What Blend Do You Find Sings in a Large Pot?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I know that this is a matter of opinion but there has to be some trend, yes? I did some searching of past posts and many said, generally, Aros and Englishes/Balkans but there were no specifics. There were even a few who said Virginias.
Any specific Blend you like in a large pot?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like squirrel stew in a large pot. :wink:
I really have not experienced a difference in pipe shapes and sizes other than the length of the smoke.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Roux, onions, celery, Shrimp, sausage, chicken, okra, and a little file.... :D
I don't really have a "pot" or really wide bowl in use, but the soup pot never rests around here.
jay-roger.jpg

Mar 29, 2016
Ribbon cut tobacco smokes and tastes nice in a Pot. The thicker the ribbon the better, so that points to those otherwordly G.L.Pease English/Balkan mixtures and McClelland ribbon cut Virginias.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My perique blends seem more flavorful in my big Stanwell versus a smaller pipe, especially the Acadian Perique, which seems to have everything in it.
It's not a pot shape, per se, but does have a wider chamber than my others.
jay-roger.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I find that the more complicated a blend is, the better it tastes in a pot, and I'm able to pick out the nuances more. I also find that Wilke #515 and EGR work better in a pot or a squashed tomato.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
When I started smoking, there were threads on here saying that pots were better suited to lat blends and narrow chimney pipes were better for flakes. But I've never considered it a hard and fast rule.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I love smoking English/Balkan blends in my large pot and it sure does sing!
A few of my favs:
  • Margate
  • Exotique
  • Medal of Valor

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I second Margate; specifically in my stout Spanu olivewood. I also enjoy Maltese Falcon or any complex Latakia blend in a pot shape.
As for other blends, I do have an Il Ceppo pot(ish) bent that pairs well with Peterson Irish Flake.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
this time of year I prefer Hasenpfeffer in a large pot. :mrgreen: Sorry couldn't resist.
In all seriousness to answer your question.

You should really try some G.L.Pease Jack Knife Plug.

In a squat bowl pipe.

I feel it truly brings out more nuances to this tobacco than it has in any of my taller bowl pipes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
IMO, crumble cakes work really well in a pot shape; and in keeping with jimink's observation,

especially Capt. Earle's Honor Blend, with its mix of red Va, Cavendish, Orientals and Perique.

(Linked image)

Other, less complex, possibilities (that reveal my bias for fruity tasting Periques):
  • H&H Anniversary Kake

C&D Kajun Kake

C&D Night Train

C&D Chenet's Cake

Watch City Cigar's Old Dominion

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm with jiminks on this, which is often a good place to be. One theory is that a broad bowl allows more different kinds of tobacco to burn at once on the surface of the ember thus producing a more complete experience of a blend of several or more tobaccos. Obviously, the blend has to be worth expanding to its full force, and that is often a matter of taste. I'd say if a blend has three or more kinds of tobacco, it is going to give fuller and more complex taste in a broader bowl such as is often present with a pot, author, diplomat, or prince. Or other broad cylindrical bowl. When a blend has five or six (or more) tobaccos, this effect seems especially apparent to me. I don't insist on this as a universal fact, just my experience.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I think there are few blends that aren’t improved when smoked in a wide bowl, like those found in some pots. I find keeping the ember small and the burn temp minimal helps the flavor present. Consequently, I smoke everything in such pipes. I have a stable of narrow, deep bowled pipes that I kept for va flakes, but seldom reach for them.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
I have a stable of narrow, deep bowled pipes that I kept for va flakes, but seldom reach for them.

I also find my narrower pipes, neglected... I try to find something for them to do/smoke.

As always, a combo of JimInks and mso489 advice is worth taking.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
In a large pot i have found that Tsuge: Ryujin tastes better in comparison to a smaller bowl. I think its because the larger gives it ample room to expand when lit. If you like a strong english blend with a good nic hit give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.