Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:   

What are You Reading?

(127 posts)
  1. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Kind of silly to have two identical threads on the front page..sure a mod cannot condense the two down to one, or close one?

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. cezario

cezario

Login to Send PM

" My Early Life: 1874-1904" , Winston S. Churchill ( Touchstone, 1996).

Cezario
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Login to Send PM

I'm working my way through a collection of H.P. Lovecraft stories.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Still no mods around?

Well, if we are to have two identical threads going on, I'll be a post whore, I'm reading a self study guide to take the Technicians Exam for Ham Radio.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. atboth

atboth

Login to Send PM

Currently reading Ranma ½ in the Chinese translation from the early nineties, hand in hand with the Chinese-English Dictionary by Chik Hon-Man and Ng Lam Sim-yuk published the Chinese University Press (Chinese University of Hong Kong). Up to volume seven. The zaniness mounts.

[Note: the Chinese translation was done years before the English translation. I've got the entire set in Chinese, but only a dozen volumes in English.]

When I can't fall asleep late at night I grab at random under or next to the bed, usually fishing-up a cookbook or a dictionary. That's always good for a few hours.

-----ATBOTH
    Boring wafflegab about tobacco.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Flags of the Forgotten: Nationalism on the Celtic Fringe", by William Greenberg. Interesting slim volume on the growth of nationalism in the Celtic lands of the UK. It covers mostly Scotland and Wales,although there are chapters on Man and Cornwall as well.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"The Most Haunted House In England" by Harry Price.

Matt.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. seaninkitale

seaninkitale

Login to Send PM

I am currently reading "From Eternity to Here" by Frank Viola, Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina" (having a slow go with this one), and Francis Chan's "Crazy Love". Not sure which classic book I will do next, but thinking about a Holmes book that I can smoke a few bowls of Sherlock while reading.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Winner Take All: A History of the Trans-Canada Canoe Trail," by David Lavender; and "Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War," by Mark Bowden (love the movie, by the way. It should be required viewing/reading for anyone advocating military intervention by America in conflicts we don't understand and can't solve).

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. hunter

hunter

Login to Send PM

I just finished A Memory of Light, hell of a book that ends a hell of a series. Fantasy isn't for everyone but for those that love it, The Wheel of Time is 14 books and a novella you want to look into.

I will finish up Liberating Atlantis and Stranger in a Strange Land most likely... them maybe move onto Why I hate Canadians by Will Ferguson or reread Dune.

“My pipe is out, my glass is dry; My fire is almost ashes too; But once again, before you go, And I prepare to meet the New : Old Year! a parting word that's true, For we've been comrades, you and I - I thank God for each day of you; There! bless yo”
    - Robert Service
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Reading back issues of Scientific America articles on bio-chemistry and genetics so I can hold a conversation with my daughter.

Craig

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. Most of you guys are reading some heady stuff. I'm just going back through my Louis L'Amour collection, pure escapist reading with a moral compass contained inside. After that, I'll probably pick something equally as useless but enjoyable, maybe some Dean Koontz or whatever my hands happen to get to first that sounds good.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Empire of The Summer Moon, history of the American Indian the good and the bad, very interesting. The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A Distant Mirror. A history of the 14th century, seen through the lens of a French noble family, by Barbara Tuchman. I am a shameless history nerd.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A Distant Mirror. A history of the 14th century, seen through the lens of a French noble family, by Barbara Tuchman. I am a shameless history nerd.

I've got that, I guess I should read it, as I'm somewhat of a history nut myself.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike, if you like medieval history, another good one is A World Lit Only by Fire, by William Manchester. That was my other Xmas book.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. brazz

brazz

Login to Send PM

I was so upset with what kids are calling Vampires these days...they can eat garlic,walk around in the daylight, mirrrors reflect them. WHAT THE HE-- ! So i'm rereading Bram Stokers Dracula.Thank goodness all is right w/ the underworld. Great historical fiction.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am a big William Manchester fan. Loved "The Arms of Krupp," his two volumes on Winston Churchill and his memoir of World War II in the Pacific, "Goodbye Darkness."

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brazz, check out "The Historian" by Elizabth Kostova. You will LOVE it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Re-reading The Hobbit to refresh my memory, then I'll move on to dredging up some old Zelazney.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. brazz

brazz

Login to Send PM

Thanks sothron I'm on the last chapter of Drac. So I'll check out "The Historian" right away thanks for the tip.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. cezario

cezario

Login to Send PM

".22 Caliber Rifle Shooting" by Judge Charles S. Landis , ( Palladium Press, Birminghan , AL, 1999).

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

10grant

Login to Send PM

I am reading "Blue moon rising" from my favorite author Simon R. Green.
    Great if you like fantasy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. 4dotsasieni

4dotsasieni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm currently reading "The Sherlock Holmes Adventure" by Regis McCafferty, short stories about a consulting detective in Victorian England who used to be one of the "Baker Street Irregulars."

Lots of typos, overdone Scots dialects, but LOTS of pipes and tobacco references. You GOTTA love a detective who's a Peterson nut!

All in all, very enjoyable light reading.

"Thus shall you view these fleeting worlds: As bubbles in the stream;
    A lightning flash, a puff of smoke, a phantom, and a pipe dream."
    - The Diamond Sutra (slightly edited for pipe smokers)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

I'm about half way through The Dragon Factory (2010) by Jonathan Maberry.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

punkrockarmy

Login to Send PM

For the sixth time, I'm re-reading the entire 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series by George R. R. Martin. I am currently on the second book of the series called 'A Clash of Kings.' I highly recommend the series if you haven't already read it. I also recommend watching the HBO original series Game of Thrones which is based on the novels.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'll have to give that Mayberry novel a shot, his last one was pretty good.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fly-Fishing Guide to the Henry's Fork: Hatches, Flies, Seasons & Guide Advice for 80 Miles of World-Class Water... by Mike Lawson

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The First Four Notes: Beethoven's Fifth and the Human Imagination by Matthew Guerrieri.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of
    anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
    nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. hodirty

hodirty

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rereading lord of the rings. Im a slow reader myself. But plan on reding a few classics this year.

The world we have created is a product of our thinking; it cannot be changed without changing our thinking.
    ~Albert Einstein
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Reading the study guide for the General HAM test coming up on March 9th

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dracula's Guest & Other Tales of Horror by Bram Sotker.
    The title short story, recommended by my Son-in-law.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Guns, Germs and Steel," by Jared Diamond.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

"Back from the Ashes" by K.A. Worth, granddaughter of G.L. Hunt, the marketing genius who succeeded in selling millions of Falcon pipes in the U.S. and then abroad (especially in England). The book is relatively short, not overly professional in writing style, but contains very interesting material on the stages of development of my favorite type of pipe.

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

#1 on Back to Ashes, reading it on my Kindle Fire. The old cajun

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

The Third Bullet via Kindle, thanks Oldcajun, an excellent read so far!

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

just got my copy of " American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History"

can't wait to get started on it. Sad that Chris Kyle was recently killed by a person he was trying to help.

Kent

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Currently reading the A+ Certification Study Guide (should finish today, then it's on to the practice exams...). For more relaxing reading, I've got Edward Said's "Orientalism". Will be borrowing Gail Carriger's "Etiquette and Espionage" from my spouse this weekend for light reading.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. 4dotsasieni

4dotsasieni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe it's because I took up pipe smoking again, but for some reason I'm suddenly on a Sherlock Holmes kick. I took down my old volume of the complete stories, and re-read all the way through, from "A Study in Scarlet" to "The Adventure of the Retired Colourman."

Still not enough, so I re-read the three Nicholas Myers books, and, still not satiated read "New Sherlock Holmes Adventures" (now re-titled "The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures") -- highly recommended: very well written adventures by various authors, almost indistinguishable from the original Doyle (Watson) tales.

And, worried I'd run out of new adventures, I've just ordered two books: "The Secret Notebooks of Sherlock Holmes" and "The House of Silk."

There's lots of new Holmes stuff available on Amazon, but do read the reviews, as apparently not all are written up to the standard of the master himself.

Speaking of whom, did you know that Arthur Conan Doyle is widely believed to be responsible for the Piltdown Man hoax? Seems he was mad at the scientific establishment for not believing his psychic experiments to be valid, so he set out to get even. That would make for a great Holmes case, too!

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Back at the helm - sailing the Yaghan to Antarctica, Patagonia and the South Pacific by Arne and Helene Martensson

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  42. pipesicle

pipesicle

Login to Send PM

If you have never read anything by Vince Flynn, I would recommend "American Assaasin". These are great books, along the lines of The Bourne Novels. Exciting but set in modern day. Great reads or listening to in the car.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. tombraider

tombraider

Login to Send PM

At the moment, "Atlas Shrugged". Next up is something light. Maybe a Dick Francis book.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. englishdave

englishdave

Login to Send PM

The Lord of the Rings, Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Gatekeepers #1: Raven's Gate by Anthony Horowitz

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote]If you have never read anything by Vince Flynn, I would recommend "American Assaasin". These are great books, along the lines of The Bourne Novels. Exciting but set in modern day. Great reads or listening to in the car.
    Try Brad Thor too. He and Vince are alot alike. Once I start I get through it quick because I can't put it down. Right now I'm reading Chesty by John T. Hoffman.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm not reading anything currently, but I recently read Back From "The Ashes: Uncovering the Lost History of G.L. Hunt and Falcon Pipe". As the title suggests, it's about Falcons.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Copper River by Walt Kruger c, series about Cork O Conner sheriff small town, part Indian, good read. The old cajun

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Just finished "Argo", a pretty good read. I wanted to read it before watching the movie (when it comes out on DVD..). The author, Tony Mendez, retired from the CIA to our little town. I hope the movie is as good as the book.

Currently reading "Thread Vector" a Tom Clancy collaboration.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al my son and I went to see Argo and it is a good movie, we also saw Lincoln, slow, not factual feel good stuff , Hollywood crap. The old cajun

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Seems we have similar tastes Bradley, so I'll look forward to seeing the movie.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. docrx

docrx

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Raquela A Woman Of Israel by Ruth Gruber

It is impossible to tickle yourself
    Posted 1 year ago #
  53. joeahearn

joeahearn

Login to Send PM

Just finished reading ed Sander's book, The Family, which is about Charlie Manson and the Tate-LaBianca murders. Manson and crew were even crazier than I thought they were.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture' by Bart Ehrman.

Russ
    Pipe smoking is true relaxation. Everything else is work.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  55. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

Just finished "The Book Thief" and I'm starting "Inferno:The World at War, 1939-1945." by Max Hastings.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just started "Understanding Power" from Noam Chomsky. Nothing like a little light reading before bed

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 1 year ago #
  57. cajunguy

Cajunguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just got finished re-reading "The Great God Pan," a novella by Arthur Machen. At my age, not many books give me the willies; this one has its moments. This story gave Lovecraft the creeps, so HP fans, you might want to check this one out.

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black." - Nigel Tufnel, Spinal Tap
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   hawke, necron99, anthonyrosenthal74, adam12, conlejm, tbradsim1, renfield, curl, wcannoy, instymp, rsuninv, cigrmaster, sparks, derfargin, derfatdutchman, pruss, philobeddoe, crazyhog, hiplainsdrifter, daimyo, andy, prndl, ruscho, rockymtnsmoker, dmcmtk, olewaylon, simnettpratt, antbauers, puffy, settersbrace, jd11