Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:   
[sticky]

What are You Reading?

(860 posts)
  1. radio807

radio807

Login to Send PM

Just finished The Lords of Finance, just started The Seven Storey [sic] Mountain by Thomas Merton.

Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. olderthandirt

OTD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"The Gauntlet Assassin", LJ Sellers on the Kindle.

Snus, snuff and briar.
    Not much more required in a day.
    Brian from Oregon USA
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

R.A. Salvatore's Transition - Book 1 - The Orc King

I've read the first 25 books. If you're a fan of Fantasy style writing these books are the shit.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I picked up this book called, Shadow & Claw by Gene Wolfe, about a few months ago and I'm just now getting around to it. I'm about 50 pages into this thing and It's very much unlike anything I've ever read. It's copyrighted in 1980 and 1981. It's 2 volumes in one, of 4 total. The other 2 volumes, 3 and 4, are in the second book I have.

I would like to share my favorite couple of paragraphs so far into the book. I really love how the writer makes his characters really make an impression on you so far through the book. The excerpt is from a character who is a librarian of a ridiculously old and immense library.

"Yes, I recall it now-that little square of green and brown. I believe they dry rosemary there to put in pillows. I was sitter there, as I said, and had been for several watches, when it came to me that I was reading no longer. For some time I was hard put to say what I had been doing. When I tried, I could only think of certain odors and textures and colors that seemed to have no connection with anything discussed in the volume I held. At last I realized that instead of reading it, I had been observing it as a physical object. The red I recalled came from the ribbon sewn to the headband so that I might mark my place. The texture that tickled my fingers still was that of the paper on which the book was printed. The smell in my nostrils was old leather, still bearing the traces of birch oil. It was only then, when I saw the books themselves, that I began to understand their care."
    His grip on my shoulder tightened. "We have books here bound in the hides of echidines, krakens, and beasts so long extinct that those whose studies they are, are for the most part of the opinion that no trace of them survives unfossilized. We have books bound wholly in metals of unknown alloy, and books whose bindings are covered with thickset gems. We have books cased in perfumed woods shipped across the inconceivable gulf between creations-books doubly precious because no one on Urth can read them.
    "We have books whose papers are matted of plants from which spring curious alkaloids, so that the reader, in turning their pages, is taken unaware by bizarre fantasies and chimeric dreams. Books whose pages are not paper at all, but delicate wafers of white jade, ivory, and shell; books too whose leaves are the desiccated leaves of unknown plants. Books we have also that are not books at all to the eye: scrolls and tablets and recordings on a hundred different substances. There is a cube of crystal here-though I can no longer tell you where-no larger than the ball of your thumb that containsmore books than the library itself does. Though a harlot might dangle it from one ear for an ornament, there are not volumes enough in the world to counterweight the other. All these I came to know, and I made safeguardingthem my life's devotion."
    ***************************************************************************************************************************

It's really an amazing book so far. Things can only get more interesting.

P.S. The librarian is like over 100 or something and he's 7 or 8 feet tall, and blind; with a beard down to his waist. And he knows where most of the books are.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. simnettpratt

simnettpratt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just munched down "On Killing" By Col Rex Grossmann. Examines the psychology of training soldiers to kill another human being, and what happens to you when you do. It's grim but a must read for any student of military history. It explains why up to WWII, only 15-20 percent of soldiers fired their weapons at the enemy, and why that percent increased to 90-95 in the Vietnam war. Unfortunately, he almost ruins the book on his last page. He says perhaps it's time for the government to start controlling 'assault rifles' or pistols, movies, tv, the internet and video games, with which I do NOT agree. YMMV Also reading several non-fiction accounts of WWII experiences and fishing books (ok, the fishing books are probably half fiction)

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. bbauer

bbauer

Login to Send PM

Just started reading Resident Aliens today. I have to have it done by tomorrow night for a paper i need to write so that i dont get too behind.....but its so hard! So much good stuff in that book. I wish i would have started earlier so that i would have more time to digest everything, but so is the life of a college student.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. morlader

morlader

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just started Gettysburg by Newt Gingrich & William R. Forstchen

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. fredvegas

fredvegas

Login to Send PM

Just finished "Letter to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris, and I'm on to "The Case for God" by Karen Armstrong.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Time for some light reading - Corsair, by Clive Cussler.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. clanobucklin

clanobucklin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Boris Akunin's The Winter Queen - introducing the character Erast Fandorin.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just finished "Acts of Vengeance" by Ronnie Speer. It's a book about how POW's were treated during the Civil War and how they were often victims of retaliatory acts conducted by the two sides. They were often shot or hung because the other side shot or hung some men. The first chapter is about a Union Major and 5 of his men who were murdered shortly after being captured in southeast Missouri. When Union officials learned of this they took 6 POWS from the Jefferson Barracks POW prison in St. Louis and shot them. As I read the list of the confederate soldiers names one sounded very familiar-Asa V. Ladd. of Dexter,Mo. age 34. I called my sis who know more of the family genealogy and she said yes Grandma James was a Ladd. After some digging we found that Asa V. was our grandmothers-grandfather. We knew that he had been killed during the civil war,now we know how and why.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. cajunguy

Cajunguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got the new Stephen King novel "11/22/63" for Christmas, which was a very enjoyable read. I also re-read "The Hobbit" recently (started reading it as soon as the movie trailer was released, lol). I might tackle the other Tolkien books if I can find the time. It's been ages since I've read them.

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black." - Nigel Tufnel, Spinal Tap
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

R.A. Salvatore's Transition - Book 1 - The Orc King

I've read the first 25 books. If you're a fan of Fantasy style writing these books are the shit.
    flyfishn[/quote]

I agree love all of his books, I alternate between those and Stephen R Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series. That and all my fishing 2012 catalogs that just came in.

"You have to be a man first before you're a gentleman. "

John Wayne
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. seakayak

seakayak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My son got me started on Louis Lamore novels over the summer (the Sackett family series). These cowboys have become my guilty pleasure. Great stuff.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. frtimmyd

frtimmyd

Login to Send PM

Currently have three books going. "History of the English-Speaking People: The Birth of Britian" Winston Churchill, "The Complete Father Brown Mysteries" G.K. Chesterton, and "Surprised by Hope" N.T. Wright. Guess I'm just in a British mood right now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. jaysin

jaysin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Essential Liberty
    Really good little book

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. puffin

puffin

Login to Send PM

"Exceptional lives: a Survey of Exceptionalities" for a grad school class, "John Lennon: The Life" by Philip Norman for curiosity's sake, and working my way through "Walden" by Thoreau for the third time to satisfy my inner philosopher. I really enjoy reading, but I have found that prioritizing "required" readings for graduate school kills my ambition to read for fun. It's a shame really.

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect. - Aldo leupold
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Steven King's Duma Key

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. antipodesman

antipodesman

Login to Send PM

Attack of the Theocrats
    Link

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. logandow

logandow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Infantry Attacks by Erwin Rommel It's been an excellent book so far but I was assigned to read Clockwork Angel for my English class as well

A man without a pipe is a man unprepared
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. mikemacrdlnds

mikemacrdlnds

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Greater Journey, Americans in Paris 1830 to 1900, by David McCullough

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. wildcat

wildcat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just finished OLD BRIAR - Pipe Smoking on a Budget by Dave Whitney. Read it on the Kindle we got for Christmas.

For whereas men of an older school, like myself, smoke for the pleasure of smoking...
    A.A. Milne
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. juvat270

juvat270

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. This is my 4th time reading it!

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. soylentgreen

soylentgreen

Login to Send PM

Recent reads...

The Forever War, Joe Haldeman

Absolutely outstanding. Military sci-fi told in 1st person. Protagonist deals with "subjective timeline" issue as his career spans 5 years to him, but thousands of years "back home" on Earth... a consequence of Einstein's relativity theories.

Fire Upon the Deep, Vernor Vinge

Tedious. Shallow character development, and plot doesn't tie in with the "big idea" of the book in a compelling way.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Enemy in Sight,one of the Bolitho novels by Alexander Kent

The Forever War, Joe Haldeman

Joe Haldeman was a combat infantryman in Viet Nam. His application for conscientious objector was denied by his draft board, IIRC.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipingmike

Login to Send PM

Thus Spake Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Finished A Game of Thrones and now have started A Clash of Kings. Great series!

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. mikemacrdlnds

mikemacrdlnds

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"The Quite American" by Graham Greene. A anti-war novel about the early involvement of American in Vietman 1n 1955.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. bambam

bambam

Login to Send PM

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.
    (Robert Kennedy)
    Posted 2 years ago #
  30. joe912

joe912

Login to Send PM

Finished A Game of Thrones and now have started A Clash of Kings. Great series!

Yes it is!!

I'm about halfway through A Feast for Crows

If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it must be an electrical problem
    Posted 2 years ago #
  31. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What amazes me is how many stories are going on at once in the series of A Song of Ice and Fire and the fact that I haven't found any plot holes. To keep that many characters active and all in line with eachothers stories is very impressive. The show on HBO is just as good as the books too.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. tokerpipes

tokerpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I decided to pick up the Lord of the Rings series again. should take me a couple weeks to read all three books.

If you can't pack it, light it, and smoke it then why do it. It's a dieing art that must be rekindled in all of us as fortold by our forefathers.

Words to live by for all pipe smokers.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  33. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand on Kindle

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. ulrich

ulrich

Login to Send PM

I've got a few on the go right now.

Heat by Bill Buford
    Introducing Logic by Sharron Shatil, Dan Cryan, Bill Mayblin
    Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities by Ian Stewart
    Nausea by Sartre

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just bought Storm of Swords and Feast for Crows. Working on that laborous Storm of Swords. I'm sure it won't take nearly as long as expected to get through all 1,100+ pages lol. Also lastnight after I finished up Clash of Kings I read a few Holmes stories: Scandal in Bohemia, The Red-Headed League, and A Case of Identity.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes on my Kindle. Funny thing is I tried reading the Holmes stories when I was a kid and I hated it, couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Now 25 years later I love the stuff and can't put it down.

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. bronxbriar

bronxbriar

Login to Send PM

Moby Dick (finally got around to it).
    Loving it.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." -George Washington to the Continental Congress, 1776
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. stogie37

stogie37

Login to Send PM

Hmmmm...

Re-reading the past few years of the NASPC newsletter and Ruark's The Old Man and the Boy.
    Reading Deliberate Simplicity, The Worshipping Artist and UnChristian.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

porthos

Login to Send PM

I'm reading W E B Griffin's "The Outlaws" right now. I'm a huge Louis Lamour fan also, but I've read just about everything he has written.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Started "A Feast For Crows" lastnight, the fourth in the Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. topd

TopD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

John Carter..... The Movie Novelization

Steve 'Top' Downey
    Master Sergeant
    USMC - Retired
    Posted 1 year ago #
  42. terry

terry

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How to seduce your sister in law.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

treeder13

Login to Send PM

Anarchy Evolution by Greg Graffin

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. bronxbriar

bronxbriar

Login to Send PM

How to seduce your sister in law.

Making any progress?

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. keith929

keith929

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Half way through 11th Hour by James Patterson.

A smart man learns from the mistakes of others.
    A wise man learns from his own.
    ---Anonymous
    Posted 1 year ago #
  46. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

"The Great Bridge", the story of building the Brooklyn Bridge, on my Kindle. A fascinating tale.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Bridge-Building-Brooklyn/dp/067145711X

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. riptide

Charles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The complet work of H.P. Lovecraft on my Kindle.

Charles D. Wilemon
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

gungnir

Login to Send PM

Rereading one of my favorite books "Cold Zero" by Christopher Whitcomb.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. bronxbriar

bronxbriar

Login to Send PM

Just picked up A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. carlomarx

carlomarx

Login to Send PM

"Thunder struck" Eric Larson

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Charles, I think you gave me the excuse I needed to pull the trigger on a Kindle!

I'm re-reading the Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 1 year ago #
  52. steyrshrek

steyrshrek

Login to Send PM

American Assassin by Vince Flynn

War Against the Weak: Eugenics and America's Campaign to Create To Create a Master Race by Edwin Black

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. cajunguy

Cajunguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been in a horror mood of late (I always am, truthfully. I love the genre), so I'm reading Clive Barker's Books of Blood collection.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Essential Writings of Mohandas Gandhi.

Russ
    Pipe smoking is true relaxation. Everything else is work.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  55. loborx

loborx

Login to Send PM

The Cheyenne Way. It's a casebook study of Law among Tribal cultures. Lots of pipe smoking goes on in this book. Pipe tobacco is used as a means of settling "troubles" - a form of restitution for mediating conflicts, brokering peace, contemplating action. Quite fascinating.

Phil
    Beguiled by the exquisite Arcadia, the days and the years passed from me in delicate rings of smoke,
    and I contentedly watched them sailing to the skies. - J.M. Barrie
    Posted 1 year ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. briarbird

briarbird

Login to Send PM

Sacre Blue, by Christopher Moore.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. User has not uploaded an avatar

tom12

Login to Send PM

The Clash of Civilizations Samuel Huntington
    Pirates Captain Charles Johnson
    The 8th Confession James Patterson

I like to mix things up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

The Complete Fiction of HP Lovecraft. got it at Half-Price Books for $12.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. mikemacrdlnds

mikemacrdlnds

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Barbara Tuchmans "Sillwell and the American Experience in China 1911-1945"

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. lankfordjl

lankfordjl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1984 by George Orwell... I've never read it and there couldn't be a better time than today to get started.

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." -Mark Twain-
    "A pipe helps a wise man to think and gives a fool something to put in his mouth" -Trischman's Paradox-
    "Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim;...but I discipline my body and make it my slave." -1Cor 9-
    Posted 1 year ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. irishsmoker

irishsmoker

Login to Send PM

Bugs by Regis Mccafferty

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." - Charles Lamb
    Posted 1 year ago #
  64. 85royals

85royals

Login to Send PM

The Vintage Caper by Peter Mayle

I Am what I Am
    Posted 1 year ago #
  65. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Your Immortal Reality: Breaking the Cycle of Birth and Death

by Gary Renard

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  66. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

OOps duplicate post, sorry

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. martiniman

martiniman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@hobie now i know how to get to 5555

I just started a Sherlock Holmes collection volumes 1-4...

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I've been reading a lot of Don Winslow lately. He does a great job capturing the so-cal lifestyle, surfers etc.
    - The Dawn Patrol
    - Gentlemans Hour
    I just finished "Savages", which was excellent. Unfortunately, reviews of the new Oliver Stone movie weren't so flattering. I just picked up the prequel, "The Kings of Cool" and will start that this evening.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I also finished series by Jeffery Archer, historical/fiction "Only Time Will Tell", "Paths of Glory" and "A Prisoner of Birth" which trace a fictitious family from England from the 1930's thru WWII.

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. mrgunnar177

mrgunnar177

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Andy Mcnab nick stone book series is amazing, highly intest gritty thriller. Also The belgarion by David Eddings is a great fantasy series, and the lord of the rings. I read a lot.

You can buy education, but wisdom is a gift from God.
    Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   rootling, bluesmk, layinpipe, eaglerico, drwatson, rsuninv, peckinpahhombre, petes03, carytobacco, bubblehead33, virginiacob, nurseman, winton, woodsroad, brianlevine, pitchfork, purplemotoman, mmjk, dochudson, meatballj, edgreen, rangerearthpig, gop1ayoutside, shaintiques, metarzan, yaddy306