PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

casualcanuck

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
I am relatively new to this glorious hobby of pipe smoking and all things related. I am also new to the forum and this is my first post, so hopefully I am doing this all right.

Anyway, I did a quick search on this topic and came up empty handed. I was wondering what all of you tend to carry with ypu on a faily basis, from pipe, to tobacco, to tamper and lightsr, all things related. Being new, I am surr there is a better way to carry and streamline my daily setup, and I am just curious about everyone’s different thoughts. Anyway, sorry for the long winded first post, and thank you in advance for everything!
f169e015-235f-46a9-bb15-2d789728463e-600x525.jpg

Here is my set up:

A Missouri Meerschaum legend, along with a pipe Zippo, a Czech tool, a small bundle of pipe cleaners, and a few airtoght containers of tobacco. The containers are actually intended for acrylic paint to stop it from drying out, but they work perfectly to hold a bowl or two of a blend. Currently I am carrying some McClelland Frog Morton on the Bayou, and some Dunhill EM. This os all kept in a military surplus first aid kit pouch, either attached to my belt or kept in my jacket pocket.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Most of my pipe smoking is at home.
If I'm on a trip or off to the pipe club, I have an old Case Logic CD player bag outfitted as posted HERE.
For short jaunts, I often cram a small bag of tobacco into a plaid Decatur "plasticized" tobacco pouch, along with a Tom Sawyer MM, a pipe nail a disposable lighter and a few pipe cleaners.
For Derek, Kel-Tec P-11
jay-roger.jpg

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I leave home in the morning with a pipe that I smoke on the way to work.

Then I’m out of tobacco until I get home for my next smoke.

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
I find the airline kits you get in first class work very well as travel pouches. Also you may want to reconsider the Zippo. Butane is odorless and tasteless, but the lighter fluid used in Zippos is not.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Pipes and tobacco in the truck. On my person, Colt 357 Mag Trooper. :wink:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I carry a Wilson Combat, Bill Wilson Carry .45 on me and a fully loaded pipe pouch in my go bag which has between 4-6 Pipes and at least three blends. I also have an AR Pistol in my truck.
I do rotate my 1911 with a heavily modded G36.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Tobacco pouch, a tin or three in the truck, pockets and various gear bags along with a couple of pipes, something for flame, fingers for tamping and a pocket knife for reaming or whatever. it varies with the work I'm doing, distance from the house and the location where I'm shooting.
Woods, have you got a kit bag for the grudge? Can you carry multiple grudges?

casualcanuck

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
ekert, Thanks for the tip on the airline pouches. And as for the Zippo, I tend to use a bic (butane) when at home or anywhere I can smoke inside, but 99% of the time I have to piff away outdoors, so I carry the Zippo to deal with the wind. The wind seems to help get rid of the petrol odour for the most part, though I know it’s still not ideal. I have an order in for a butane insert for it so hopefully soon I will have the best of both worlds :)
Thanks so much for the replies so far everyone! Keep ‘em coming!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A group 4-5 pipe in my shirt pocket, a Bic lighter, and an H&R 10 gauge in my car.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Smoking in the car or out and about ruins what little concentration and technique that I have, thus it is less satisfying. Also I limit my smoking by not smoking in the car. But when I do so anyway, I have a Martin Weiss 3-pipe pipe bag. Awesome quality. I carry one pipe, enough tobacco for a bowl, cigar cutter, small rag, pipe tool, cleaners.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
2 pipes, Czech tool, Pipe Zippo, pipe cleaners, 1 tin of tobacco. All except the tin are carried in a small leather bag.
That's it.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I carry a pipe or two, along with a Bic lighter, tamper, pipe cleaners, and a small screw-top tin of tobacco for the day. It all goes in a small leather pouch I found on the cheap on Etsy. For pipe club trips or longer road trips, I usually carry my Peterson 2 pipe bag, which holds 4 pipes plus accessories. The tobacco goes into a separate bag to allow for more pipe storage.
Here's a link to the screw-top jars that I use. They don't retain moisture at all, so storing for more than a day is pointless. If you want something lightweight and spill proof, however, they are effective for an everyday size of ribbon, flake, etc. I got mine on sale.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9GY2MP/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I'm not much of a planner, so 2-3 pipes, some jars, tins or pouches of tobacco, 3-4 different ones, pipecleaners, a flask of stem oil if any of the pipes have vulcanite stems, paper towels, a cotton rag, zippo lighter fluid. All of this goes in a rucksack. Some of it in the gloves compartment in the van. In my pocket: czech tool and zippo. Occasionally I will go empty-handed, just for a change, or if I know I won't get a chance to smoke. And a pocket knife. Always.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. Bond 410 Derringer, Zero Tolerance knife, Being that I'm retired I don't go much out, feed store mostly, don't smoke in truck for wife's sake even though she has not asked me to not too. Sometimes we go to Houston to visit Sons in Truck .Be Prepared is my Motto :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.