What are some good beginner tobacco blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
Depends on what you like. I've only been smoking for a couple months myself.

Pick up some Lane 1Q. That will give you something to taste. I like English and Virginia blends. Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, or C&D Autumn Evening are both strong smokey flavors (for me)
Virginia blends such as: PS Luxury Twist Flake or MB Virginia #1 are sweet, clean flavors with a hint of citrus (for me)
It really all depends on what you like. If you like Aros, find the flavors you like. Everything from chocolate, to pie, to cherry and apple.

If you like VA or VaPer blends, you can explore those for years and always find something new. (my current quest)

If you like English, there are a tonne of those out there as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pipesandcigars Midtown series. Try the blends in pouches and then buy tubs of your favorites. These tend to be better than the older brands they match, but eight or ten dollars less per tub. There's even one non-aromatic, Chestnut.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
The only way to know what you like is to smoke a variety. Blends featuring Latakia (called English and/or Balkan) are probably the easiest non-aromatics to get flavor from right away. Quality aromatics can be a wonderful introduction as well. If you know you like vanilla as a flavor pick up a good vanilla blend and you should have a good time. All varieties have their pleasures. Are you looking for any particular type of experience?

Jun 4, 2014
Welcome to the forum. Along with the ones that everyone has mentioned I throw in is Carter Hall. You can find it in most supermarkets, drug stores and other places pretty easily. The other item I would suggest you to pick up is a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe.

lvs13

Lurker
Jun 28, 2016
Very easy to smoke and keep lit with no bite and almost no actual tobacco taste and nicely priced, Ole Shenandoah Bootlegged, Ole Shenandoah Appalachian Berry.
The always recommended for new smokers, Lane 1Q.
Pipeworks & Wilke has very good aromatic blends.
Amphora Full Red if you want a bit of the tobacco to start to shine through, and Amphora Black Cavendish, for bit less tobacco taste than Full Red but less sweet than some other aros.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Aromatics, despite their popularity in sales, are not great beginner smokes, though of course, YMMV. What the other guys wrote....

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Since you are a beginner and don't have a grasp of the different tobacco categories, I will recommend the following.
For an aromatic... Cult Blood Red Moon and Sutliff Molto Dolce
For a Virginia/Perique... Escudo and GL Pease Haddo's Delight
For a Virginia.... Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake and McClelland 5100 Red Cake
For a Virginia/Burley/Kentucky.... Mac Baren Old Dark Fired and Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
For a aromatic flake.... Mac Baren Modern Virginia Flake and Peterson University Flake
All of these suggestions are easy to find at one of our fine sponsors. I always take into account availability when recommending a blend. No sense in recommending Stonehaven when no one can find the thing.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Aromatic blends:

MacBaren's Vanilla Cream Flake or Loose Cut

C&D's Autumn Evening

Lane Limited aromatics

SWR Aromatic

Boswell's Pennsylvania Dutch Treat

Boswell's Berry Cobbler

Boswell's Christmas Cookie

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Absolutely without question Lane Ltd BCA. This is a coarse-cut vanilla-flavored black cavendish which has been sold under many other names at B&M tobacco stores for years and years. It smokes as dry as an aromatic can, is forgiving of packing technique, will not bite if puffed too fast, and will not ghost a pipe. Also makes a great mixer. Buy 8 oz of it, smoke it straight, and as you run through tins of other blends you don't like, drop in a teaspoon of BCA and you won't need to flush the rest down the toilet. Well, except a Lakeland.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I would recommend Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture, any East India Trading Company blends to start. OR just select 1oz sample from Pipes and Cigar or try one of their sample bundles, experiment and find out what suits your taste.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
There is a school of thought that says "stronger" blends are better for a new smoker.
The reason is that a fuller blend can help you learn to smoke slowly. A lighter blend can encourage over puffing leading to a hot and bitting smoke.
With that in mind... Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired.

andy

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
Can't go past Frog Morten on the Town - when I started I wish i had gotten onto it sooner; and every new guy i have introduced it to loves it. Cool burning, flavourful, pleasant room note. What more could a man want!!!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If you're a smoker already, say, cigs or cigars, I'd say to start off with one of the following and stay with it until you find its 'sweet spot'.

Sir Walter Raleigh

Prince Albert

Carter Hall

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
McClelland bulk 2045 is an excellent blend for the newer smoker IMHO. Just a bit of Latakia, orientals and pretty darned good Virginias. Somewhat aromatic (a woman once told me the smoked aroma was similar to peanut butter). It isn't expensive and is better fresh than it is aged.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.