What Did You Get Because Of Someone Else?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
What did you get, pipe or tobaccco on anothers advice?
Who was it?
How did it work out?
I bought 5 Custombilt pipes in a pipe rack off ebay.
Not a specific who, I read a number of forums, mostly puff.com at that time, posted a thread about them.
Worked out well, and 40 some later, still working out well
2nd
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141401674795?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

a WDM Hesson Ripple Briar. I took a chance and hopefully it will work out.
Misterlowercase is to blame because of his infernal thread on early sandblasts that talks about how BBB and WDC most likely had some interaction. I have been wanting a BBB, he talks about how well his smokes.
I will let you know how it works out.
I may be able to do this about 20 more times depeding on my pipes or groups of pipes or tobaccos.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
What Did You Get On Because Of Someone Else?
Well ... there was my roomate's cousin ... :rofl:
Probably too many to list ... many good ideas and trades in my short time here so far.
So, rather than list individuals, I will just use this thread as an opportunity to thank all of you! :clap:

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Hiplainsdrifter ruined me with a sample of CVP, damning me to an eternal chase and I thank him deeply for it. He also turned me onto a handful of others and sparked a deeper interest in Oriental forward English blends. Overall I would say it's been a smashing success for everything but my wallet. :lol: Cosmicfolklore has done the same for me in Virginias and flakes, suggesting a drove of worthy leaf. I still need to try Former Private Flake but every other single suggestion has worked out so I have hopes for it as well. Again, everything gravy but my piggy bank. Jiminks is responsible for my love affair with Hu Tobacco and thus to my one Burley mistress, Makhuwa. Third verse, same as the first two. The rest of you lot are responsible for both the heavenly Gaslight and the vile Irish Flake... so it's a tossup. :wink:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Middleton's Cherry Blend!" Last time I purchased anything pipe related based on someone's suggestion. That was 50 years ago and, while I might find my interest piques by someone's observation, I now do a bit of research and consider who is making the recommendation before putting down any moneys.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Thinking this was going to be an easy post to respond to, I found myself pondering my small collection of pipes and tobaccos only to draw a blank. However I have definitely been influenced significantly by this group and others in my relentless search for valuable pipe and pipe tobacco related information. The first thing I determined from wise words was NOT to begin with cheap aros and to jump straight into the good stuff. The next piece of advice was to purchase decent pipes. Thus the best combined advice I took was to start with good tobacco smoked in good pipes. This sound advice has led to a continuously expanding collection of pipes (Peterson, Chacom, Savinelli) and tobaccos (Peterson, Dunhill, Mac Baren). The next advice I took was to understand how subjective and personal pipe smoking was: how I will discover which tobacco handling techniques work best for me and which tobacco I find tastes better in which pipe. In this forum I’ve been exposed to a wide array of other opinions and tips from very sincere fellow smokers, some veterans, others newbees, and everything in between. I’ve also had the pleasure of seeing pictures and reading about TADs and PADs of numerous members. The total experience in only about 6 months here with you guys has turned simple pipe smoking into a wonderful ongoing process of learning, sharing and experiencing this hobby, and I do mean hobby in the truest sense of the word.

In summary, I’d like to thank this community as a whole rather than compile an extensive list of the so many I respect on this forum.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Well, at an old schoolfriends wedding, she pulled me aside and asked me not to get onto her sister..
Obviously she hasn't heard of reverse psychology..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't want to be gushy, but many blends, smoking techniques, and pipes were inspired from Forums members,

and from similar influences, a N.C. pipe carver, the Danish pipe carver Johansen just by his influence, and by my

local independent B&M owner. On Forums, folks advised me on how to correctly cut plug tobacco. Maybe my

favorite, fishnbanjo put me onto small pipes, which I always thought were toys or souvenirs. They're perfect for

sampling, short smokes, appetizer or dessert bowls, flake, and other uses. (Extra large pipes have their perfect

places, too, so you need both, along with all the medium bowls.) Thanks to everyone.

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
What did I get because of someone else?
Mixture no. 79. I was new, I was naive,.... it now holds a dishonored spot in the very darkest regions of my humble cellar. I'm ashamed I didn't see the sarcasm. lol

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
You don't know good until you have had bad right? I still like 79 better than just plain sutliff great outdoors which only has the fake anise flavor that is isn't balanced out by the fake pefumey flavor that comes with 79.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
A pipe.... I had never considered smoking a pipe as I had never smoked any tobacco products in my life. A friend of mine suggested we both go get pipes to smoke while drinking rum. So we did. I lost track of him, but I'll always be thankful (mostly) for him being responsible for me starting this hobby (lifestyle) over 30 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.