Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

What Brand/Artisan is Most Represented in Your Collection?

(78 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by peckinpahhombre
  • Latest reply from Nate
  1. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And why is it the most represented?

For me, it's Castello. I now own 32 and absolutely love the way they smoke. The briar tastes incredible and the draw is as wide open as it gets. The pipe I find myself reaching for most often is a Castello because I have just never had a less than stellar smoke from one. I know exactly what I am going to get every time I light the bowl.

The second most represented would be the pipes of Rad Davis of which I have 21. They all smoke wonderfully and they provide great bang for the buck in the artisan market. All but three of mine are blasts, and they all look fantastic.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good question Peck, I have more John Calich and Peterson pipes than any other brand. I think when you get over eight your entering collector territory.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey piper - I have a couple Calichs as well. One needs some restoration - I may ask Pat to do that when I see him in a few weeks.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The most represented pipe maker in my collection is Philip Trypis. Acquiring a collection of 32 NOS of his pipes from the 70s/80s meant I was spoiled for choice, and I added to the few I kept with acquisitions from antique stores and from Smokeybear. I have nine of Philip's pipes, and they are all wonderful smokers and exhibit his hallmark semi-rusticated style and his take on classic shapes. I have to say that I'm partial to these pipes, also, because of the fact that Philip is local, and because of his history with Brigham.

I am enjoying building my "Made in Canada" pipe collection, and have added some higher grade Brigham pipes, and a Vesz to the collection.

Peck, you know that I'd be happy to help if the work isn't beyond my skill-set.

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Of my 60+ pipes, about half are vintage Comoys. The rest are evenly split between Dunhill, Ashton and Charatans. With a smattering of Michael Parks, Stephen Downie, Trever Talberts, Petersons, Stanwells, Radice and Falcons.

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sevenelli, Peterson, Johs, Bentons (Iwan Ries Exclusives), and the N.C. carver Jerry Perry each have four
    or more pipes in my stable.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nording, because I actually have TWO!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck, I neglected to say why they are the bulk of my collection which I guess I missed when I originally read your post. John was a personal friend. He meant a lot to me and we would chat for hours about pipes, and tobacco and life in general. John gifted me my first Calich pipe. At the time I had a few cheap BC pipes and I was having trouble with them. He patiently taught me things about pipe smoking that my father didn't have time to before he passed. Sadly I had moved away and never got a chance to say good bye to John before his passing. He will always be remembered as a gentleman of the briar. The Calichs smoke amazing, are very light bowled and have for me the best bit thickness that I have come across. The Petersons are the most robust pipes I have of my collection and my Peterson 999 silver band continues to be the one pipe that sees the most use in my rotation. I hope that Calich smokes great for you when your restoration is done. I know Pat will do a great job for you!

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. sjb3

sjb3

Login to Send PM

I humbly request to see pictures of Pecks pipe collection! I'm sure it's a marvelous sight to behold!

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. sjb3

sjb3

Login to Send PM

Oh, and my small collection is mostly made up of Savinelli...great smokers at cheap prices!

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. pipeshark

pipeshark

Login to Send PM

Technically it would be Nording since I have been hunting his pieces for so long, but lately (and speaking of the rotation pipes and not the overall collection) it would have to be Gabrieli. Dan Cheblov does an amazing job, in my humble opinion, of designing his pipes and they really hit home on multiple levels for me. When I sit down to enjoy a smoke I want a full experience. As the tobacco takes hold, the pipe has to fit well in my palm and want to be held, it has to have a good weight as to allow clenching when necessary, but most of all (and hardest to find) the pipe must make me want to get lost in contemplating that grain/shape/design relationship. Gabrieli pipes have yet to disappoint me on any of those fronts and I find their quality phenomenal in terms of repeat and consistent smoking. With all that said however I think what keeps me coming back to Dan's work is that I have found no greater joy than breaking in a Gabrieli pipe. There is a taste... almost a sweetness that comes natural to his Briar that I have yet to find elsewhere. By the time a piece is fully broken in, I find myself wanting to pick up the phone and beg to snoop around his bench for my next purchase. Of all the Gabrieli pipes that I have been fortunate enough to acquire, I have yet to be even slightly disappointed with a single one. Those are by far and away better odds than I have experienced with any major name out there. This is of course an opinion thread so take mine for what you feel it's worth...but better than half the time I sit for a smoke now is with a Gabrieli pipe... that has to count for something.

May you next bowl be your best bowl!!
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Becker's by Fritz and Paulo, next would be Radice then Dunhill.
    banjo

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Of the pipes in my collection I have more Rad Davis(18)pipes than any other by a wide margin. The second most represented pipes I have are 4 Brian Ruthenberg's.

Like peck I feel that Rad is by far the best value for an artisan made pipe. The blasts that he does and the stem work cannot be found for the prices he charges. You can definitely spend more money and get great pipes but when I want a new artisan pipe I always go with Rad. I have other artisan pipes that are great smokers, but all but one was purchased as an estate because I would not spend the money required for a new one. I see other artisans making some great pipes, but the ones I feel are in the same league as a Rad are all over the 550.00 price range and to me they are not worth the added expense.

I would own more than the one Castello I have if they came with the same type of stems as are on my Rad's because they are fantastic smokers. I am just too picky now about stems to settle for something that is not as comfortable.

Peck, I had no idea you had that many Rad's and Castello's. How many freaking pipes are you up to now?

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have around 10 Savs or their seconds, but if I went by artisan I have 4 Nordings.

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. gripsie

Eddy

Login to Send PM

I have about 30 pieces in my collection. The most represented Artisan at the moment is Frank Axmacher, I own 3 of his pipes. And 3 Dunhills... Followed by several carves of which I own 2 pipes.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Piper12 - very cool story about Calich - he is a legend. Very tough to find his pipes on the estate market, which says a lot because he made a ton of pipes over the years.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I go by what is in my meager collection I would have to say it is as follows:

1. Trypis - thanks to Pruss I was introduced to the world of Trypis and love the 4 that I acquired from him. These pipes all smoke well and never let me down, not to mention they are all lookers.

2. Brigham - thanks to brdavidson, I have enjoyed this line of pipes and seem to be copy-catting him. Every time he buys a pipe and post photos I seem to fall in love with the pipe and need to acquire it.

Holy $hit - I'm a Canadian. These damn Canucks have tricked me into buying local. Damn you from the GWN, Damn you!!!!!!!

3. Savinelli/Stanwell/Butz-Choquin/Brebbia - these are all good smokers, look good, and are reasonable priced pipes.

I do have one Peterson St Patty's Day pipe (2013) and like Christmas Cheer baccy I feel I will be buying one of these every year. The one I have just LOVES Escudo so I have dedicated that pipe to that blend.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Savinelli followed by Pre- Republic Petersons. I am 3 short of a seven day set of the Pre-Republic Pete's. I am 4 short of a seven day set of made in Canada Brighams.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pipes in my collection are from the following companies or artisans:

Premal Chheda, Bob Swanson, Dave Neeb, Bruce Weaver, Rad Davis, John Dengler, Savinelli, Dunhill, GBD.

I had other pipes in my collection that were estates from Comoy, Dunhill and others which I sold when I needed to make room on a credit card to pay some expenses of my elderly mom interest free.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Of the 42 smokers in my reputation, I have the following stats:
    GBD: 12, by far the brand most represented
    James Upshall: 7
    Ashton: 5

Al

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Of the 40+ in my collection, 14 are Petersons. Their shapes are what first attracted me to them, as well as the way they smoke for the money. They may not be the best smokers, but for the price they do pretty well. Next would be Savs, I have 3 or 4 of them.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brigham and Trypis for me, buy Canadian maybe? Not really , just easy to get them around here and unfortunately I'm not in the market fo an artisan pipe at present.

Dan, its all part of our master plan to take over the pipe world. Peck is financing it, he hired Pat for the skilled labour and I'm just the hired goon!

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just counted and apparently I have a thing for threes, the most I have of any maker, and a lot of singles and doubles. I have three of the following: Castello, Ser Jacopo, Ashton, Ferndown, Charatan, Colossal and Dunhill.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just counted and apparently I have a thing for threes, the most I have of any maker, and a lot of singles and doubles. I have three of the following: Castello, Ser Jacopo, Ashton, Ferndown, Charatan, Colossal and Dunhill.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. sfsteves

sfsteves

Well Aged

Login to Send PM

Ben Wade ... my first quality pipe was a Wade and because I loved that pipe so much, I gravitated in that direction for quite some time ...

SteveS
    de gustibus non est disputandum

"If there is no smoking in Heaven, I shall not go." - Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

My main area of concentration is the Pre-Transition Barling pipe, of which I own between 35 and 40. Why? Because they are the best pipes I have ever had the pleasure to smoke. Because the briar from which they were carved was of the finest quality obtainable. Because that briar was harvested and cured under the supervision of the Barling family before being turned, not bought from suppliers. By and large they are not the prettiest of pipes, nor the most elegantly shaped. But they support the flavor of the tobacco like nothing else. Being lazy, I don't want to work to enjoy a pipe. Barlings are effortless to smoke. There's also a long and, for me, interesting history and tradition associated with these pipes.
    I have a collection of Dunhills, about 16, which, with a few exceptions, I rarely smoke. I also have a number of Pre-War Kaywoodies which perform similarly to the Barlings. In the 1920's and early '30's KBB had a large inventory exceptional briar, 100 year old wood that was also air cured for years before being turned. I love smoking those pipes.
    There's a collection of roughly 10 Pre-War Sasieni pipes, and a few postwar. These are more hit and miss. At some point I will probably sell them off. But for now, prices on 8 dots aren't going south.

The English portion is rounded out with a few Charatans and a few Comoys. If I ever get serious about building more of an English collection, I'll go for the Comoys, which are a bargain for the money. Excellent smokes.

The rest of my collection is largely American. I own a few Talberts because they are also uniformly fine smokes and I enjoy the styling. I have six or seven Paul Tatums, which are also great smokes and which are unique in their darkly humorous styling. Among my favorite pipes are the ones that were carved by Lee Von Erck. These provide a very mellow sweet smoke. His rustication/blast finishes are beautiful. Add to the above some Walt Cannoy pipes, a few by Tony Fillenwarth, and a few by Ruthenberg. There's probably some other makers whom I'm forgetting at the moment.

I may start investigating other American carvers but for now, I'm very content with what I have.

I still enjoy the hunt, but I rarely leap these days.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  27. shortyeastcoast

shortyeastcoast

Login to Send PM

Missouri Meerschaum!

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. billbearcat

billbearcat

Login to Send PM

Of my 13 pipes five are Peterson's.

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Currently it's at:
    11 GBD from the 60's and 70's
    7 Lane era Charatan
    7 Connoisseur
    5 Dunhill

The rest are handmades and 1 or 2 of a kind. 1 Preben Holm, 1 W.O. Larsen, 2 Paolo Becker, 1 Claudio Cavicchi, Scott Thile, Steve Morisette, etc. I'm looking at a particular style of Castello, and after that I'll focus on Anerican pipe makers.

Eric
    Posted 5 years ago #
  30. jerry

jerry

Login to Send PM

I have Meerschaums only, and I scaled my collection down to about 15. Five of them carved by F. Baki.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sablebrush - Family Barlings have long piqued my curiosity. As have vintage Sasieni. I ended up going for Comoys (30+) because, like you said, they provide an excellent smoke from well cured vintage wood, for an affordable price. Plus the classic English shaping which is extensive in Comoy. Something I didn't see in Barling or Sasieni. Nevertheless, if I had to do it over again, I would still stick with Comoys, but would drop the Dunhills (and maybe the Charatans) in favor of Barling (and perhaps Sasieni).

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. jthomas04

jthomas04

Login to Send PM

I think I have 10 pipes carved by J.M. Boswell. A handful of Peterson's, but my go to are the Boswells for sure.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Hi kashmir,

+1 on the Comoys. As you know, those classic British shapes were actually classic French shapes. I suspect that Comoy's French origins had something to do with their elegant take on shapes.

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sable - To tell you the truth, I never put two and two together. I'd always assumed Comoys shapes were classic English shapes. But you're right, of course, given the Comoy family history and connection to St. Claude, it makes sense that the classic element of French design, so noted in the fashion world, must have crept into the pipe world as well. We can call it the perfect amalgamation of French taste and English practicality.

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck, I had no idea you had that many Rad's and Castello's.

Indeed. Notwithstanding the unseemly crush you have for all things Rad, there are others here who appreciate him as well. We just keep our affection to ourselves, however.

I was going over my pipes. JT Cooke comes in third in my stable, with 15.

Ignoring the Dunhills I mentioned elsewhere, I guess the next in line would be Bruce Weaver and grant Batson, each with 6 pipes.

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. shutterbug

shutterbug

Login to Send PM

Nowhere close to some of the collections seen here in the forums, but my collection is large in my eyes, and the top brands by quantity:
    Radice
    Savinelli
    Peterson
    Chacom
    Tsuge

Shutterbug

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shutterbug - Radice to me is one of the most underrated pipes out there. Lots of value for the dollar. I want to get a couple. Right now I only have two, including one of the aerobilliard reverse calabash pipes, and they smoke like a dream.

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. shutterbug

shutterbug

Login to Send PM

Agreed wholeheartedly!
    Love them enough that I want to hone in on them when I see them. Lately my L'Anatra collection has been growing as well with their Pettinate collection (so far 4) but looking for more.

Shutterbug

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have around 35 pipes. 15 or so of those are Elliot Nachwalter or Briar Workshop pipes. Why? I just love the aesthetics of his pipes -- particularly the sinuous curves and the sharply defined bowl-shank transition. The snowflake on the stem and the Vermont connection is icing on the cake. Some are amazing smokers. Others are not. I'm definitely a collector as much as a smoker when it comes to these.

The runner up (for now) is Andrew Marks, another Vermont pipe maker. What I like about his pipes are his whimsical, organic sense of shape. Plus, they are fantastic smokers with comfortable, high-quality rubber stems and well aged, tasty briar.

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

shutterbug, I think that Radice is one of the best bang for the buck pipes on the market. At one time I owned 6 in my collection and they all smoked great. If they came with vulcanite stems I would own some today.

Posted 5 years ago #
  41. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If he did it over, kashmir would drop his Dunhills? Their stock just went down. And
    Comoy's and Barling's just went up.

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At first I would have said Peterson but doing a quick inventory I was shocked to find out I have gathered more Chacoms then anything else.

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
    Posted 5 years ago #
  43. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL mso! I didn't mean to denigrate Dunhills. I love their shapes, perfect engineering, the fact you can date them to year, and their illustrious history. But to be honest, they are a bit over priced in my book. Especially the estates. I'm loyal to vintage Comoys for a number of reasons, not least of which is the smoke they give me. But I am darn curious about Barlings and Sasieni. Never smoked one, so hence the curiosity.

Posted 5 years ago #
  44. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

30 + Custom-Bilts and their seconds
    3 Savinelli
    3 Comoy or Comoy Seconds

Posted 5 years ago #
  45. jcsnaps

jcsnaps

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have about 22 Preben Holm pipes, simply like that Danish stuff. Also a bunch of the Ben Wade Danish made, presumably under the guidance of Holm.

Posted 5 years ago #
  46. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My personal goal was to own an example of a pipe or two from as many pipe makers as possible. While I may never achieve such lofty heights, I have only had one pipe out of thirty or so makers that is just not smokeable on a regular basis.
    I have 13 Edwards brand pipes, eleven of which were done in Florida, and 2 made in France. The Edwards Skipper was my first tobacco house pipe, and I began collecting them in the 80's.
    I also have 10 Petersons, because I like their aesthetic, and have yet to find a bad one.
    The remaining pipes of my 87 are one or two of this or that, and I like it that way, very much, thank you.

Posted 5 years ago #
  47. vigil

vigil

Login to Send PM

Several Old Comoy and Savanelli, a couple Petersons, an eclectic mix of BBB, Bjarne, and a pile of Falcons.

Posted 5 years ago #
  48. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

This is a very interesting thread. It's cool to see the diversity of choices amongst pipesters.

Posted 5 years ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

tinpan

Login to Send PM

Let's see...
    84 American Smoking Pipe Company - I am little biased, I've known Mark for years and I really like his pipes. About half of these are Christmas Pipes. Why? Year in and year out Mark makes a great pipe at a good price.

17 Charatans - I've had more but down sized to fewer nicer pipes. Can't seem to leave them alone

10 Rad Davis - I saw Rad at the CORPS show a few years ago and he had a table full of squashed tomatoes. I thought it was one of the most interesting shapes I had seen in years. I snagged 6 of them at that show. Then the prices went up.
    He also is a great bargin even at today's prices

7 Alberto Bonfiglioli- Awesome pipes, way under priced, one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I also like the fact that he always comes to the CORP show.

5 Jon Rinaldi- Again, met him at the CORPS show a bought my first pipe using my cell phone to pay him. Awesome pipes and I think he really under prices them.

2 Russ Cooke - You guessed it, CORPS show, newer pipe carver. I like the precision in his shapes and his prices.

1 Perry White - Bob Swanson makes a lot of Charatan type shapes, I had 4 of these at one point but traded 3 and kept the sand blast. It is a killer pipe.

I also have a couple Lee Von Erck and Michael Parks pipes - You have to pay a little more to get these but they are very nice. Lee with his classic danish and custom shapes and Michael with his precision.

Also have a few Stokkebyes and Jorgen Larsens - I'm trending back to Danish shapes

2 Dunhills - At one point I had over a hundred of these. I decided to focus more on American carvers

Posted 5 years ago #
  50. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, many years ago I would have said Dunhill was the most common pipe brand in the 60+ pipes my wife and I had. Now out of the 26 pipes we currently own, we have no Dunhills. I would have to say the most common pipes we have would be a tie between Stanwell and Sasieni. (3 of each) We don't seem to collect pipes like we used to, now it's more about how we like the feel of the pipe, how it smokes, and of course, how much it costs. I think we're actually enjoying pipe smoking now more than we did in the 80s. (go figure, we had more money to spend on them then too, sheesh)

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 5 years ago #
  51. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

tinpan, that is one hell of a collection. There are some seriously nice makers in your stable. You should show us some pictures of them as we are whores for pipe pics.

Posted 5 years ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

tinpan

Login to Send PM

You should show us some pictures of them as we are whores for pipe pics.

Oh man, we'll see. I had no idea taking pictures would be so difficult. I thought I would simply photograph my Christmas pipe collection and it took me since Veteran's day and 2000 photos later before I even thought I had any shots halfway presentable. There are some pretty cool pipes in there though that a lot of folks may not be aware of like Rinaldi and Cooke

Posted 5 years ago #
  53. guhrillastile

guhrillastile

Login to Send PM

I thinned down and managed my rotation recently to more closely stay to what I enjoy smoking rather than enjoy owning. Strange sounding when I explain it like that but I'm sure everyone understands. I had one heck of a time sorting and whittling my group down. Turned out to have the batches.
    My rotation. 50 pipes. Then the overflow that while I discovered I rarely smoke them I just enjoy them so much I am keeping them as alternates. They are housed with the oddball collector piece or sentimental ones that I cherish. They are numbering right around 60 or there abouts. I am in middle of posting nearly 400 more on the bidding site in workable groups to purge the massive estate straglers I have hoarded over time.

If looking at my personal rotation for specific brands I am almost bummed to Dunhill beats the rest out. Even MY OWN are second in line at only 6 in my rotation!!. I have groups of three from quite a few. And singles along with no names threaded throughout making up the rest.

Posted 5 years ago #
  54. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

1 Perry White - Bob Swanson makes a lot of Charatan type shapes, I had 4 of these at one point but traded 3 and kept the sand blast. It is a killer pipe.

I spent some time talking to Bob in Richmond. I came away very impressed with the man and his work.

Posted 5 years ago #
  55. gentlemanjerry

gentlemanjerry

Login to Send PM

I'm partial to Savinelli with 4 of them, then Petersons with 3 - all of my other 10 are from different makers.
    They all smoke well.......but the balsa filter on the Savs......I must admit.....make a smoother smoke that I've come to like, so I'll probably acquire more.Ironically, I shied away from them because I thought they would impede the flavor - How wrong I was! Savs and Petes are - to me - the best looking pipes .....in the affordable range! Hey, I know - tastes are subjective!

Posted 5 years ago #
  56. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bump.

It's time for a recount ladies and gentlemen. I know my collection has changed drastically in the year or so since Peck posted this thread. We've also added some new forum members who might like to add their voice, so let's do a roll call and see what has been added or deleted in the intervening weeks since the last post here.

Current Collection - 40(ish) Pipes
    Most represented brands/carvers - Comoys (4), Ryan Alden (3), Blatter & Blatter (3), Sasieni (2)
    Looking to add more - Castellos, Parks, KB&B, Alden, Comoys, Sasieni, GBD, Calich & Vesz
    Favourite smoking pipe in the collection - Castello Sea Rock Canadian
    Looking to divest - Remaining Trypis pipes

-- Pat

Posted 3 years ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

theediabeticman

Login to Send PM

Dan Bender Pipes
    Kaywoodie
    E. Andrews
    Charatan
    Peterson
    Sasieni

Inspirational quote to be inserted during an inspirational moment
    Posted 3 years ago #
  58. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rad Davis.

Hobbyist Pipemaker - Carmette Pipes
    Posted 3 years ago #
  59. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wish I could say I had a lot of any one pipe maker, especially Barling, but I do not. I like having a pipe or two from each of the old time makers, and am just about there. Time to hone in on one or two makers, and bit by bit, stem by stem, improve the collection. I am now hurting for a Castello! Hunting for one, too!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  60. rfernand

r

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peterson, by far.

Dunhill will return.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  61. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Bruce Weaver, and Preben Holm era Ben Wade freehands.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dr. Grabow is winning the race over here. 12, the last time I did an inventory.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  63. brass

brass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a couple of dozen MM cobs and a half dozen artisan cobs by R. Santia. I love the cobs but have a lifetime supply. I'll not buy others with the exceptions of some antique or hand crafted specials that catch my eye.

I have over a half dozen Savinelli and Stanwell pipes - maybe close to a dozen each. They all smoke great, I like the shapes and can be had for reasonable sums. I have enough of these and will only add shapes that whisper come hither to me.

I currently have 5 Neerup/Peder Jeppesens and will likely add more eventually. I love the shapes, finish and uniqueness of these pipes and they smoke really well.

I have a single GBD, W.O. Larsen, Nording, Sasienii's, Comoy, Icarus and others. I will not actively seek to add additional of any of these excepting perhaps the Icarus and Neptune.

I also have a couple of meershaums including a CAO. I don't know if I will add others or not. If I do, it will be high end. I'm not really happy with the draw on the meers nor the stem assembly. They are, however, beautiful.

Pax

Posted 3 years ago #
  64. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bewlay make up about 10% of my pipes and about 75% of my rotation.

Posted 3 years ago #
  65. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

6 Meers, 5 Savinellis, 4 Missouri Meerschams, 4 Mr. Brogs and an assortment of briars rescued from flea markets, junk/antique/collectibles shops

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  66. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peterson is the factory pipe that rules my cabinet. I got hooked on Peterson because my family ancestry is mostly Irish and German. The first I bought, an Aran B5, was a great pipe, so I kept with the brand. Haven't ran into any QC problems as some have mentioned over the years.

As for artisans I only have three, two Don Warren's and one Dr. Bob. Love all of them.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  67. antbauers

antbauers

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@pruss

- no longer a fan?

Posted 3 years ago #
  68. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@pruss

- no longer a fan?

Don't get me wrong.

They are good pipes. Especially for the price. Drilled straight. Good Greek briar. Vulcanite stems. Good mortise tenon fitment. If you want to build a rotation for $30 - $60 per pipe, you can't go wrong. I just want a little bit more in my pipes and am willing to pay more to get it.

I'd buy a NOS Trypis or an estate Trypis before most of the $100 or less factory pipes being sold right now.

But I'm not in the market for those either.

-- Pat

Posted 3 years ago #
  69. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have more Peterson's than any other brand followed closely by Brigham's.

Posted 3 years ago #
  70. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

My counts have changed, but GBD is still on top:
    GBD-15
    Sasieni-7
    Peterson-6
    Ashton (Taylor)-5
    Comoys-5
    James Upshall-5

Posted 3 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   spartacus, madox07, tbradsim1, greeneyes, mrenglish, cigrmaster, danimalia, alaskanpiper, condorlover1, tkcolo, jpmcwjr, canadianpuffer