PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Hey all. Just curious to see what other people are doing with 8oz tins of tobacco. Not with the empty tins, but with the stuff inside. Jar or or leave it sealed?
I've been popping my SPC and GLP tins and loading them up in mason jars. I figure this way I don't have to open the entire 8oz when I want some, leaving most of it to continue aging. I'm not really buying to trade, but to stash away for when the dark times come.
What do you all do? For those who keep the 8oz tins sealed why? How long do you figure those tins are good for?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I buy 8 oz. tins for the discount, and jar about two ounce increments in mason jars. Haven't decided yet if it's worth the trouble, or if I should just buy the 2 oz tins.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
It depends on the type of 8 oz tin/bag. I cellar all sealed tins, but some people consider the the Samuel Gawith 250 gram boxes to be 8 oz (close), those I jar.
Currently I have many 8 oz tins unopened in my cellar. Why? Space and weight. Example, G.L Pease Gaslight (5lb), G.L. Pease Key Largo (6.5lb), G.L. Pease Maltese Falcon (2.5lb), and various L.J. Peretti tins.
Now Esoterica 8 oz "bags", that a completely different story. Mostly I cellar unopened, but now they are all sealed in Food Saver bags and then put in to Mylar bags.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've opened several eight tins - at least 8 - that were 6-9 years old and never had a problem.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
The few I have I keep as is until I crack them then split into two jars, keep one for aging and one for smoking. Admittedly, I don't have anything over 3 years old, but so far no problems.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
So when you crack them do you break the 8oz up into several jars, put them all in one?

For me that depends. If it’s a regular rotation blend that I will smoke in a months time, then it all goes into one jar. If it’s a rare blend or something that will get smoked only occasionally, then 2 or 3 separate jars.
For example, I opened a rare tin of Pelican in May and separated it into 2 x 2 oz Mason jars (the ones on the right). I still have some left without repeated exposure to air. I love these little 2 oz jars for this exact purpose.

681K0sb.jpg

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Speaking of that, I bought a 1lb box of Old Dark Fired about 5 years ago and put it in a jar. Over the years I have been smoking it, but also other blends, so I have maintained the humidity by placing into the jar, 1 inch sections of wooden chopstick which have been soaked in whisky. Got a fresh order of HH a couple of weeks ago and it is NOTHING like my 5 year old stuff. Much lighter and more delicate flavour and the slices are much thinner. I have yet to decide which I prefer but I believe I have noticeably changed the character of my tobacco

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Though I was a jarring maniac, I left 8 oz tins as is, given my faith in the container. I have most still sealed, but those I opened, especially the always fermenting exuberant Haddos, were fine.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tubs and eight ouncers, I just leave 'em sealed. Time will tell. After opening, if they felt dry, I might jar them in two smaller jars, to leave one sealed. So far for me, things left in tubs and tins have kept well as they were used up. A degree of drying sometimes facilitates smoking, as long as things don't go to powder. I live in a relatively humid area, especially lately (!), North Carolina.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I don’t open them til I need them. They are usually magnetic, which means they are capable of rusting, so I store them in a weather-tight tub. That tub is stored in the man-cave which also has a dehumidifier in the summer. I hope this is enough to prevent rust-through, even in the case of flooding or pipe-bursting.

Status
Not open for further replies.