PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I now have three different pipes in my line up. One bent brandy shape no name, one apple straight Murray Frame and Love, one Rhodesian no name. I like all three and from my inexperienced perspective each draws just fine. I think that the Rhodesian may have an easier draw, that is to say that I feel like it in general is much more open when I draw. So what qualifies a good draw? Is there a definitive metric for this or is it simply subjective?
I will also say that I tend to get much more gurgle from the bent pipe that from the straights, though Im not sure why. I do find that the gurgle in the bent causes me to slow down and pace myself.

Thanks in advance!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Type of tobacco, breathing, and packing can all attribute to moisture collection which causes "gurgling." If there is a difference in draw when the pipes are empty check the "ol' smoke hole." It might need a reaming or at least a bristle cleaner with a bit of "Everclear" to soften up the crud and clean it out.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Great question, I have been wondering this myself. In general, I would think a pipe with a somewhat wider stem/shank drill would have a 'better' draw, but I am guessing there is a happy medium.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Short answer, it's subjective.
But objectively speaking, a smooth, easy draw is best. It's just that some people find a more open draw to be smoother, while others find a less open draw to be better suited to their smoking style. Beyond the "draw," there's also the question of turbulence, which can result in a wet or gurgling smoke. Open draws can gurgle just as much as tighter draws, depending on the geometry of the airway.
I used to think that more open was simply better, but I find that very open draws, especially with wide chambers make it harder to produce the required amount of vacuum/negative air pressure to keep things burning properly. Think of a drinking straw vs. a piece of standard PVC pipe -- it's much easier to drink through the straw than it would be with the PVC pipe! With smoking pipes, there has to be a balance between too open and not open enough. I think that balance is slightly different for different smokers.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Is this why I see some guys covering the bowl when they draw? Does that produce more vacuum?

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
No it's you that is providing the vacuum. Putting fingers over the bowl will increase the velocity of the air going into the bowl which may, and I emphasize may, help keep the tobacco lit.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The simple answer is, a good draw is one that doesn't feel constricted. It offers sufficient airflow to keep the tobacco lit and the smoke traveling without you feeling like your head will implode from the effort of drawing the smoke.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Upshalls, and an Edwards estate I recently purchased, are usually drilled with a smaller draft, MM and many others, with a larger draft. Regardless of the diameter, the smoker should not feel any significant impedance. It takes a while to develop a sense for what constitutes a proper draw and what is the expectable, and thus normal, impedance; without it we would suck in huge volumes of smoke, burn our mouths. Gentle puffs should get the proper amount of smoke drawn to your mouth. But again, this all takes time to develop: keep smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It does depend on what you like. Too tight a draw (which is a subjective call) can make it hard to

get a nice stream of smoke and taste. Too open a draw puts too much air in the smoke and

reduces the taste and makes the leaf burn too fast. But every pipe smoker experiences this

a little bit, or a lot, differently. Some people like to smoke filter pipes with no filter, which usually

gives a pretty open and breezy draw. Personally, I'd rather smoke a pipe designed without a filter.

I buy my Savenelli's that way when I can, so I don't have to use an adaptor, which to me adds a slight

plastic flavor. Still, a too-tight draw is inhibiting, and a too open draw is just too much air with the

smoke. I enjoy a wide range of draws, but within limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.