PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I enjoy using matches when I can - usually indoors where there is no breeze. Carrying matches needs to have better options...
At our pipe club this week we all sat around with boxes of wooden matches. The only one that I could find came in a box of millions... anyway, trying to light them off of borrowed paper boxes was a pain, and lacked any coolness factor.
We started a discussion on match safes, Vestas (which apparently is the roman god of fire and hearth - not because you carry them in your vest pocket) and other ways to carry and strike matches. What do you use when you are out and about?
Let's see some pics - post 'em if you got 'em!

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
I have to be honest the only time I pack matches is when I go on holiday, this is in case my lighters run out. I use my Zippo's and as a back up my clipper lighter.

Nice idea regarding matches, like the idea of a vesta, but sorry not practical for me.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I use matches exclusively. And I usually carry multiple boxes of the greenlight diamond brand. I would love to have a brass carrying case for these strike anywhere matches.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have matches that I get from those few hotels and restaurant that have them. When at home I like initial light with a match, relight with old boy. On the road, matches take the foreground, unless in the car.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Got a match tin that I keep in my travel case, at home I just use the mega box
51WBQqxXBSL.jpg

this tin is still available at Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Matches-Strike-Almost-Anywhere-Container/dp/B01MXKPYJI/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1497180881&sr=8-21&keywords=matches+box

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
That would work. I also thought of this:

DSC_75331-1024x682.jpg

It would be great for a gathering but kind of big to just carry around.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
But these are really starting to catch my eye

150728341178.jpg

4626a893ee2bf02e9217d9dd39852a5a.jpg

e79cf05a744c26fd7b3bde753c97abe0.jpg

Anyone have something like these?

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I am looking at one on ebay today that looks odd. The silver marks are in a weird order and one is facing a different direction that what I see on a registry. Is it common to counterfeit oddball items like this?
I don't know if I should bid on it or not - any thoughts?

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
A ball and claw writing desk. Right drawer to be exact. 8)

The only places I seem to smoke my briars is 1) Up in the mancave, where I use matches almost exclusively. 2) On my deck, where I use a pipe lighter or bic almost exclusively. 3) The golf course (see "on my deck") or 4) The local B&M, where I use "Their" matches. :)
I can't seem to keep matches lit outside with the breeze or wind ever-present.

May 4, 2015
randelli, while beautiful, those silver match boxes don't seem to fit enough for even two smokes comfortably? Fairly impractical for a day out-and-about, I'd think.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hey, that Amazon case is cool! That looks perfect for stashing in my pipe bag. Currently, I just keep the small wooden boxes that Cigars International gives me and the matches are usually all over my bag.
I may make my own canning jar container/striker, but use one of my smaller jars. I keep matches out on the patio, but put the big cardboard box (Diamond brand) in a tupperware container to keep them from getting damp. The jar will work in my workshop.

Aug 14, 2012
I do not use matches. My wife does, to scratch her ears. Then she throws them back in the box and they will not light.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Now I will be in trouble. I ordered the case from Amazon along with the T-88 epoxy and blackener for repairing stems. Sigh...

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I ordered a silver vesta from 1904 that was engraved with an "R" - it is so cute!
And by cute I mean that it is 2/3 the size of a zippo. Even the small wooden matches would have to be cut down to fit inside; which doesn't matter too much because modern matches don't seem to want to light anyway.
I also failed, mostly, with the mason jar idea as I can't find the exact size that I want. The amazon tin is looking better all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.