PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I am beginning to finish several tins. As a collector and McGiver type, I can think of hundreds of uses for them. I have been working with Special needs preschool and kindergarten kids. I am going to clean the tins up and give them to the teachers I have been working with. They will make great rattles (when glued shut) or presents from kids when they glue some art on it and make it a curio box.
If you do reuse them, tell us what you do with them.
If you don't have a use for your old tins, just wash them out and show them to any teacher of young kids, and they will take them gladly.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I have kept some tine, one good use is if you take a square tin, rectangle one i guess, like the 50g orlik comes in, and solder one of those metal nail files to, it makes a great match case assuming you use strike anywhers. better than carrying the whole box.
Other than that they make good nick nack holders.
I would be hesitant about giving them to a teacher, many parents may have serious qualms about their children using old tobacco tins, my mom is a teacher and ive grown up hearing horror stories about crazy parents

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The painted ones I squirrel away. Those with stick on labels I clean off and am saving to do salt water etching on. First I need to scrounge up a laser printer. shouldn't take me long as I am a master scroungologyst

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
Down in the basement I nail the top to an overhead floor joist. Then I can screw the bottom and it's contents (small parts, fasteners, etc.) up an use it for storage.
The guy who owned my house before me bought large 1lb cans of Capt. Black, Borkum Riff, etc. and when they were empty he filled them with nails. They were there when I bought the house and still are.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Chaplick, I would only give tins that had paper labels removed for use in the classroom. You can buy similar containers new from may container stores, so the clean unmarked version would survive the scrutiny, especially with their kids art is all over it. I am a school administrator. You are right that you need to know your clientele.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
This is what I do. I fill them up with sand ,about same weight as when filled with tobacco,

and display the with the rest when my pipe smoking brother IN law comes over. He can not help to

check them out. Real cans on top.

Also if you post pictures here they are a good filler. Like boasting with out saying something.

Joe2shoes

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
Sell them on Ebay. A lot of non smokers collect them.

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I use them for storing Dice and Extra Bit form my Miniatures so I don't have a bunch of sprews lying around.

tonypuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2011
Painted tins gets saved and i have a couple that i use to collect my cigar ash, mix up pipe mud and save for later.

Status
Not open for further replies.