Tags:   
[sticky]

What are You Reading?

(943 posts)
  1. mikemacrdlnds

mikemacrdlnds

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Nothing Like It In The World" by Stephen Ambrose, the story of the building of the Transcontinental Railroad, 1863-1869.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

James Michener . The World Is My Home .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. guitarguy86

guitarguy86

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not exactly reading anything at the moment, although I have bookmarks in "The Complete Idiot's Guide To Getting Published," "The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft," "The Seat of The Soul," and a few others.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. gubernick

gubernick

Login to Send PM

Judge & Jury - James Patterson, Andrew Gross

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tangent - Mike Pomery

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. sjpipesmoker

sjpipesmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just finished Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (Great Book) now on to Still Searching for Pipe Dreams, got "Steve Jobs" and "Yes, Youre pregnant but what about me" by Kevin Nealon in the background

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am reading," In The Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson. It is about the ambasador for the USA in Nazi Germany. At the time they thought Hitler was a joke with a Charlie Chaplin mustache. Then as the politics of the time unfold they see the truth. Very good read.

Check it out;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Garden_of_Beasts

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. jharvard

jharvard

Login to Send PM

"Away Off Shore: Nantucket Island and Its People, 1602 to 1890" by Nathaniel Philbrick. Great writer.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. seanavan

seanavan

Login to Send PM

Getting close to finishing Gideon's Corpse by Preston & Child. I'm also in the middle of re-reading Robert Jordan's A Crown of Swords. I read the first 9 or 10 books years ago but they got tedious. Now that the series is ending, I'm re-reading it in order to (finally!) finish it up. It's a very pipe-friendly series.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. keith929

keith929

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just finished the first book in the series A Song of Fire and Ice: Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin and now on to A Clash of Kings.

A smart man learns from the mistakes of others.
    A wise man learns from his own.
    ---Anonymous
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. kabong30

kabong30

Login to Send PM

Blackout by Mira Grant. It's the last book of the Feed series which is zombie fiction, but with not a lot of zombies and more near future gov't conspiracy. It's interesting.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Right now I'm halfway through Drood by Dan Simmons. It's about the last five years of Charles Dickens' life through memoirs of his good friend Wilkie Collins.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A couple hours into The Ugliest of Things by Robert Kuntz.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

George Orwell "1984"

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just started "De Bello Gallico"/"Commentaries of the Gallic Wars" by Julius Ceasar in the original Latin.......problem is I dont know any Latin... This might take awhile

"Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unum incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appelantur".

I think I have the first sentence figured out; "Gaul is divided overall into 3 parts, the first inhabited by Belgians, another by the Aquitani, and third those who speak Celtic, who our men call Gauls."

Any Latin speakers out there ?
    Its actually pretty fascinating... problem is it takes me an hour to read a few sentences and then I'm not always sure I get the drift of whats being said. "Nostra Galli appalentur" I thought at first meant "the gauls who our men attack". This Latin stuff is tricky, lots of meanings for one word.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. mikemacrdlnds

mikemacrdlnds

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"The French Foreign Legion" by Douglas Porch.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. mikemacrdlnds

mikemacrdlnds

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"The French Foreign Legion" by Douglas Porch.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. rickpal14

rickpal14

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein

Proud Member of the BlackBlood Society...........
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just finishing up Among the Living by Timothy Long, zombie fiction and have several anthologies of 50's pulp science fiction I am going thru. That is the one nice thing about an e-reader, you can get anthologies pretty cheap. I'm also occasionally reading HP Lovecraft.

I normally read WW2 history but the above is pretty mindless reading, which is nice to unwind after a tedious day at work. That and a pipe.

Mike

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"The Man in the Glass Booth" by Robert Shaw.

Shaw was a wonderful under the radar writer but is best remembered as Captain Quint in "Jaws." However, I will always remember him as the greatest actor in the English speaking world for his performances in "A Man for All Seasons," "Young Winston," - (nobody ate better than Shaw on screen. Watching him have breakfast with Simon Ward was astonishing) - "From Russia With Love" and as the heaviest of heavies in the original "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three."

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. checotah

checotah

Login to Send PM

About to start the final book in Stephen Donaldson's epic Chronicles of Thomas Covenant: Against All Things Ending. Would love to see the series made into a movie starring Hugh Laurie as Thomas Covenant...

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. checotah

checotah

Login to Send PM

@rickpal14 Great book by one of the legends of SF! Two of my favorites of his are Stranger In A Strange Land and Door Into Summer. Read both when I was in high school (he was still alive at the time, as were most of the dinosaurs}, and they remain favorites today....some 50 years later!

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. trevert

Trever Talbert

Login to Send PM

I just made the horrible mistake of reading "The Forest of Hands and Teeth", partly because it sounded like a very original horror novel idea ("The Village" meets "Night of the Living Dead") and partly because it has one of the best and most evocative titles I've ever found. It was very well written but I hated every character, and came away thinking I am entirely too middle-aged and too male for the intended audience of this book. The lead character was like Ally McBeal dropped into zombieland, and spent the ENTIRE book obsessing about her personal life and her relationships and whether she was going to get the guy she wanted or not, and being incredibly self-centered and selfish, even when her village was under attack and everyone she had ever known or (in theory) cared about as being devoured by undead.

Unless the intention was to make the reader desperate to see the lead character become zombie chow by the end, it was clearly not a book written to appeal to anyone who isn't a teenage girl.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. machurtado

machurtado

Login to Send PM

I'm in the middle of the Vampire Chronicles as of right now but just finished the Song of Fire and Ice series.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. mountainman

mountainman

Login to Send PM

Lord of Bows. It is a Ghengis Khan historical fiction.

@checotah. Interesting that you area reading the Thomas Covenant series. I read the first two trilogies, and the first book of the final. I haven't gone back to it since, so maybe it is getting close to time!

Proud member of the Blackblood Society.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

bukowski

Login to Send PM

CHARLES BUKOWSKI. HAM ON RYE. A coming-of-age story that has a lot more going for it that CATCHER IN THE RYE.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. pens87

pens87

Login to Send PM

The Spirit Well by Stephen R Lawhead

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. mikemacrdlnds

mikemacrdlnds

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rex Stouts Nero Wolfe, Too Many Clients

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. plet

plet

Login to Send PM

Ian Fleming's "James Bond" (The collection)

Next will be "Sherlock Holmes" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, again the collection.

I have a weak spot for Billard-, Canadian-, Liverpol- and Poker-style pipes from Comoy and Dunhill...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

mb1mb

Login to Send PM

Just started Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, by Susanna Clark. I quite like it, so far. It's the sort of read you can't put down. Light a bowl, cup of tea... And it's hours later. I hope you seek out this book. And, if you do, that you enjoy it as much as I am.

Copied from inside dust jacket...
    " The year is 1806. England is beleaguered by the war with Napoleon, and it is hundreds of years since practical magic faded into the nation's past. But scholars of this glorious history suddenly discover that one practicing magician still remains: the reclusive Mr. Norrell of Hurtfew Abbey. Challenged to demonstrate his powers, Norrell causes the statues of York Cathedral to speak and sing, and sends a thrill through the country. The magician proceeds to London , trailed by excited rumors, where he raises a beautiful young woman from the dead and finally enters the war, summoning an army of ghostly ships to terrify the French.
    Yet Norrell is soon challenged by the emergence of another magician: the brilliant novice Jonathan Strange. Young, handsome, and daring, Strange is the opposite of the cautious, fussy Norrell. Still, Norrell agrees to take Strange as a pupil, and the young magician joins England's cause, enduring the rigors of Wellington's campaign in Portugal to lend the army his supernatural skill on the battlefield.
    But as Strange's powers grow, so do his ambitions. He becomes obsessed with the founder of English magic, a shadowy twelfth-century figure known as the Raven King. In his increasingly reckless pursuit of the wildest, most perilous forms of magic, Strange risks sacrificing mot only his partnership with Norrell, but everything else that He holds dear."

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

bcirka

Login to Send PM

The "Elements of Philosophy", a broad, but dense survey of the various sciences within philosophy. Light reading, no?

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. mikemacrdlnds

mikemacrdlnds

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stephen Ambrose, "Undaunted Courage". the story of the expedition of Lewis and Clark.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. tjameson

tjameson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just finished an anthology of Tomas Transtromer. Not sure what I'll read next.

BLACKBLOODs for life...just please keep making Black House!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  34. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Im actually flip flopping between 2 books (both of which I have read a couple of times before)

1; Food of the Gods... by Terence McKenna
    2; Fingerprints of the Gods... by Graham Hancock

Both fantastic books and highly recommended

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  35. sjpipesmoker

sjpipesmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This forum...

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. timely

timely

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just finished No Blade Of Grass by John Christopher an oldie doomer type, but very good.
    Just started Founders by James Wesley Rawles, a new doomer

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. politicalmonster

politicalmonster

Login to Send PM

"On Writing" By Stephen King, while working on my own SF novel. Hope to have it available on Amazon in about 6 months.
    -PM

A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.
    -Thomas Paine
    http://erinmcdowell.blogspot.com/
    Posted 2 years ago #
  38. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

All of R.A Salvatores books based on the Character Drizzt. If you love Tolkien then you will love Salvatore as. Well. Great reads.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. radio807

radio807

Login to Send PM

"Freedom Betrayed: Herbert Hoover's Secret History of the Second World War and Its Aftermath"

Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  40. bdstansel

bdstansel

Login to Send PM

No Easy Day...

Got an email at work about this containing Classified Info. Whoops, I guess ol boy didn't clear it through Public Affairs office prior publishing it. I'm sure several are unhappy about the way he handled this one.

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. docrx

docrx

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One Way Out:An oral history of The Allman Brothers Band by Alan Paul

It is impossible to tickle yourself
    Posted 2 years ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

vabriar

Login to Send PM

current

Canoe Trip: Alone in the Maine Wilderness by David Curran /good so far

recent

Standing in a River Waiving a Stick by John Gierach /good

Point to Point Exploring the Inside Passage By Kayak by Denis Dwyer /ok

The Things You Find on the Appalachian Trail by Kevin Runolfson / very good

Skywalker- Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Walker /great

AWOL ont the Appalachian Trail by David Miller /great

Ever since I got my Kindle for fathers day Ive been on a roll. And yes I had a little obsession with learning about the Appalachian Trail

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. orionpyoung

orionpyoung

Login to Send PM

The Hobbit by Tolkien
    “After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more."

I like how light and carefree the overall ambiance of the "adventure" is. This quote pops into my head every time I think about smoking when I'm at work.

"A Dutchman without a pipe is a national impossibility. If a Dutchman were deprived of his pipe and tobacco, he would not even enter Paradise with a glad heart."

-Schotel
    Posted 2 years ago #
  44. mikemacrdlnds

mikemacrdlnds

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Martin Windrow, "The Last Valley", the French Defeat at Dien Bien Bhu.

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Three fourths of the way through Daniel Dafoe's, "Robinson Crusoe" and I'm astonished by it's political incorrectness, spirituality and God-awful 1700's prose. But, like Melville's "Moby Dick," if you can get through the first 300 pages then you've got a pretty good read on your hands.

@Bukowski - Seriously, man? Chuck Bukowski?

I've never understood this tortured artist shit that reality can't be embraced without turning your liver into a piece of granite or sliding through life unless spikes of Mexican brown heroin are hanging out of your forearms.

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. corncobguy

corncobguy

Login to Send PM

new to the forum but i will always post what im reading, right now im reading treasure island and when im done i will be reading long dark tea time for the soul. i love douglas adams and all the crazy writing that he did.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Cardinal, saw the movie a long time ago, Lawrence on this forum brought it up, glad he did. The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Taking a break from reading, burned out on books for now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. chops

chops

Login to Send PM

Just finished "It's Even Worse Than It Looks" by Mann/Ornstein - I highly recommend it to all US citizens. Also just finished "Hope, Human & Wild" by Bill McKibben.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. thrax

thrax

Login to Send PM

A couple of days ago I'm sitting on a gas line and I had this paperback called Absolute Power by David Baldacci. I don't usually read these kinds of books ( I like think I read more "heady" stuff). Well a few pages into this book and I'm hooked. Political intrigue, sex, cops, burglars, etc. I can't put this book down. I need to be less of a snob in my reading literature. The other thing I'm reading is Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson. 800+ pages of words.....all small print. Its fiction about the Age of Enlightenment and what might have been involved in all the scientific discoveries of the time. Stephenson is a masterful writer. Baldacci is like a good McDonald hamburger (quick food but good) and Stephenson is a 5 course meal.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

cjdincus

Login to Send PM

I am currently reading The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Along with Tolkien, Robert Jordan was another influence in getting me to finally pick up the pipe and start puffing away.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

I'm a Book Worm. I always have been. Currently, I am reading several books all at once. I am part of the way through: "Say Everything How blogging began, what it's becoming and why it matters", "The Perfect Smoke: Gourmet Pipe Smoking for Relaxation and Reflection", "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion", "Words That Work: It's Not What You Say, It's What People Hear", and I have 4 more queued up after these.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 1 year ago #
  53. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Currently I'm about 250pgs into Dance With Dragons. This one is definitely better to me than book four Feast For Crows, mainly because my favorite characters are in this one and weren't in FFC.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. mikemacrdlnds

mikemacrdlnds

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agatha Christies Hercule Poirot "Murder in Retrospect"

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergent_(novel)

Just finished divergent and now I am working on book #2 insurgent. If you like the huger games give this a shot.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. lasttango

lasttango

Login to Send PM

Foccault's History of Madness... unabridged... and Tocqueville's Democracy in America

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. lyle

lyle

Login to Send PM

"Winesburg, Ohio" by Sherwood Anderson. It was recommended to me as an American analog of James Joyce's "Dubliners." A lofty expectation, for sure, but so far living up to it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. smokeystover

smokeystover

Login to Send PM

"Red Phoenix Rising" The Soviet Air Force in World War II

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. garyovich

garyovich

Login to Send PM

"A History of Russia" by Nicholas V. Riasanovsky

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

House of Silk was good enough to keep me reading Sherlock Holmes ... I'm on "Dust and Shadow" by Lyndsay Faye

“ Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they please. ”
    — Pythagoras
    Posted 1 year ago #
  61. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Re-reading "The Hobbit", in a recently updated form from Barnes and Noble. I did not realize that Tolkien had changed it from the original work to match up with the Lord of the Rings. Apparently, his heirs are continuing the tradition.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. yaboofive

Richard Gonzalez

Login to Send PM

I am currently reading The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York. So far its a great read.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. sergemoat

sergemoat

Login to Send PM

Just finished Gary Schrier's Confessions of a Pipeman, and starting Schrier's History of the Calabash Pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. hfearly

hfearly

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Currently reading through the "Wheel of Time" series, which by the way contains a TON of references to pipe smoking and tobacco. I swear, I can't turn more than 5 pages before the evil authors mentions one of the protagonists thumbing Two Rivers tobacco in their long-stemmed pipes and puffing away happily. Guess what I want to do immediately when I read this ....

Suffering from a serious case of "EPARD", also known as the Estate Pipe Acquisition and Restoration Disorder.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  65. lafraas

lafraas

Login to Send PM

Just finished Dietrich Bonhoeffer's "Letters & Papers from Prison." I didn't really find the expanded version to be that interesting with its ongoing prattle about family events. I am not convinced by the totality of his argument that God has abandoned the world hence 'evil' prevails. And, I found his brand of piety bordering on fanaticism. On a whole, some very interesting points and highlights buried in a lot of nothingness. I was a bit disappointed.

Tonight, I am starting Homer's "The Illiad". Hopefully, I'll learn more about the classical views of courage, honor and ambition. I am wondering how polytheism will play into the fates of men. I know the gods use mankind as pawns, proxies, and agents. It will be a good read.

I'm also looking for examples of personal transformation though the use of ritual space, sounds, and actions. I'm not sure I'll find any....; but, I always enjoy the quest. Sometimes, the smallest details matter greatly.

I am always open to suggestions future readings if anybody has any suggestions.

Many thanks,
    Laf Raas
    Arabic - "head spin"

When love grows cool, thy fire still warms me; when friends are fled, thy presence charms me.
    If thou art full, though purse be bare, I smoke, and cast away all care!
    ---German Drinking Song---
    Posted 1 year ago #
  66. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Back issues of "Rockets" magazines

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. undermidnight

undermidnight

Login to Send PM

Currently have multiple books in mid read:

- "The Dragon Reborn" by Robert Jordan
    - "Inside the Third Reich" by Albert Speer
    - "This is Berlin" by William L. Shirer
    - "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash" by Jean Shepherd
    - Struggling through German Folk tales in German

"The cosmos is also within us. We're made of star-stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  68. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am reading through Jeremiah (Old Testament) and Luke (New Testament). I am also reading Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer and Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat by John Vigor. O.K., I'm retired!

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  69. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Last Of The Breed by Louie Lamour. The old cajun

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just finished The Last Man by Vince Flynn. Staring Atlas Shrugged (4th time).

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   misterlowercase, bigjoe, johnnyreb, irish, daimyo, fishfly, rsuninv, jrtaster, texmexpipe, owen, jiminks, yaboofive, philobeddoe, tbradsim1, wyfbane, northernneil, xrundog, pnasmith, jarit, 4noggins, indianafrank, sparks, fishnbanjo, werebear