PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
One of the things I look for in new blends is originality and uniqueness. To me, with few exceptions, if you've smoked one straight Virginia, you've smoked them all. Same applies to English and Balkan Blends. There does seem to be more variety among the aromatics. I don't mean to say that there is no differentiation or that there aren't standout blends in every category, e.g., FVF, Escudo, Stonehaven, Pirate Kake maybe, etc. But few are ones I would call standout unique blends with no close alternates available.
I used to put Stonehaven in this category, and as a practical matter, I still do since the nearest blend, Rich Dark Flake, is very expensive to acquire here in the states.
I would also say that to me Condor is unique, as well as Russ's Classic Burley Kake. Oh, and Prince Albert I think stands out from the pack. Pirate Kake may qualify but I'm just thinking off the top of my head.
So, are there any blends that are so unique that they stand out from crowd?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Interesting question: Out of all the blends I have smoked I think Shortcut to Mushrooms is the most unique. I say that even though there are other english crossovers such as Frog Morton, but none come close to the smooth creaminess of this blend, except perhaps the 1980's version of Balkan Sobranie, but alas that blend is no more except in a few stray tins and cellars.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
SJ, you remind me of another blend that I might consider unique: Dominican Glory Maduro. If not unique, it is certainly one of my favority cigar leave blends - along with Stogie. I actually have a tin of Stogie in the batter's box.

May 31, 2012
St. Bruno
Sinclair Highland Sliced
Erinmore (old Murray's version moreso)
Velvan Plug
etc etc
...lots of those old Brit blends had unique toppings,

many of which, sadly, are gone gone, and we'll never be able to taste.
The obvious choice for me are lakelands,

truly unique,

and only from Kendal.

So unique that their geographical location identifies them and smoking one of those scented blends,

one unmistakably knows from whence it came.
Robt. McConnell Latakia Flake is quite the unique bird.
Esoterica Hastings
I agree 100% about Condor,

no doubt.
Ogden's Gold Block
CWS Mahogany Flake
:puffy:

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Sam Gawith's 1792 Flake is unique in flavor and the nicotine hit it produces to me. Im always looking for high nic tobaccos but 1792 is one that makes me a bit woosie and if smoked too long, almost a headache. Its quite tasty though so its easy to over do it. The tonquin flavoring makes it a one of a kind smoke for sure.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Holly's Non Plus Ultra by Dan Tobacco in unique in that it is the worst blend in the world bar none. It is beyond vial. Thankfully, it has no peer. If anyone is interested I have a tin with 2 bowls missing from it. I could not believe the first bowl so I had a second. I must have been out of my mind. PM's re Non Plus Ultra will be answered post haste.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Hollys Non Plus Ultra x's 10,000. It's like Mixture 79 on eleven!"
I stand corrected. The lowest hanging fruit on the pipe tobacco tree humor tree is indeed Holly's NPU not Mixture 79

Status
Not open for further replies.