What Are the Benefits to a Bulldog Shape?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Kind of a curve ball here, but there are a few pipes I'm looking at that have a definite 'bulldog-esque' style to them, namely a flat, wide bowl that isn't very deep.
Are there any benefits to this shape? Does the wider bowl impart flavours better?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"Does the wider bowl impart flavours better?"
That probably depends entirely on the tobacco, but they look sexy and feel great in the hand, so that's a plus.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
It is my understanding, based on asking lots of questions, that the bulldog was originally easy to make by machine in the factory. Think early French and English factories. From there it became more of a niche in the artisan world and a way to add a bead line that demarcated grain at the base of the bowl from that at the top. But these are just observations I’ve picked up.

Jul 15, 2011
I've always been a fan of form that follows function, and since the bulldog shape burns anything you put in it remarkably well, I can say I'm a big fan. I have a few of them and none of them are bad in any way.

Jan 8, 2013
Does the wider bowl impart flavours better?
I don't believe the size or shape of a bowl has anything to do with improving how a blend burns or tastes. I do strongly believe, however, that the size of the tobacco chamber within that bowl does indeed.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm not a huge fan of the bulldog shape aesthetically but I am a fan of how nicely that shape smokes Virginia Flake. I lean a bit more to the similar Rhodesian shape that I like more aesthetically but still maintains the thick bowl that delivers a cool smoke.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Shapes can look good or bad depending on face shape. A round face can make a bulldog look very good and, vice versa. "Der Bingle" knew a Canadian and other small bowl, straight bits looked good with is face. Of course all of that is only for those who are concerned with appearance. But, some smokers do check out appearances, it's why my tobacconist kept a mirror behind the tobacco bar.

Reactions: TheWhale13

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
English blends seem to smoke better in square-ish bowls. Unfortunately, the site which contained an analysis of the thermodynamics of pipe smoking is gone from the Web. I have a copy on my 'puter, though; feel free to PM me your E-mail and I can send it to you.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Never cared for bulldogs and really haven't noticed a difference in chamber shapes as to how they smoke. One tobacco tastes the same to me in any pipe. I say if you see a pipe that speaks to you, grab it!

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
I personally love the bulldog shape. The first one I bought was an Ashton, and I happen to be smoking it right now. I love it and have no complaints. Good draw, a good clencher if a tad heavy, and I am smoking a rubbed out HH Burley FLake and it is pure bliss.....but I may be a bit biased, as I said, I like them regardless.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
For me I like Bulldogs because they feel good in the hand. I like panels for the same reason. Angular stem or bowl seem to just fit? Just a personal preference because it feels right. All of mine seem to smoke well also so, yeah. I have a few of each.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I only own one bulldog, a half bent, courtesy of fellow pipe smoker Ashdigger. One of my personal favorites, especially for reading. Good clencher, reliable smoker, I only wish I could find more of these pipes.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I'm not sure why I like them. I have a traditional bent, and a few rhodesians. At first it was tradition, then I found some more modern takes. I started feeling that my thick walled pipes just seemed to be becoming my favorite smokers for reasons I cannot pinpoint. They smoke cool, they're very cool to the touch, barely warm at the end of a full smoke. But I don't think I would say that they taste any different.
ZArmL6B.jpg

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I’ve seen a bunch of vintage pipe and tobacco related ads that show the bulldog as a sportsman’s pipe. It could just be that the angular, squat design has a masculine affectation but the saddle bit, and robustness would seem to make for a sturdy pipe for the purpose. Today, bulldogs come in all sizes so I think it’s harder to generalize much benefit. The few bulldogs I have are smallish pipes with saddle bits and balance better than the rest for an easy clench on the go.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Bulldog, bulldog, bow-wow-wow. Borrowing from a Yale song.
It virtually barks its masculinity above all others. My most feminine pipe is named after a son of a monarch.

Status
Not open for further replies.