PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Each of the major pipe-making nations has a lot of latitude and creativity in both

handmade pipes and so-called machine made pipes, which are also crafted but

on a more factory line basis. I thought I'd toss out a few "French pipe traits," and

invite others to do the same. I see French pipes in general (and I know there are

many exceptions) as: 1) based on traditional shapes but doing them in a creative way;

2) emphasizing mid-size and smaller pipes, Group 4 and smaller; 3) using more

creative touches like colored and multi-colored stems in more different lines of pipes;

4) keeping the prices more in the mid-level (although there are important exceptions

I'm sure). What characteristics of French pipes haven't I mentioned?
I will follow with a thread on Danish pipes, and then if this is of interest, maybe someone

else can continue with English, Italian, Irish, etc. Since I'm hardly an expert.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Come on folks. The Danish version of this thread got a great response, great observations. We have

to come up with some ideas about French pipes.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
The only french pipe I own is a Morel Fleur; which is basically a large freehand pipe with plateau and seems very different from the chacoms that I have been coveting. they mostly stick to classic shapes and add a little flair depending on the pipe. The Maya for example has a black and yellow striping like a bumble bee.
pm-pccmy-185-s.jpg

I have been trying to find this 185 Chacom for a while... Woe is me... :crying:

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
*tongue-in-cheeck* A french pipe smokes with a thick accent, likes to undress in public and will run away if you try to put some German-manufactured tobacco in it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those Pierre Morel pipes really stop me cold. I would have guessed Danish, not knowing better.

But they have a kind of presence that is unique.
The Chacom 185 is one of their classic shapes, the French take on the billiard done in many different

versions over the years. I like it because, even without the bumblebee stripes, it is more outgoing than

the reigned in English billiard.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
They are waving a little White Flag.
LOL
O/T

In all seriousness (I never knew this until recently), but after the Nazis invaded in 1940, the French had 85K KIA in the space of just over a month. The British had 65K KIA in the same period and then fled back to England. And some of the battle stations on the Maginot line kept fighting over a month after the French government had already surrendered.
They really didn't have a chance once the Luftwaffe achieved air superiority and the Wehrmacht overran and outflanked them nine ways from Sunday, but in reality they put up a hell of a fight so long as they were able.

Aug 14, 2012
This is a Corrieu brand French pipe I bought in Cogolin around 1972.

It has fallen apart after about 45+ years of heavy use. I can't speak about all French pipes, but this specimen is distinguished by the design, which is full of French curves. Compare it to the styling on the great French cars from the 1930s. They use the same curves. It was an excellent pipe, unfinished, as I prefer, and a great smoker. I will observe that the French put style above function: the bowl is thinnest in the center, where it should be thickest, to absorb the heat.

Aug 14, 2012
Peter: I loved smoking that pipe, but can't complain I guess. I sure got my $55 worth. I wonder if anyone knows about the pipeshops in Cogolin, if they are still there. There were 4 pipeshops in a very small town. One would assume because of the local briar. The town is on the Mediterranean.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That Corrieu is a real work of art. I guess it would be a stretch to restore it,

but it would be tempting.

Status
Not open for further replies.