PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
We all know that smoking a pipe is one of the most relaxing things you can do. I like to sit back with a full bowl of something nice and a good book. I especially love reading on my Kindle e-reader as you can hold it and turn a page with one hand, leaving the other free to hold my pipe.
So, when you light up, what do you like to do whilst enjoying your pipe?

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Great thread.
I will occasionally read. I almost exclusively read Star Wars novels only, but as a rare treat am currently reading threw the Sherlock Holmes stories on my iPhone.
Normally tho, smoking is joined with some combination of TV, computer games, or other video games. I have been occasionally known to spend time on my practice pad (drumming) while smoking also.
If nice weather, or if a friend comes over, its quite conversation, drinks, and the outdoors.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Toss up between reading, websurfing, and conversation. Depends on where I am and who I am with. On a drilling rig, the smoking area is a congregating place, so conversation is the norm. When I am at home, I like to start the day with a pipe, cup o'joe, and my Ipad, checking the news and the forum. Evenings are for smoking and reading. Every other time is pretty much pot luck.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Usually surfing the web (reading stuff) or watching TV/movie. I can do other things while smoking (I used to), but I've chosen not to. I realized that, for me (and this is just my opinion), if I'm doing chores, yard work, or whatever while I'm smoking, the tobacco becomes secondary or even tertiary to the task at hand. Sometimes that's not a bad thing, but I just made the decision that when I'm going to smoke, I want it to be about the tobacco, the pipe, and the experience. A premium blend is just wasted if turned to ash as an afterthought. I know some, maybe even many, will disagree, but as I said, this is just my opinion.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Mow the lawn,split firewood,work in my shop,surf the net,watch tv,read. etc,etc etc.

If I'm awake I usually have a pipe going.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I don't like to do anything that will distract me from enjoyment of my smoke.
Usually I sit and think, listen to the birds and the waves, watch the clouds or the stars --- stuff like that.

I only enjoy conversation once a month when I smoke at the local pipe club, but then the conversation is about pipes.
That's why I only smoke one bowl a day. It's a time consuming hobby my way.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Usually I am reading or online. Sometimes I am with other smokers, and then we just smoke and chat. :puffpipe:

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
I tend to smoke all day so what ever I'm doing at the time is what I do when smoking my pipe.. I am fond of staring blankly into the middle distance when alone with an interesting blend.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
There are some interesting answers there - I do think that there is a lot to be said in just enjoying the smoke and watching the world go by. I smoke outside in a porch with two sides open. So after dark, I tend to sit there watching folks pass by.
Anyone else notice the weird effect smoking a pipe can have on time? My very favourite bowl of the day is the one I have last thing at night. Mrs Withnail heads up to bed to read and I head out for a last pipe. Although it seems like I have been out there for about 10 minutes it is always nearer 30-40 minutes! Pipe smoking is the closest I get to time travelling :)

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Funny you should ask. I once titled a post "this is what I do most while smoking".
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-ohin3-art-show-this-is-what-i-do-most-while-smoking#post-18186

Status
Not open for further replies.