PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I'm rather new to pipe smoking. Every so often I read about a Lakeland blend or see it talked about in terms of a style. I'd love some insite into this. Thanks!

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks for the help! I'm not too sure I want something that taste like soap, but I think I may try it sometime. I'm always game to try something once. Any suggestions as to a good starting place?

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I love lakelands and smoke them regularly.
I would suggest gawith and Hoggarth rum flake or Kendal flake. They are a very old Fashioned style of pipe tobacco made in the Lakeland district of England. I feel lucky to have them still available.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lakeland tobaccos are often mentioned for "ghosting" pipes, which is leaving behind their flavor in a persistent way

that makes every other blend smoked in the pipe taste odd, and this supposedly doesn't fade for a long, long time.

Hence, people who enjoy Lakeland blends designate specific pipes for smoking them. I think the flake version is

supposed to not have this characteristic and is therefore preferred by some people as the only Lakeland blend they'll

smoke. As a footnote, Lakeland refers to what is more usually known as the Lake District, which is in Northwest

England and is known for its many scenic lakes, its heavy rainfall, its fabulous greenery, and it many well-used

hiking trails (everyone packs a rain slicker). It is among the most beautiful parts of England, and if you hike there,

you meet a lot of free roaming sheep herds that are somehow tracked and sheared regularly by their owners. There

is a lot of history there. The poet William Wordsworth, a sister, his wife, and his friend Coleridge were a sort of set

that lived there and wrote about the area. In the summer, the sun doesn't set until about ten o'clock at night, when

there are often mists, and the old timers stroll around looking a bit like ghosts themselves.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks for the warning about ghosting I'll be sure to use a cob when I try

Mar 1, 2014
-ae1pt
Not too far from the truth. Stuff like geranium oil, Perique that something went wrong with, and tonquin. Ennerdale is probably the worst of it.
I know this may be a bit shocking, but, I actually liked Ennerdale. Grousemoor was over the top.
Maybe it depends on the batch you get.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
As I understand it English purity laws banned the use of flavorings in tobacco in the 19th century. But some floral extracts and alcohol where permitted.
I like lakelands and wonder if its a question of where ones palate grows up :)
Bosoun Plug by Gwaith Hoggarth is a particular favorite, delicious chocolate rose flavor and a good strong smoke. Condor Plug is also excellent.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I love the Lakeland blends although I dislike most other aromatics, so please do not be scared off by the naysayers without trying them first. Britain's two biggest selling blends, Condor and St. Bruno, use the same types of flavoring as the Lakeland blenders do yet they clearly have a lot of fans.

There are two "Lakeland" blenders (the Gawiths), so named because they both are located in the Lake District of England. They are some of the only tobacco manufacturers left in the U.K. and have a lot of history between them. Sam Gawith even holds a worlds record for having the oldest piece of industrial machinery still in operation, and they still use it to make the same blends it made two centuries ago.

There are both flavored and unflavored tobaccos from both companies (they call them "scented" and "unscented"). The unscented blends are almost universally popular, but the scented ones trigger a strong love/hate reaction. They are often called "soapy," but I think they only taste like "soap" or "grandmothers perfume" to those who are unable to associate floral tastes and scents with anything other than toiletries. That sort of makes sense for Americans, but that isn't the experience of the rest of the world. For the British, who conquered India and appropriated much of its cuisine, I can only imagine this type of flavoring seemed as natural as cherry, vanilla, etc. seems to us. If you are accustomed to British/Indian foods, however, there won't be anything too surprising and a lot that may please you.

Ennerdale Flake, for instance, is treated with horror by many Americans yet is G&h's best selling flake tobacco. It's got a very complex mixture of flavoring applied such as almond, various fruits, and floral agents like rose. Interestingly enough, the flavors seem to enhance rather than mask the top-notch Virginias used as a base, especially during the second half of a bowl. Bosun Cut Plug, which features clove, is another popular one. The most floral of the lot is Kendal Flake, which tastes almost identical to the rice pudding served at our best local Indian restaurant. Anyway, there are many different blends to choose from, including some that have no discernible flavors added at all but go through a lot of the same processing methods (Full Virgnina Flake and Dark Flake, for instance).

Flavors aside, there are some other very distinctive traits about this genre of tobacco that makes it attractive to some smokers. The processing methods seem to greatly reduce the potential for tongue bite, which is a big deal for those with sensitive palettes. Also, the Lakeland aromatics actually taste pretty much like they smell and do not use any cavendish. American aros, on the other hand, use lots of cavendish and usually don't taste anything like they smell (there are exceptions, but not enough, IMO). Also, if you like tobaccos with a lot of nicotine, then the Lakelands may be exactly what you are looking for. While some of them (like Ennerdale) are mild enough for most anyone to enjoy, blends like Dark Flake and Coniston Cut Plug (not to mention the ropes) are almost dangerous in their strength.

Anyhow, don't let the opinions of those who dislike Lakelands sway you from trying them. They are quite popular (enough so that some have been around for more than 200 years) and for every guy I know who hates them I know another who loves them. I had no intention of even trying them based on all the talk about "soap" until tongue bite and curiosity got the better of me. It took exactly one ounce each of Ennerdale and Kendal flakes to completely convert me.

It is true, however, that the scented Lakelands will ghost a pipe like no one's business, so a cob is a good idea to start.

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Well explained doctorthoss, good source for reference.
It tickles me to read some of the cute discriptions of the Lakeland blends. Yet, they continue to rank high among the majority of gentleman pipe schmokers.
As with all things in life and more over with pipe tobaccy " schmoke what you like, it's all good " 8)

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
As I understand it English purity laws banned the use of flavorings in tobacco in the 19th century. But some floral extracts and alcohol where permitted.
I like lakelands and wonder if its a question of where ones palate grows up :)
Bosoun Plug by Gwaith Hoggarth is a particular favorite, delicious chocolate rose flavor and a good strong smoke. Condor Plug is also excellent.
wonderful stuff..

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Its all good stuff although I have smoked a few Lakelands and they are sort of Condor-ish. There is one out there I smoked about 10 years ago during a Condor famine that I purchased at a tobacconist on 42nd Street. It was like a giant bar of chocolate and when you opened the wrapper it had I think four compartment of tobacco and it was not to bad.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I am not sure it qualifies as a 'typical' Lakeland, but I do like Gawith and Hogarth Bob's Chocolate Flake.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Loving the education! Thank doctorthoss for the info, I am defiantly going to give them a try. I really like the taste and smell of clove so I may try heading that way first.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I'm a big fan of these scented tobaccos from the two Gawiths (and Condor and St. Bruno et al.). I don't usually care for regular aromatics, but these traditional British scented flakes I almost always like. I feel that the base tobaccos in them are of higher quality and that they are much less chemically adulterated than a typical US or Danish/Dutch style aromatics. They often have more vitamin N, as well.
Lakeland refers to what is more usually known as the Lake District, which is in Northwest

England and is known for its many scenic lakes,
... and yet only one of them is actually called a lake. Namely, Bassenthwaite Lake. All the other bodies of water are called water or mere, and smaller ones tarn!

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
...down by the dank tarn of auber,

In the ghoul-haunted woodland of Weir.

Lies the grim schloss of Gawith.

By the door of a legended tomb.

Oh, what demon has tempted me here?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
welcome to the forum, tex. I think the god doctor's post should be copied and kept as an excellent reference piece on Lakelands. I, for one, like them. I find Grousemoor to be delightful and like Earl Grey tea. I also smoke SG 1792, a most singular blend. Enjoy you're journey with the Lakelands and I hope you find the enjoyment that so many of us have with them.

Mar 1, 2014
On the note of "soap" flavours, if you take a Lat bomb and puff on it without restraint and I'm farily certain that tastes more like soap than any Lakeland blend.

I can also get the same alkaline flavour if I just smoke too much in one sitting (usually by the end of the third bowl if I can manage that much).

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
On the note of "soap" flavours, if you take a Lat bomb and puff on it without restraint and I'm farily certain that tastes more like soap than any Lakeland blend.
Can't speak to Lakelands directly, but I am fond of Latakia - and having had my mouth washed out a few times as a kid for swearing where my Mom could hear me, I can tell you that Latakia tastes nothing like soap. Charcoal, maybe, or a good trash barrel bonfire - but not soap. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.