PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I may have to get used to this, but today while I was taking my dog(Abby, our little pit mix) out (in our fenced back yard) a lady walks by with two basset hounds. Our neighbors dog, who is also a pitbull that barks at everyone that walks by but is the the biggest little weenie, starts to bark at the lady and her dogs. He dogs start snarling at our neighbors dog, so I little precious who loves to play runs to the end of our fence that is about 20-30 ft away from the sidewalk and starts to whine and does a happy bark. The lady then screams at me "Pitbulls!!", I reply to the lady they are fine and very friendly. The lady says NO THEY ARE NOT and pulls her snarling dogs across the street. I yell for my dog and the neighbors and they immediately come to me. I am not sure this lady would have acted as such if it were another breed of dog.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
People were the same way in the 1980's with dobermans and back in the 70's with german sheps. I wish people weren't so ignorant to the fact that its NOT the breed that makes them mean its the damn owners who treat them like watch/guard dogs and abuse the animals. My friend has a Dogo Argentino he recieved from a rescue shelter who took the dog from a drug dealer in Toronto back in March. He had the dog at his house for two days and one of his neighbours called OSPCA because they said its a very large pitbull and they don't want it near the fence. The officer came to his house and he told him the story. Anyway, long story short here, it was determined it us not a harmful dog or a pitbull.

The problem with most of these cases is the the fact people will label a breed bad because the media blows stuff way out of proportion when a particular breed does something bad.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
The pit bull topic is always a can of worms on Internet forums!
I raise GSDs, so no first hand experience. A good friend of Miss Perique, however, rescues and raises pits. They seem to be big lovable babies. My experience with high-drive dogs suggests that the temperament of any animal has more to do with the upbringing and the owner than it does any other factor. I've learned, in selling GSDs, that some folks are not cut out to raise large, strong, high-drive dogs. That doesn't mean they're bad people. It just means these animals aren't for them. And that's why I no longer sell dogs. (Plus I got tired of screening out tough guys who wanted to live vicariously through their dog. Bad mix with a GSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.