What Blend Contained Your First Taste of Latakia?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I was reading the OLD thread about Squadron Leader tobacco, and found a comment that struck me as interesting.

Here's just the gist in an excerpt.

I love squadron leader. It was the first blend I ever smoked with latakia in it.

I distinctly recall not only the first blend I smoked with Latakia, but everything about it from the moment it arrived. It was a bulk blend by Newminster, #52. It is definitely strongly laced with smoked tobacco and I was delighted and amazed with the loss of my Latakia virginity.

(Of course I've been sampling many other Lat blends since then.)

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
English Oriental Supreme by Peter Stokkebye. I was in the backyard of the house my ex-fiancé's best friend was living in, throwing sticks for her best friend's boyfriend's Pit-Bull. It's a bittersweet memory, to say the least.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Technically Sail Yellow, but the Latakia in that is small. After that it was either a sample of Penzance or Frog Morton on the Bayou. Can't remember the order I smoked those, but at the time I was disappointed with Frog as I didn't like the Latakia flavor. That's no longer the case of course.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I was so excited when my tobacco arrived. I had a few blends coming and I was maybe 3 or 4 months into pipes and pipe tobacco. The aroma of the 52 hit me as soon as I opened the box, and I was laughing out loud ( I live alone )

at it's audacity.

By midway through my first bowl, I knew it was an avenue to explore. This is the first blend I've smoked that I've burned into the stem of a cob. Must have been unable to tell the difference! :rofl:

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
That was Butera Pelican at the beginning.

"Oh my goodness..! People can smoke that? Leather or what? (the first taste that hit me)" was my initial reaction.
And then Dunhill Early Morning Pipe after a few years got me into Lakatia mixture and when I revisited Pelican, I found that it tastes wonderful indeed.

tallguy

Lurker
Sep 2, 2014
That would be Frog Morton on the town (in september of last year). It is still my go to tobacco with latakia.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Back in the '90s sometime.

dunhillaperitif.2.jpg

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I bought a Latakia-heavy English mixtures from my B&M. It´s not a particular brand but their "house-mixture". It smelled so strong and leathery but I was curious. After the first bowls I was not impressed and let the tin sit for a while. When I tried again a few days later I was hooked! Germains Special Latakia and Dan Tobaccos Holly´s Discovery are my favourites although the smell out of the tin reminds me of heavy fuel oil! :lol:

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I would imagine it was McClelland Bombay Court

Extra. That would have been in 1989. I got

a brochure which contained reviews of all

The then LPI blends you could get by mail.

I have been a fan of McClelland ever since.

I do prefer Bombay Court over the Extra now.

Mike S.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I would imagine it was McClelland Bombay Court

Extra. That would have been in 1989. I got

a brochure which contained reviews of all

The then LPI blends you could get by mail.

I have been a fan of McClelland ever since.

I do prefer Bombay Court over the Extra now.

Mike S.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
In the early sixties I smoked OTCs which I bought at my local drug store. One day I came in and saw they were closing out some Christmas samplers of Dunhill tobacco. I guess no one knew what they were at Christmas. I bought one because it was cheap. I opened the Standard mixture first and entered a new world of pipe smoking. At the time I couldn't tell any difference in the taste of the different Latakia mixtures, but I liked them all. After that I started buying my tobacco at a tobacco shop, so I could get more of that Dunhill goodness.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
A pouch of John Bull from P&C in my first pipes and tobacco order. At the time, it was completely unlike anything that I had experienced and I thought it was amazing. Not sure how it would hold up now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.