Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

them4chef

Lurker
Oct 23, 2018
Hey guys so I bought this peterson silver spigot in an auction. Description was excellent condition. After waiting a month it finally arrived today. The pipe is beautiful and I love the size yet it's fairly light and beautifully sand blasted. Only problem is there is a split in the shank under the silver cap. The buyer has offered to return my money but I love this pipe and haven't found another available. I think I can fix it with a small jb weld patch plus some thin CA glue to prevent it from spreading. I got it for 100usd so wasn't overly expensive. I just don't want to pay to send it back lol what would you do

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
cosmetic, i wouldn't worry about. but that's at rather important functional location. maybe someone has better suggestion than i.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I'm guessing the stem/tenon is still snug in the shank? Thinking I would just leave it alone of it's still a solid join.
And damn, that's a beautiful pipe. Hopefully it's a keeper.

them4chef

Lurker
Oct 23, 2018
The pipe is solid, I was just unimpressed to see the crack. It seals fairly well, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be an air tight seal with this style of military mount.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
If it's still solid, I'd keep it and smoke the hell out if it. I doubt the crack would spread. Besides, that's what those bands are there for, to reinforce the shank against splitting, so it looks like it's done its job. I'd just keep an eye on it.

them4chef

Lurker
Oct 23, 2018
Thanks guys, I'm going to keep it. I freaking love everything about the pipe other than the crack lol.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
^^^^^ Yeah, it's not exactly in excellent condition. Maybe renegotiate the price or if your ok with it then no worries.

Jan 8, 2013
I honestly don't think I'd give it much worry. As said above, the band is doing it's job, and many similar cracks on band-less pipes are repaired or reinforced with (you guessed it) a band. You could seal the crack, just to ease your mind, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Lovely pipe, by the way. :clap:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just don't use much pressure when attaching the stem, or you might split the shank as well as the sterling olive. Assuming you don't smoke it heavily, and give the shank time to dry out, you'll probably be okay. Otherwise, the crack could likely grow over time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Especially if you have a number of other pipes so it would only be smoked in rotation, I'd keep it, smoke it, and take the gamble. People blow a hundred bucks on a disappointing meal out or in a card game all the time, and this pipe could be perfectly fine over years. As risks go, this is minimal.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Just curious if someone was to repair that crack, what would be used? My first thought would be superglue (cyanoacrylate) but I believe it's highly toxic, especially when heated.

Status
Not open for further replies.