What Do I Like About Nightcap?

(24 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mikethompson
  • Latest reply from deathmetal
  1. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Full disclosure: I've only smoked 3 blends since I started down this road. My knowledge is very limited!

I like Nightcap. This I knew. But in my last bowl of Nightcap I decided to really try to discern what I like about it. My palette for flavours is very limited, but I did get a 'nuttiness' and 'woodiness' from the smoke. I was pleased that I could pick that out from the initial 'its just smoke' taste.

My next tin was Early Morning pipe. It was the first blend that I let sit in a sealed mason jar. I like it, but it's a little 'lighter' than Nightcap but I can't say why. I still enjoy it, and get the same nutty flavour but not like with Nightcap.

I just watched a few of Russ Oulette's videos on YouTube describing the different types of tobacco. Very informative but I'm still trying to find the source of that nutty flavour.

I went to tobaccoreviews.com and did a little research and ordered several blends that sounded good. Idontwant everything to be like Nightcap but I would like to know the source of that flavour so I can build on it.

That's a little rambling so I apologize! But it turns out the more I learn the more there is to learn.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Strength and balance.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love Dunhill (english) blends, and I too get a "nutty" flavor in all of them. I get "black walnut" specifically in these........... It seems to be (for my tastes anyways) a common theme in all of their English blends, and that's why they are some of my most favored.

I grew up on a farm, and we had Black walnuts everywhere. My mother and grandmother used to shell them out in the fall, and we would use them all winter in cookies, muffins etc........ I really love that flavor...........

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So the nutiness is a signature of a good English blend? I'd like to combine that with some of the sweetness of Virginia (thanks Russ)

Mso - your right about the balance, now that I have improved my technique I find I can get the similar taste through the whole bowl and not scorch my tongue

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also, I think the Dunhill blends I like have especially good base tobacco. The Virginias, Orientals, Lat and Perique they use are especially well selected. There have been a few Dunhill blends I've tried that I didn't like, but the ones I like seem to have notably high quality tobacco, carefully stored, processed, and cut. It is an exceptionally dependable brand.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So is Dunhill still on the death list? I left a message for Sykes at smokingpipes that he should buy it. He hasn't gotten back to me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Death list?

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Yep, Dunhill tobacco is going to have a lot in common with this fellow very shortly.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought I had read that the pipe tobaccos were fine and wouldn't be discontinued?

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since the brand seems to sell well, I keep supposing that after some stalling as negotiations continue, the brand will be sold to someone else, who may or may not maintain the quality. But last I heard, Dunhill as we know it is not going to continue, though no announcement on an end date has been made. Anyone with any more recent and definitive information, please let us know.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since the brand seems to sell well, I keep supposing that after some stalling as negotiations continue, the brand will be sold to someone else, who may or may not maintain the quality.

Dunhill is the leading brand of luxury cigarettes world wide. I doubt BAT would risk the Dunhill brand image by selling the name for the cigars and pipe tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What mso489 said: any links to official or semiofficial or even rumours news?

Funny thing, someone posted a half-star, dispiriting review last Saturday, Nov. 11, on smokingpipes.com, complaining about Lane adding propylene glycol added to both Nightcap and Early Morning Pipe. Is this related to Dunhill's problems?

Drats, I really wanted to buy a tin of both Nightcap and Early Morning Pipe, but now I'm not so sure.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nite cap is my smoke 98% of the time. I have about 10 lbs bulk, about 5 lbs in tins. It reminds me of when I was a very young boy who went with his Grandfather to town and we would stop at the leather repair shop, smells of fresh saddles, harness repairs, all now remind me of Nitecap, hate sweet tobbaco, drink my coffee black, Balance is a very good word for this blend, not fancy but honest flavor, really hope it continues but stupidlty abounds, remember The New Coke.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only certainty with regard to Dunhill blends is that one can buy them for the time being. As such, an ardent fan can either collect stock now or hope that they will continue in some form. Weigh a doubt against a 'certainty' on this and wage your bet. If I were like tbradsim1 or DM and loved a Dunhill blend, and if it were fiscally possible for me, I'd collect some stock now...

The rest is speculation.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, speculation just made me order a tin of Early Morning Pipe; hopefully, there won't be much propylene glycol in it. They were all out of Nightcap.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. eltice

eltice

Login to Send PM

Here’s a link to the ingredients....yep, has PG. Still like it though.

You can look up other tobaccos as well.

Nightcap Ingredients

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, eltice!

Weird, I can't make it work. I was gonna look up EMP...

Addendum: never mind, got it working.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. eltice

eltice

Login to Send PM

EMP

EMP Ingredients

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. eltice

eltice

Login to Send PM

First, select country, use “UK Travel”, then hit the arrows on the right.
    Then, select the type, hit the arrows on the right,
    Then, select the brand, hit the sarrows on the right,
    Finally, select the tobacco you are looking for.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think mso489 really put it best with the observation of strength and balance. It is definitely latakia forward with a decent nic hit and a hint of perique spiciness, but the flavor balance in this blend is real artistry.

"Once you go down the Lakeland path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
    -Apologies to Master Yoda
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's the Perique.

Smoke some Captain Earles Mystic Blend, McClelland Arcade, C&D Buffalo Soldier, and something like GLP BlackPoint.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys, two things I've learned so far;

-stock up on Nightcap
    -try to get some blends perdurabo suggested

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. bonanzadriver

bonanzadriver

Login to Send PM

I too have been stockin up on my favorite Dunhill blends.

A couple dozen tins of EMP, BB1938, London Mixture,Night Cap, and others, not to mention a couple of lbs of MM965.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We are all hoping these iconic blends continue.

In addition to what MSO489 mentioned -- balance of flavors and quality of tobacco -- Dunhill seems to have mastered the art of cutting tobacco into an easily-packed, gently-burning mixture. It seems like a slightly thinner ribbon cut.

I imagine that the problem here is that it will cost tens of millions to acquire the Dunhill licenses, and only be worth millions in sales. However, for an up-and-coming company, to own one of the premier brands in tobacco would be a coup and could open other doors.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   odobenus, craig61a, disinformatique, condorlover1