Tags:  No tags yet. 

What Do I Do with This

(31 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by them4chef
  • Latest reply from Panhandler
  1. them4chef

them4chef

Login to Send PM

Hey guys so I bought this peterson silver spigot in an auction. Description was excellent condition. After waiting a month it finally arrived today. The pipe is beautiful and I love the size yet it's fairly light and beautifully sand blasted. Only problem is there is a split in the shank under the silver cap. The buyer has offered to return my money but I love this pipe and haven't found another available. I think I can fix it with a small jb weld patch plus some thin CA glue to prevent it from spreading. I got it for 100usd so wasn't overly expensive. I just don't want to pay to send it back lol what would you do

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Other wiser folks can weigh in here, but I wouldn't take the risk.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

cosmetic, i wouldn't worry about. but that's at rather important functional location. maybe someone has better suggestion than i.

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like the sterling band will keep it together. I would not glue it.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm guessing the stem/tenon is still snug in the shank? Thinking I would just leave it alone of it's still a solid join.

And damn, that's a beautiful pipe. Hopefully it's a keeper.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 4 months ago #
  6. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I agree the spigot will keep it sound. I would fill the split with glue to help support and prevent more splitting.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 4 months ago #
  7. them4chef

them4chef

Login to Send PM

The pipe is solid, I was just unimpressed to see the crack. It seals fairly well, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be an air tight seal with this style of military mount.

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it's still solid, I'd keep it and smoke the hell out if it. I doubt the crack would spread. Besides, that's what those bands are there for, to reinforce the shank against splitting, so it looks like it's done its job. I'd just keep an eye on it.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree that metal band looks like it is doing its job, nothing to worry about. Now if you start to see daylight through the crack, well, then you have a problem.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. them4chef

them4chef

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys, I'm going to keep it. I freaking love everything about the pipe other than the crack lol.

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

Not sure id be happy with it for 100$

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^^^ Yeah, it's not exactly in excellent condition. Maybe renegotiate the price or if your ok with it then no worries.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I honestly don't think I'd give it much worry. As said above, the band is doing it's job, and many similar cracks on band-less pipes are repaired or reinforced with (you guessed it) a band. You could seal the crack, just to ease your mind, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Lovely pipe, by the way.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 4 months ago #
  14. them4chef

them4chef

Login to Send PM

I cleaned and smoked it tonight. I really love it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Just don't use much pressure when attaching the stem, or you might split the shank as well as the sterling olive. Assuming you don't smoke it heavily, and give the shank time to dry out, you'll probably be okay. Otherwise, the crack could likely grow over time.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 months ago #
  16. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^ just be careful with it and it should be fine

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Especially if you have a number of other pipes so it would only be smoked in rotation, I'd keep it, smoke it, and take the gamble. People blow a hundred bucks on a disappointing meal out or in a card game all the time, and this pipe could be perfectly fine over years. As risks go, this is minimal.

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

leave it, no glue, nice pipe for 100 smackers

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  19. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just curious if someone was to repair that crack, what would be used? My first thought would be superglue (cyanoacrylate) but I believe it's highly toxic, especially when heated.

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would definitely not use ca. I don't know what to use, but I know what not to use.

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've heard of some pipe repairs being made with briar dust but that would require some type of adhesive base to mix with. Just curious what would be safe and durable enough to fill a crack like that.

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Enjoy! I'd also leave it be, and use a touch more care than a "normal" pipe. There may be a slight gap that lets air through the juncture, so it doesn't need to be 100% airtight.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  23. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

I like that pipe! I was just eyeballing some sandblasted Petes the other day.

I'm no expert on pipe grading, but I have a hunch that any pipe with a crack like that, whether it's superficial or otherwise, would knock it down a notch or two below the "excellent" category. I've seen pipes on Ebay that were described as being in great condition but looked like they had been used to drive nails.

Anywho, Titebond II and III wood glues are FDA approved for "indirect food contact" and aren't supposed to give off toxic fumes. I read a suggestion a while back (can't remember where offhand) that mentioned making a pipe repair paste by mixing some sawdust with wood glue. I think this would be easier to work with than JB Weld or other epoxy.

If I was in your shoes that crack would drive me nuts, so I'd be willling to try Titebond III/sawdust since the crack is well above the bowl and it's a mostly cosmetic repair.

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK. Yeah, I was actually thinking earlier TiteBond would probably be safe. Especially in a location like that that won’t see direct flame or high heat. Makes sense. Thanks Gerry.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. tjsgarden

tjsgarden

Login to Send PM

Very nice pipe! Enjoy!

John
    "Two wrongs don't make a right."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  26. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is Titebond gap filling? It's not much of a gap, but most wood glues need clamping to be effective. JB Weld is temperature tolerant, really unneeded here, but epoxy has very good gap filling effectiveness while maintaining high adhesive values. It's extremely easy to use, mix 50/50 to a uniform color and work in the crack. Clean up with a Q-tip dipped in acetone. Vinegar works for clean up, too, just note as effective or fast like acetone.

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Edit: change note to not-- Embers is watching

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

Is Titebond gap filling?

Cranse, no I don't think glue alone would work. That's where the sawdust comes in. I haven't tried it but I figure if you make the paste the right consistency it should stay in place, like wood filler. It doesn't have to handle the stress that would be applied to a joint.

EDIT: I put the topic in the Googler and saw this article first. Woodworking sites have posts about it too:
    https://www.thespruce.com/homemade-wood-filler-1822282

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

Them4Chef - I'd keep the pipe; but only long enough to take another $100, and put it and the pipe into a box, and send it to me. Be sure to include an apology letter about the anomaly; that, along with an SASE. I'll send you back a thank-you note. - Sherm Natman

Posted 4 months ago #
  30. them4chef

them4chef

Login to Send PM

Lol thanks you guys, I've smoked it a few times now and outs actually am incredible smoker. Honestly better than my dunhills lol

I emailed peterson and they said not to worry that the silver ferrule will keep it in check. since I've had the pipe here in the moisture rich environment of coastal british columbia, the crack has actually shrunk/ the briar has taken on some moisture.

The ebay seller also refunded 40usd so I'm content with the deal and the pipe as it is.

Posted 4 months ago #
  31. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The ebay seller also refunded 40usd so I'm content with the deal and the pipe as it is.

Doesn't get much better than that. Glad it's working out.

I did learn a bunch about potential pipe repair methods in the process. Thinking the Titebond and sawdust mixture would be applicable here if I was to run into a similar situation. Thanks.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tfdickson, danimalia, aldecaker, jravenwood, jpmcwjr, hoppes, vangoghpipe