What Compares to Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
After two years are pipe smoking I still have many blends I am interested in trying but have yet to get to them. Some I own and I am just waiting to open and others I consider buying as I slowly learn what I like. The exploration of straight (or almost straight) Virginias has been very interesting as they are so variable. I just finished a tin of Old Gowrie so had space to open another Virginia for the rotation. The others I have open at the moment are OGS and C&D Opening Nights. OGS is not a favourite of mine, it is a solid smoke but I find I prefer fresh grass over dry hay in my Virginias. Opening Nights is good but a little harsh around the edges at times. I have ordered more tins of Opening Nights and plan on not smoking them for several years to see what happens. Old Gowrie has become my go to, Peter Stokkeybye Navy Flake is another winner for me and occasionally I like the tang of Christmas Cheer.
Yesterday I got around to opening a tin of Full Virginia Flake. I have had it for a year and half and it probably sat on a shelf in a shop in Toronto for a while before it made its way to me. From all I have read on here I was a little intimidated of this blend but I figured what they hell have I got to loose.
On opening the tin the first thing I noticed was some nice plume and an awesome smell. The flakes were moist but not wet. Certainly wetter than a lot of tobacco I smoke but whenever I wonder about things being too wet or too dry my motto is "shut up and smoke it, you can always change it next time around".
It looked so good I even took a picture

I roughly rubbed out a flake which was very springy and loaded up a sandblasted Peterson trinity straight billiard. It took a few attempts to get it properly alight but my-oh-my what a treat! The flavour was big, rich and well, full! I was amazed at the consistency of taste throughout the bowl, it is a pretty small pipe and it seemed to last forever. There were a few relights along the way but I never hit a point that it was annoying or troublesome in any way. I was left with very little dottle and the understanding that there is a whole other world of Virginia's that I need to explore.
So my question is what straight (or almost straight) Virginias compare to FVF in terms of rich, smooth and full flavour?

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
You should also try F&T Cut Virginia Plug and Aylesbury Luxury Flake. Both are excellent, especially as a summer smoke as they are on the lighter end of the flavor spectrum- by that I mean not super robust, but they both have plenty of complexity. I haven't cracked a tin of FVF in quite a while because I find myself prefering Best Brown Flake.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The only straight VA flake I've smoked is Dunhill, and frankly glad I've finally got to the last of ten tins of it, as it as bored me with its one-note character progressively since the first tin. I would imagine if you took Dunhill flake as it comes from the tin, at a perfect moisture level, then hyrated it till it was too wet to stay lit, you would have something fairly equivalent to SG out of the tin.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always smoke Va and Va/Per in rotation with other tobaccos. These come to life when you get back to them, but if you smoke only these, you lose the excitement. A few, like Russ's Fire Storm remain lively, but that's the dark-fired in there. Some mild tobaccos are vivid when you smoke them between fuller strength blends.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a tin of Dunhill Flake that I will open soon so I can compare it with FVF.
You should also try F&T Cut Virginia Plug and Aylesbury Luxury Flake

I keep reading about Cut Virginia Plug but have yet to find any to buy. I do have the a tin of Luxury Flake also waiting in the wings. I might need to revisit Best Brown Flake as I have only tried one bowl of it and it was dry as a bone and did not speak to me in any way.
mso489: I could not agree more. I am primarily an English smoker but in the summer I like to mix it up more. I have plenty of blends open at any one time and enjoy the variety more than any one tobacco.

ctron

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
I would say that Mac Baren's HH pure Virginia is something you would like. Both FVF and pure virginia have a spot in my regular rotation.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I was just wondering about this very topic! Are there any bulk blends that come close, or at least share some of the same qualities?

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Last year I aldo had a good time with SG fvf, got through a few tins of it rather happily. Mine wasn't aged like yours though and I did enjoy it for a while but soon got a bit sick of it. Happens with most baccy for me so nothing new there.
I however would not reccommend Dunhill flake..
Imo it is far too cased with fruity smelling topping to be considered a real va smoke. It stinks of plum if I recall rightly, it tastes overly sweet and burns the first half of the bowl way too acrid. The last tin I had I rubbed out the remains and poured it into a bag of other odds and sods left overs!
Not been on a recent journey of va but I also recall Dunhill 3 year matured va being a bit bland and way too dry aswell. Infact.. only SG fvf was really noteworthy imo.

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
I agree with everything hiplainsdrifter said. Definitely try Best Brown. Astley's 109 is also a personal favorite of mine. 44 aint bad either.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you're loving the FVF, why not just stick with it? People have loads of it in their cellars. I only have 9 tins left, but the one I cracked I loved. Why mess with success?

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
FVF is my favorite Virginia. If you like it, start stocking up. $30 for 250g.

Dunhill Flake is okay, but I find it a bit boring.

Try out McClelland Blackwood Flake, or 2010 for a bulk (may need to age it).

Also give SG Best Brown a go.

stoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Agree with the above and would add Wessex campaign brigade dark flake. Also cabbies mixture while a vaper the perique is lightly added.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
Dang it. Look what you made me do!

I just went and popped a tin of 2014 Blackwood's Flake. It's raining. I can't even smoke it tonight. I just wanted to smell that fermented bbq, and let it settle for tomorrow!

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
Everyone keeps talking about Dunhill - I really need to try that stuff out and see what all the hoopla is about.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
@bryguysc let the black woods flake sit for a few weeks and let it breathe first or it's pretty disappointing at first

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I totally agree, Andy. I jar it, and open it every day for at least a week, so it can breathe and settle down. Well, that and I just love to smell it! I'll sit in the couch watching TV with my nose practicallyin the jar! My wife thinks in crazy, but admits it smells good.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
I'll second,,,or third,,or whatever the suggestion of BBF. I found it when FVF became scarce.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Thanks for the help everyone.
I cleaned out 4 noggins of FVF this morning (only 3 tins but it is a start). I'll be sure to get a BBF when they are back in stock and I have several blends I plan on trying soon!
If you're loving the FVF, why not just stick with it?
I plan on it but I also like variety and the wealth of knowledge on this forum is well worth tapping into. I know not every taste is the same but I get an idea of what is similar or generally liked and that helps when I consider what I want to try next.

Status
Not open for further replies.