What Are Your Favorite 'Sipping' Tobaccos???

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjsgarden

Lurker
Feb 22, 2019
West Monroe, LA, USA
Hello Everyone,

I usually smoke three bowls a day. I mostly smoke twisted flake tobaccos in a medium briar or cob.

My greatest enjoyment comes from a slow rate of puffing small whiffs of smoke over an extended period of time.

I look for tobaccos that have subtle and complex flavors that require a more reflective and meditative mood to enjoy.

I would appreciate opinions about your favorite 'sipping' tobaccos and how you find more pleasure in a reflective mood.

Thanks, John

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
They're all sipping tobaccos for me. Smoking too fast is a great recipe for tongue bite and burn.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I sip most if not all, but one of the best to sip slowly and soak in is Mac Baren Old Dark Fired. Love to fill a bowl up with that and just sit and sip the afternoon away.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I sip all tobaccos, but for complexity of flavor or for more enjoyment, HU Director's Cut, HU Makhuwa, HU 5th Anniversary Blend, Motzek Strang, GLP Renaissance and Bohemian Scandal, F&T CVP, SG FVF, Rattray's HOTW, St Bruno, Germain's Dunbar, RO Perique Series GP-11, McClelland 40th, McClelland 5100, Sutliff 515CR, A&C Peterson made Escudo, Chatham Manor, and others. Some of these are no longer in production, but the question wasn't about what was easily available.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Always sip. With stronger blends it gives you more of the subtlety and complexity. With milder blends, it gives you a pleasing quiet note. If you want big drags exhaled through your ears, it's time for a big cigar. Some nice sipping blends, of hundreds or thousands, are C&D Bayou Night, C&D Stratfordshire, SWR Aro, Triple Play, PS LNF, and off into the sunset.

tjsgarden

Lurker
Feb 22, 2019
West Monroe, LA, USA
Thanks for the comments,
I smoked Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky this morning. I am brewing some Earl Grey Creme tea as I write and plan to smoke Gaslight with it.
Sablebrush, What are some of your favorites that are still available?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sure, I puff sometimes if the light or relight is slow going. Or now and then to get an ember started if it seems to be going out. Or just out of enthusiasm if I find a blend especially good and better than expected. But I don't want to sit there in a pod of smoke. Sipping mostly does it, with the occasional puffing to get upgrade like a steam locomotive going uphill.

Jun 9, 2018
England
St James Plug, Full Virginia Plug & Revor are the ones I always sip but I am trying to make a conscious effort to slow my cadence down on all the tobaccos I smoke, as I use 9mm filter pipes or calabashes it is easier to smoke faster without realising it.
Chris

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Wish I sipped more. I tend to puff like a steam engine. But when I do sip, Gaslight and Plum Pudding bear particular fruit.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I always (try to) smoke slowly. When I get to sit down and smoke in the evening, which is far from dayly, I like something with a little strength. Others have mentioned ODF. 1792 Flake, Irish Flake, Royal Yacht, Lakeland Dark are some of my sit-down-smokes. Not that they are very complex, but the strength requires the same careful smoking that complex blends do to be fully appreciated.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
Meh, I'm not a fan of "sipping" and much more prefer giant plumes of tobacco smoke flowing over my face.
That being said, I can do so without melting down a pipe, or torching the tobacco to the point of tastelessness. :puffy:

Mar 29, 2016
"Meh, I'm not a fan of "sipping" and much more prefer giant plumes of tobacco smoke flowing over my face.
That being said, I can do so without melting down a pipe, or torching the tobacco to the point of tastelessness."
Right on, that was the sense in my question mark for sipping. More glory for the ones who do though.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
My three favorite tobacco's to sip are

G.L. Pease Jack knife plug

G.L. Pease Gas light

and Gawith/Hoggarth Grasmere Flake.

For some reason if I try to puff these three any faster than a casual sip while smoking the become unpleasant.

but if I slow way down and sip smoke them they are divine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.