PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
You're diligently working away ( and occasionally checking on Pipesmagazine) when the fire alarm goes off.
What do you do? Why, grab your pipes and vamoose.
Do you take your new laptop? Nope.
Do you take your leather jacket? Nope.
Do you even take your lunch? Nope.
You take what would would really, really tick you off if you lost them; your pipes. Doesn't matter whether they're valuable or not, you take your pipes.
Enough said.

Jan 8, 2013
Do you take your leather jacket? Nope.
Do you even take your lunch? Nope.
My leather jacket goes with me or I burn with it! And a man's gotta eat! 8O Hell I'll be standing outside nice and warm in my leather jacket, munching on a sandwich while I watch the building burn. After I'm done with the sandwich, I'll reach in jacket pocket, pull out a pipe, and light it from a burning ember from the building. "So, uh, boss... we're working tomorrow, right?"

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well I work at home, so I'd probably grab my son and some other things that can't be replaced first.
But I suppose if the fire was winding down (and we are assuming there is a real fire and it is not going off because of low batteries or toast), I would grab my box of pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good question. instinct prevails. Fire in buildings is faster than anyone imagines, sometimes, so it's grab and run.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Lol, good one ashdigger.
Mso, you're right, instinct does prevail. That's why my first thought was grab the pipes and travel light! Thankfully the alarm was a precaution; the fire trucks were in sight as I was exiting the building.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I was at a seminar where we discussed this , the speaker said he has seen people on airplanes open overhead bins searching for their belongings while an emergency evacuation has just been ordered.
I was also a fire 'captain' at a building where i worked , on one particular drill I came across a fellow sitting in his office , ignoring the ear splitting claxon , typing up an email. I looked at him and said leave the building , he said he was almost finished writing .. I said without a pause for him to complete his sentence .. Leave the effing building! ... which he did begrudgingly ..later throwing laser darts at me with his eyes at the muster station.
I hate to be a buzz kill , but the point is , there is no material belonging worth saving , there is nothing in a cell phone or jacket worth your life .. go buy another one if you lose it. At least that's what the training was all about.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Oh, you mean it's not a drill?
Well, I don't bring my pipes to work, so that's one less thing to worry about. I am definitely taking my laptop. A lot of my files are stored in shared locations, but I still have many local files that I wouldn't want to lose, and I'm useless, workwise, without a computer. I'd also be sure to grab my sunglasses. It's important to look cool when making your escape.
*Looks around desk* The rest of this could probably burn.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
No, this wasn't a drill. And Bluto is right in what he said. We have a fire drill at least twice a year and employ a two alarm system. One alarm is sounded to prepare for evacuation. The second alarm (differnt alarm sound) is sounded to evacuate immediately. The evacuate immediately alarm is sounded for areas closest to the fire while other floors hear the prepare to evacuate alarm. It allows for a more orderly exit of the building. Thankfully there was no major issue this time.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Keep some pipes buried under trees and fence posts and in concrete reinforced bunkers
... not that I do , but ... you know

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I keep walking and hope no one saw me pull the lever.... :nana:
Really, though. I work from a Sprinter style van. If there's a fire, I'm out the door like John Goodman in The Big Lebowski!
jay-roger.jpg

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have demolished a few fire alarms in my time. Nothing pisses me off more than a fire alarm going off when I'm frying some beef while drinking wine and singing loudly along to "Blanket on the Ground"!!!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
We put in earplugs and keep on working. The fire alarm goes off so much, we don't even pay attention to it anymore. There was a fire once, upstairs where the food concessions are in the passenger boarding area. Not a peep out of that God damned fire alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.