PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Without knowing much about the tobacco it taste like a straight Virginia. I can taste the sweetness although subtle. Reminds me of more than a few vapers minus the perique. It packs a little flavor lacking in some navy flakes. Little tangy note on the top. Maybe a hint of citrus. A little pepper on thenretrohale. I like it. What do you think. Is my critique accurate?

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
I've hadthe opportunity to try a few slices thanks to a fellow member (schmitzbitz) and I really liked it as my first non aro.
I agree with the slight citrus, but didn't notice the pepper. I have one slice left, so I'll try it again and I'll look for the pepper. I really like this blend, but the local tobacconist doesn't stock orlik stuff :(
Btw Schmitz, I'll be sending you my thoughts on the samples you sent me! It's been a long time coming, but I finally tried most if not all if them.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
It's a vaper. I get sweet/citrus out of it (not so much the spicyness usually reserved for Perique). I think it's the best tobacco per $ you can get. YMMV.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
OK.... so I looked at the back of the tin, and it confirmed my suspicions. It actually says sweetness ans citrus. I am proud of my pallete. No mention of perique. Only Virginia's. So is there perique mixed in?

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I thought it was a virginia until I read that reveiw a few days ago that said it had Perique. Of course, the P&C description mentions no perique but does mention some burley. I'm just going to start calling it a "PrimarilyVirginia" :) Although, if the tin makes no mention of it then I'm sure it's not in there.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
Curses! Thanks for the clarification, flyfishin :) You'd think they would have fixed the issues since it's been acknowledged.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I LOVE Orlik Golden Sliced!
Let's give credit where credit is due on this information being investigated and reported by me personally right here on this site. After I published the results of my work, it got reported in a Pipes & Tobaccos article, and on TobaccoReviews.com with ZERO credit to PipesMagazine.com.
Yes, this irks me.
Here is the original review where I said I couldn't detect any Burley as the label stated - Orlik Golden Sliced Tobacco Review
Here is the follow-up where the translation error was discovered - Orlik Golden Sliced Update - No Burley, Yes Perique
No offense, I love that you guys participate in the forums, but perhaps you should read the rest of the site too, as it is the damn biggest, best source of information in the world about pipes and pipe tobacco.
Oh, and by the way, we have our own tobacco review site too: LuxuryTobaccoReviews.com
In case you missed it, there is a link to it right under the login box in the top left sidebar.
Sorry, but I work my butt off like a mad man on this stuff and I get pissed when other sites get linked to and referenced for my work.
It was reported here first, and then parroted by everyone else, again with no effen credit where credit is due.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
As I just mentioned in a reply to another topic, I'm only two flakes into my first tin of Orlik and so far I like it, but I have to smoke it much more to fully appreciate it and see if it's going to be a "keeper." I noticed a bit of pepper/spice, which I really like (I'm a hot food addict). Beyond the hint of pepper, my palate isn't discerning enough to pick out other subtleties.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I really like OGS. It's in my rotation I do prefer Rattrays Marlin Flake over OGS, but for the price it can't be beat.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I was surprised when I read the bit about Perique rather than Burley when this factoid was 1st circulated.

I never could taste Burley, now we know why, but I still can detect no Perique either.
Regardless, OGS is certainly tasty but it is way to sweet for me.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
OGS is solid. It's pretty tame for a Perique blend (compared to, say, Solani's 633). Some may find it less than exciting. But I like reliable, good tasting Virginias that are not overly tart, and this is one of them.

mike68

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2011
This one has made it's way to the top of my list...LOVE the Golden Sliced!

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
GS is quiet good. I have two tins in the cellar but I think that Escudo is just a bit more tasty.

If everyone liked the same thing there would only be one distillery. (Sure and it would be in Ireland.)

Status
Not open for further replies.