PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
I've had some crazy TAD recently and I've been fighting the urge to open everything. What do you guys do after TAD? Do you go at it one tin at a time and let the rest cellar, or open them all up and reseal?

Jul 15, 2011
I generally like to have 1 tin of every type of tobacco open at a time, so Ill have 1 tin of Virginia, 1 tin of English, 1 tin of aromatics, and 1 tin of Burley open, plus a wildcard in the mix to switch it up depending on mood. Right now my rotation is as follows: Virginia-GL Pease Jacknife Plug. Burley-MacBaren Symphony. Aromatic-CAO Moontrance. English-Squadron Leader. My wildcard right now is a tin of 7 Seas Royal by MacBaren because I have been heavy into aros lately. This works well for me, but your mileage may vary.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Huge opportunity to exercise willpower!
Depends on what your up to. I went on a cigar blend explore one time and VaPer explore another. Both times I had several different blends of each type going at once in order to compare them.
I agree with what Pipe Novelist says regarding a representation of types determining what you have open. That's the approach I try to take but when that box first arrives at the doorstop it ain't easy!

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Its not an easy thing. Knowing my past record, I keep smaller sized mason jars on hand to reseal any tins I might have sampled. Seems to work well for me in my times of weakness and keep the contents fresh and available.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I open everything that isn't being stored in the cellar for aging. If it seems like I'll be taking a while to get through it, I'll transfer to mason jars. I love the exploration of all the different blends out there, so I'm like a kids with new toys when I get a TAD order in.
-Jason

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
For my last batch - I have gotten into the three pouched drugstore type blends. The others are sitting in the holding box, waiting for openings to come up in the rotation. And then some went to the cellar for long term storage. :puffy:

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I always have some 1-Q and one or more of the Seattle Pipe Club blends open, as well as one or two bends I am trying out.

When I have more than that on hand I am content to store them for a while.

I just got all four Frog Morton blends. I will open them one at a time, so it will take a good long while to get to them all.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm gonna need some more mason jars. The Escudo, University Flake, Squadron Leader, and Frog Morton are calling me.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I think I'm gonna need some more mason jars
I currently have 27 jars on the go...I think I need to get to smoking my "regulars" more...well...regularly.
These days, when I get a new tin, I usually end up smoking it down before I move on, but thats more to meet deadlines for reviews than by design.

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
I have 11 jars on the go currently because I went nuts and wanted to try a whole bunch of different ones. I then realized I wouldn't get through them quick enough so I put them in the Emma jars for a longer storage then the tins. I have told myself I have to get through a few of these jars before opening up my cellar. It's very hard to resist but I'll do it. I guess I'll have to smoke more often, shucks.

terry

Oct 7, 2011
If the blends are new to me, I open them all up and alternate between them.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I open everything and cut them each in half to mason jars,smoke it and when i get low on the first half, order more, and repeat. Only open the jars when i have a craving.....May open some orlik right now, it always ages well

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I like to buy 1Q and a couple-three tins.

I don't "Cellar" the 1Q, and I buy one tin to open and the others were purchased for the cellar.

smokin10smitty

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2011
Indiana
Open it. Smoke it. Jar it. I think it will be good for me to run out of jars so I will be forced to show some patience...or I'll just buy more jars!

Status
Not open for further replies.