 2 months ago #
  53. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As with other bent pipes with sturdy shanks and stems, Hungarians travel well, fit tidily in pocket, and aren't slender or breakable in general. True, some may be a little too large for toting a lot, but the middleweights do just fine.

Posted 2 months ago #
  54. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Szabo Hungarian is actually from Hungary. Smokes a little hot if I push it, but makes a perfect clencher. It's my driving pipe. A little smoke may get in my eyes from time to time, but the pros outweigh the cons. Love it!

Dot
    Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pappymac, mtwaller, npod, donjgiles