PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinedu

Lurker
Aug 9, 2013
Hello,
I am a collector of pipes. And start learning. Can someone tell me what the best 10 pipes ever are?
Thanks.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
wally frank, dr. grabow, yello bole, pressed meerschaum, yorkshire. Interesting question for someone who collects pipes, you should know already that there will be 11 differnt answers from each piper.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
That's like asking what the ten best religions in the world are.

Or like asking who's the best President of all time is.

Everyone will have a different answer.
Shutterbug

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Oh ya, Roth, totally leave out Sixten Ivarsson. That ain't on your list! :rofl:
The OP sounds bogus to me. How can one claim to be a collector and have no idea of the range and domain of the hobby?

Supposedly been pipe smoking since 1958?! I think something is being left out of this conversation.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Let's see, the ten best pipes I ever had were:
Dr. Grabow Viscount Author,

Peterson Emerald 264 Canadian

Edwards Skylark bent egg

Nording Freehand from the 80's

A Missourri Meerchaum bent bulldog that I gave away,

My Sam Martin with carved oak leaves from 1986,

A Randy Wiley Unique,

A Peterson Irish Harp bent bulldog that my daughter gave me,

The Dunhill Shell billiard that I got for $37.00

And the Stanwell bamboo billiard that I am smoking now.
But I guess that isn't the answer this poster wants, lol. That's my story, and I am sticking to it.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
As others have said, the most expensive pipes will be from the Danish masters, Bo Nordh, Sixten Ivarrson, Lars Ivarrson, Jess Chonowitch, Teddy Knudsen, Anne Julie etc.. Some of the most collectible pipes will come from two companies though, Dunhill and Castello, both of these companies produce top shelf pipes and have a range of prices, from only expensive to truly ludicrous. As far as the best smoking pipes, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole, too many personal opinions.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
This is an impossible question to answer; like asking who is the best artist, writer. musician, etc.
Everybody has a different opinion and there is no "correct" answer.
Chinedu, how long have you been a collector and what pipes do you have in your collection?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Best to whom? There are thousands of magnificent hand-made pipes at the high end of the spectrum, in

the $1K price range and above, and it would be quite a discussion to decide which of those are "best."

If you define "best" as bringing the joys of pipe smoking to the greatest numbers of pipe smokers, then

you get into the Missouri Meerschaum, Dr. Grabow, Petersons, Savenellis, old time Dunhills before they

became extremely expensive, Chacoms, Stanwells, and go on from there with about one hundred and

fifty other name brands. To me, the best pipe is the one the fires right up and gives me the long, enjoyable

smoke I'm craving. That's the best pipe in the history of the world.

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
The Ashton I'm smoking right now is awesome. Beyond that, it depends on the day and the blend :D

chinedu

Lurker
Aug 9, 2013
Thank you all for your reply. Just want some ideas about pipes. People will have different answers to this question? Oh, it is just my intention to have different opinions.

Aug 21, 2011
For me personally:

Parker Jockey straight, MM Corn cob, Bradberry full bent, Dr. Grabow (various), Stanwell, Mr. Brog, No name basket pipes from various tobacconists, Fischer's of Orchard Park, NY, Kaywoodie, Medico briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.